600mm vs 900m oven/cooktop?

Hi

I'm currently in the process of finalising the plans for a 3 bed, 2 bath house which will initially be a PPOR but with a view to converting it to an IP in around 5 years.

We had initially thought we would go with a standard 600mm wide oven and a 750mm wide gas cooktop. We have since found out that we can get a 900m wide freestanding oven/cooktop for around the same price.

The only downside of going with the bigger option is a small loss of cupboard bench space.

We are torn about which way to go. If it was your place, what would you do? Do you think it would make any difference to resale and/or renting it?

It's in Brisbane and total house/land cost is around $450k. Our plan is to build to slightly higher than the average spec (but without over capitalising).

Thanks

Last edited:
If it's an IP then install a standard 600mm freestanding stove. Easy to repair and replace by any tradesman, and easily available from any big hardware store.

If it was just PPOR then put the 900mm wide stove in, or go separate 900mm cooktop & standard 600mm oven to save the cupboard space. However, this will be more expensive to replace in the future when it becomes an IP.

Would depend on the tenant demographic?

If family then go the bigger option as they will use it more and put more in it.

If DINKS/sharing singles then the smaller one imo.

This DINK recently went shopping for a new PPOR - a priority (almost, but not quite a deal breaker) was a 900mm oven and cook top. I've lived with a 600mm and it does my head in.

If I was looking to rent and was faced with similar properties but the difference was 600mm vs 900mm I'd go the 900mm any day. I would even consider paying $10 extra per week in rent for it.

The loss of bench/cupboard space is negligible.

I'd never willingly go back to a 60cm wide cooktop since we installed a 90cm wide one. I don't cook as much now as when the kids were younger, but back then, I'd often have four pans all vying for space on a 60cm hob... arghhhh!!!

I'd also choose a 90cm wide oven if I was starting again.

westminster knocked it on the head
the 900 would be a wow factor the other place might not have, and if it cost the same then go for it who would notice a little less cupboard space?

and if its for an IP most renters dont have heaps of stuff to put in cupboards anyway

had various 900s of different brands, all terrible, cold and hot spots with dubious performance. twin x 600s is the way to go

When I was renting a few years back a 900mm cooktop was a necessity. Sharing with young professionals. With the plethora of cooking shows around these days I'm sure it would appeal to a lot of people.

If you use the oven a lot, go for a 600 unless you have the coin to drop on a very good 900.

We had a mid-range 900 and it was dreadful for cooking anything in the oven. Took an age to warm up, cold spots, uneven cooking.

Looked great but functionally useless.

Echo others remarks re. large cook tops being great though.

If you put in a 900mm you have to heat up that whole space for sometimes small things (garlic bread, taco shells etc).
In our PPOR we put in two 600mm ovens one on top of the other. We find that really useful. Most of the time only one is in use but there are times when both come in really handy. Not sure whether its a good idea in an IP, and of course it wont suit some kitchens where there isn't much space for full height cupboards.

As a good compromise, go the 900 cooktop and match it with a FF 600 mm U/B oven. You may not need the oven space but the cook will notice the benchtop.

Facing a similar dilema myself on my 4 x 2 IP in Bayswater WA with a similar pricetag to yours. Standard spec is 900 but the builder typically does PPRs in a higher price bracket, so I'm thinking a 600 could be fine for an IP. Good points here about 'standing out' though.

Possibly more important than the size of the cooktop is its placement. Whilst most decent designers/builders aren't this stupid, I currently rent a place that has the oven placed NEXT to the stove, so the cooktop directly abuts a solid 'wall'. What's worse it the large burners are loceted next to the obstruction. Try using a 45cm frypan/wok on a burner 8cm from a wall! Ridiculous.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 900mm oven? Mine has stopped working and looking to replace. Or perhaps what to avoid?

From my research so far there are not a lot of good options so thats something to consider if you are planning to put in a 900mm. Lot easier to replace a 600mm.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 900mm oven? Mine has stopped working and looking to replace. Or perhaps what to avoid?

From my research so far there are not a lot of good options so thats something to consider if you are planning to put in a 900mm. Lot easier to replace a 600mm.

900mm Westinghouse is Australian made and pretty good for price and look.

I've been looking at the ___14S model for a while and will probably get it when I do my kitchen renovation.

They have three different types ranging from about $1500 to $2200.

As a good compromise, go the 900 cooktop and match it with a FF 600 mm U/B oven. You may not need the oven space but the cook will notice the benchtop.

Yep - if you are splitting cooker and oven then I would do 600 under bench oven (and if you want luxury put 2 in!) plus a 700-900 cooktop depending on space.

FWIW When we built 2 yrs ago I put in a freestanding 900 stainless all in one. Super happy with it so far - technika brand. Affordable and it cooks lots of stuff on a regular basis. We have 4 kids and my wife is an avid baker so it gets a good workout.

Back