$600K : Carlingford or Telopea or Castle Hill or Baulkham-Hills ?

Hello Friends,

Any suggestions for best location to buy min 2 bedroom apartment / townhouse in Carlingford or Telopea or Castle Hill or Baulkham-Hills ?

Jenny

$600k for a unit in carlingford? really?

I would take that $600k and buy one of the R and W ex-DOH houses they are selling in Dundas Valley. They are massive blocks with good scope for duplex potential. Take a look at Perry St.

construction cost would be an extra $30k-50k and you would factor than in the purchase price. on the other hand you have pretty amazing views.

It's been many years since I lived in Telopea. But the commute was a pain. The spur line with a change at Clyde was dreadful. Sometimes the train would wait if the main line train was late, but not always, and Clyde is a bleak place to be waiting on a winter's night.

Worth mid to high $500's but prob will go over $600's considering the state of the market and the number of builders also in the market.

I did the old view page source trick (for those playing along at home - rightclick anywhere -> view page source -> search 'price=')- the ad has it listed for 300-400k.

Hi SydHouseHunter

It would be helpful to define your goal and select areas and properties to match. That way with each step you take, you are stepping closer to your goal.

I was wondering are you purchasing a PPOR, purchase an Investment Property? Are you looking for a property likely to grow in value to provide equity for subsequent purchases, or are you looking for cashflow, or are you looking for both? Are you purchasing something for yourself or for a SMSF?

Thanks Jacqui for your comments.
Sorry I might have missed these pts ... pretty new to this forum so bear my mistakes
1> PPOR
2> Both : Are you looking for a property likely to grow in value to provide equity for subsequent purchases, or are you looking for cashflow?
3> Move in with family

I'm not sure if the above property (and location) @ Carlingford is worth 580-600k mark. Any further inputs are much appreciated.

PS : We also noticed there are many 2 bedroom apartments in Parramatta as well (which has relatively lower Strata).

The thing that stands out most about your plan is that you will move into the property you purchase "with family". I am assuming this means a partner and at least one child, but that either way you intend to add more children to the mix.

Would a 2 bedroom unit really be appropriate if this is the case? Or would it force you to sell up and upgrade to something bigger really soon?

The other thing to consider is that a mortgage lasts 25-30 years. You will probably want to enjoy life once or twice along the way (have dinner with friends, be able to afford the odd holiday, enrol your children in sports or clubs). Take care not to stretch yourself too much on a mortgage that would severely restrict your life for a long period of time. Sometimes it is better to take on a property that is a bit more affordable.

Depending upon where you work, is access to transport a consideration? Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill will be on the new train line whereas Carlingford/Telopea are on a branch line (and won't be upgraded until the Parra/Epping line is built if ever).

The older parts of BH/CH are reasonably good value (also heading down towards Blacktown/Seven Hills will give great value, possibly a fibro house on 600 m2).

Back