Any ideas for this kitchen?

Hi all

I'm soon to commence building a PPOR. After sitting on the plans for a few weeks I'm starting to have second thoughts about the kitchen. I've attached a copy of the kitchen from the plan.

My main concern is around the corner pantry. We want lots of storage space, which is why we originally went with a big pantry, but now we are thinking that the pantry is taking up space which could be used more usefully. We intend to have 2x600mm ovens, so once these go in and you also add space for a dishwasher and microwave shelf, there is very little cupboard space left.

The kitchen opens out into the living area so enclosing the area where the breakfast bar currently is isn't an option. We would prefer to keep a window in the kitchen too (even if smaller than the current one). Ultimately, we want to ensure we are making the best use of the space possible for both storage and bench space.

I've been staring at it for hours trying to work out what to change to no avail. What do you think of the corner pantry? What would you do differently?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 99
I like corner walk in pantrys they are very versatile. If you want you can use the lower shelves for pots and pans or containers etc so it can double as a under bench cupboard capacity

If you are putting in 2 ovens, then you're also intending to use them, which in turn means you'll be storing a fair volume of grocery supplies, and also pots and pans. You are definitely going to need that corner cupboard. Even with it I think you'll be feeling restricted with your cupboard space.

What is opposite the kitchen? A pathway/hallway? Perhaps you can put a cupboard there... albeit a shallow one, for storing canned goods and such.

The other thing I would ponder is that while it is a current trend to have the sink on the breakfast bar section, this particular kitchen of yours might get more use of its cupboard space if the sink and dishwasher are instead against the wall under the window. The cupboard space beneath sinks is disrupted by pipes and such. If your breakfast bar area is not hindered by pipes, you'll get more use out of the storage area. Perhaps consider deep drawers for storage of crockery and pots and pans.

Personally I would change it. I don't like ovens next to fridges - nor with little space around them.

Sooooooo I would:
- move ovens to window spot
- do full height cupboards all along the fridge side - 2 pull out cupboards at least.
- do an appliance cupboard on the storage side of the kitchen.

It's not a huge kitchen though.

For your kitchen p0rn I present some good ideas like this - see how they use drawers under the sink instead of a cupboard. And in the corner that would be a lift up appliance cupboard

f873fd7f624870036edd9796a46b67a9.jpg

Pull out pantries
35bf178df33df73be3195d0477c53e55.jpg

Appliance cupboards to fill dead corners

1afd4807bacfddf5ba64c4689bef3ae6.jpg

JacM is on the right track I reckon.

Swap the sink and cooktop around, you will gain loads of storage space under the bench then.

I find having draws under the cooktop area great, smaller ones at the top for utensils , and spices etc laid flat, and larger ones for pots and pans.

Like JacM pointed out the plumbing means sacrificing lots of space under the island bench.

Where is the fridge going??

I would be ditching the corner pantry. I think they make the kitchen look small and why do you need to walk in? If you don't truncate that corner with a door, the only thing you lose is the actual larger floor space inside the cupboard but it overwhelms the rest of the kitchen, which would benefit you more if it was actually floor space. You could ditch it and not lose any storage space. Just make the corner cupboards work as best you can with either a blanked off corner or a lazy susan. I hate corner cupboards and we store things in our corner that aren't used often, large items that don't fit anywhere else.

I'd also move the sink to the window wall and give yourself a good sized run of bench on the breakfast bar area.

And if the window is as wide as it seems, why not close it up and make a smaller window, over the breakfast bar or over the sink and use the wall that you close in full height storage.

If you ditch the corner cupboard you could have storage right along that wall and if you have good light coming in elsewhere, you could do away with the window altogether, especially if there is a window or door just on the other side of the breakfast bar. (Much would depend on alternative windows/light coming into this room.)

I'm also a lover of drawers and we have drawers everywhere we could put them in our kitchen. The only doors we have are under the sink and in the corner. A friend has turned the corner of her kitchen into drawers. I'll see if I can find a photo... fantastic solution to a problem area.

Thanks very much for all of your thoughts and suggestions - lots of food for thought!

I have come up with another design based on the ideas provided. A mock up (not to scale) is attached. Am I correct in thinking that if I put the ovens in an oven tower (shown as OV in the picture) it will create a bit more useful cupboard space? The pantry in this design should be around 1000mm wide and 550mm deep - which I think is still a fairly decent size (would you agree?). The island bench will be about 2000mm by 900mm so also a good size and now not obstructed by the sink.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have on this design.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• kitchen 2.jpg
    kitchen 2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 57
Back