7.30 Report: Comments Pls

As to the 7.30 report, I am sorry now that I missed Rudds talk, I'll try to catch the repeat during the week.:)

Regards JO

Just click on the link in the original post Jo, I just watched Keen and Rudd's interviews that way.

yieldmatters I don't dispute what you are saying, but I am optimistic that the fallout from this is that more people will learn to stop borrowing for cars and TV's and will borrow to purchase assets that will over the long term increase in value. I have just sat my son down to watch the Keen interview and again explained to him just that.

My issue is with the people that are deliberately portraying the economic situation as badly as they can for their own personal gains, their form of economic terrorism will worsen the situation and put more mums and dads on the street than would otherwise be expected.

Btw ym I am not implying that you are doing that. Your posts generally provide an educated informative counter argument and provide a valuable service here.

I try and try to keep an open mind with all persons views and opinions but there are times one needs to take a stand.

For instance, (a bit off topic) regarding Sarah Palin you can try and be as subtle as you want but the reality is shes an idiot. She is the female equivalent of Bush.

The same goes for Steven Keen. I have tried on this forum to argue against what Keen has had to say but its now high time that he too be called what he is and that is, a media tart and an idiot.

Ofcourse what he says sounds oh so logical and rational but so does communism on paper, so does arguments that the free market is over, that capitalism doesn't work or more to the point the real estate institutes argument that population growth, rents etc will by definition bring about a boom while ignoring afford ability and sentiment. Every analysis has logic behind it but all analysis has to be tempered with the REALITY of today.

The REALITY of today is (in AUSTRALIA i.e. where you and me live not WALL ST), there has been no PROPERTY PRICE CRASH. Stop reading into what Keen has to say and think of your own property portfolios???? Have they halved? Have they dropped by 30%? NO.

Its easy to point to the UK, to the US and to other countries having real problems e.g. London property market but thats like pointing to Zimbabwe as an indicator for possible inflation issues.

Calling a recession and Armageddon non stop for 30 years as Keen has doesn't give you the right to now parade yourself like a media tart saying... see i was right. Look at his website he has books from the 70's that argue the same problems as he does today... and in sensationalist fashion "debunking economics".

This is just so annoying and if his view carried ANY weight you would hear others join the chorus... where are the other economists that support his view? why is it ONLY HIM on EVERY BLOODY CHANNEL AND NEWS PROGGY?

Why? because hes the only idiot to make claims like "double the recession in 92". Oh please what a bloody sound bite.

to be clear, Steven Keen is an idiot and as much a champion for economic reason particularly regarding property as Henry Kay was on the other extreme. They should both be put in the same pot of illogical, extremist, sensationalist and idiotic mouthpieces.

to be clear, Steven Keen is an idiot and as much a champion for economic reason particularly regarding property as Henry Kay was on the other extreme. They should both be put in the same pot of illogical, extremist, sensationalist and idiotic mouthpieces.

Yeah Keen has a weak persona, and has rabbited on for years. But that doesn't make him wrong about the risk associated with private debt and the credit bubble. It has taken a shock to the supply of credit to bring it to a head.

As for Keen being a lone voice, list which economists you have read.

Then google some of these guys. Ron Paul, Nuriel Roubini, Jim Puplava, Jim Rogers, Marc Faber, Geoge Soros, John Taylor, Martin Feldstein, Nassim Taleb, Bill Gross... many voices from the Austran School of Economics and Libetarians have been warning for years about the unsustainability of credit fueled consumption.

In Australia, Robert Gotliebsen and Alan Kohler have been bearish since mid 07.

Honestly, tc, people will start thinking you've been left high and dry with Franklin Residences :)

The same goes for Steven Keen. I have tried on this forum to argue against what Keen has had to say but its now high time that he too be called what he is and that is, a media tart and an idiot.
We should get specific ...

Do you believe personal debt levels can grow indefinetly?

If you conclude they can't (which is a very logical conclusion) the the follow up question is ...

Do you believe property values can continue to grow while personal debt growth has stalled?

I think in a scenario of no personal debt growth then only true value add will increase asset values. i.e. a company becoming more productive will increase it's share price, a house in a area that becomes a much nicer area (value add from the side), or a house that has been done up, restored, or redeveloped (direct value add). The days of buying an asset (house or stock) with debt and just sitting tight for some other sucker to borrow even more than you did are over. People will have to actually add value.

Sorry but it seems your pi**ed because you know he's right. Some people have to learn the hard way.

I try and try to keep an open mind with all persons views and opinions but there are times one needs to take a stand.

For instance, (a bit off topic) regarding Sarah Palin you can try and be as subtle as you want but the reality is shes an idiot. She is the female equivalent of Bush.

Ofcourse what he says sounds oh so logical and rational but so does communism on paper, so does arguments that the free market is over, that capitalism doesn't work or more to the point the real estate institutes argument that population growth, rents etc will by definition bring about a boom while ignoring afford ability and sentiment. Every analysis has logic behind it but all analysis has to be tempered with the REALITY of today.

The REALITY of today is (in AUSTRALIA i.e. where you and me live not WALL ST), there has been no PROPERTY PRICE CRASH. Stop reading into what Keen has to say and think of your own property portfolios???? Have they halved? Have they dropped by 30%? NO.

Its easy to point to the UK, to the US and to other countries having real problems e.g. London property market but thats like pointing to Zimbabwe as an indicator for possible inflation issues.

Calling a recession and Armageddon non stop for 30 years as Keen has doesn't give you the right to now parade yourself like a media tart saying... see i was right. Look at his website he has books from the 70's that argue the same problems as he does today... and in sensationalist fashion "debunking economics".

This is just so annoying and if his view carried ANY weight you would hear others join the chorus... where are the other economists that support his view? why is it ONLY HIM on EVERY BLOODY CHANNEL AND NEWS PROGGY?

Why? because hes the only idiot to make claims like "double the recession in 92". Oh please what a bloody sound bite.

Hgrant, a quick look at all 11 of your posts on this forum are all negative and in response to other posts almost never your own. I will post ALL your comments in summary and you will notice a common them. No advice, no experience and all bitter.

My advice is contribute to the discussion rather than simplistic comments like the one you made... your post is the equivalent of me posting a graph showing property prices constantly going up over time and saying "lets make money!!". Neither add value and both simply polarize and obviously are designed to provoke a reaction...

Even though you haven't bought an IP you can still contribute your experiences and views rather than regurgitate a statement or provide a link. Unfortunately the only thing i can garner from your posts is that people with no experience can easily be swayed by the likes of Keen - no offense intended.

as mentioned your posts in a neat and tidy list.

"Your delusional"

"What a crock.....
A quick search of Domain will tell you this is garbage."

"Where did the 15k equity come from"

"Thoughts on what this means for Broken Hill. I was considering purchasing there. Not anymore"

"Have just read the APM June 2008 Quarter Housing Data. Not very reassuring. I think i might hold off in buying my first IP for a little while longer. Why buy when i'll be able to a lot cheaper in 12-18 months time."

"Not sure if we are heading in the right direction. I expect migration to be cut significantly in the next 12 months. It seems every day we hear about a company sacking employees. Today its Fairfax with 550 jobs.
http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0826-42fu.html

Rents are close to a peak for the moment. Owners are being unrealistic with asking prices and places are sitting vacant for weeks.

I don't have a good feeling at all about the next few years. I would love to jump in and buy however i don't feel its time. Anyway it gives me longer to save more money for future purchases."

"Shameless spruiking from the REIQ"

Sorry but it seems your pi**ed because you know he's right. Some people have to learn the hard way.

I have to agree and it is nothing about not beliving, other propertys may flood the market such as self funded retirees, homes the odd holiday house , and the flood of investers, liquidating to decrease their LVR .

My position on this forum is always misunderstood and i believe its based on the assumption that as a developer i think property is always rosy and can never go down or am perpetually biased.. im NOTE. I am not so self indulgent to think my views on a single forum has any sway at all on the market as a whole.. im not even a blip on a radar.. so i write them to pass the time and enjoy the discussion similar to having a coffee with friends talking politics..

To answer your question i ask you to step away from the pros and cons of each argument e.g. personal debt levels and try to see each persons comments in context. Steven Keen has been advocating the same thing for 30 odd years? so lets say he is right in this instance does that mean by definition he has been wrong for 29 years?

I will go further if we run through all his arguments made over 30 years has he ever made claims that were proven wrong? and resoundingly wrong? yes...

All i am trying to say is that if you were wrong before, you can be wrong now. The counter argument is "he maybe right this time" and i agree he may well be.. but like all analysis they are based at a certain point in time..

They exclude the reaction from governments or private industry and the million other factors that play in the outcome of our future. This is why i bring back any theory into the here an now particularly when (like Keen) the theory being pushed has an outcome which is Armageddon. The property market TODAY has not shown any indication of what he claims will happen... this is the only fact today.

I try my best to keep my counter analysis simplistic. For instance if the debt issue didnt explode already and now that rates are going down why should they explode in such a fashion as being purported by keen? see this is where a counter argument will be because unemployment will rise... and they ill counter with but the government will fast track infrastructure projects.. which will be countered by that will only further fuel debt... which I will counter by ...

See the problem? All arguments are logical and make sense and for every economist arguing one position there is 100 others arguing something different. The trick is to know or at least aknowledge that you can be wrong.

For instance if Keen came out and said due to the debt levels we may see an exacerbation of price falls which if not countered now could lead to a recession. I wouldn't have an issue with that.. its a valid view and i agree if we sit on our hands things can blow up.. much like any problem not just the economy.

The problem is when the rhetoric departs from rational and simply turns into screams of media catered bite sized statements like an idiot from the rooftops saying that we will all be punished for our sins and the day of reckoning is coming...

its boring.. its sensationalist and its idiotic. Hence why i call Keen an idiot.

Hope i have made some sense...

PS your arguments are all valid and i agree the LOC days where you build wealth via perpetually refinancing your home is over... i have not argument with this... but your position is a universe away from saying... due to this prices will fall by 30-40% and we will be in a recession twice the magnititude of 92? - surely you see the difference in your statements and those of Keens?

If you conclude they can't (which is a very logical conclusion) the the follow up question is ...

Do you believe property values can continue to grow while personal debt growth has stalled?

I think in a scenario of no personal debt growth then only true value add will increase asset values. i.e. a company becoming more productive will increase it's share price, a house in a area that becomes a much nicer area (value add from the side), or a house that has been done up, restored, or redeveloped (direct value add). The days of buying an asset (house or stock) with debt and just sitting tight for some other sucker to borrow even more than you did are over. People will have to actually add value.

yieldmatters I don't dispute what you are saying, but I am optimistic that the fallout from this is that more people will learn to stop borrowing for cars and TV's and will borrow to purchase assets that will over the long term increase in value. I have just sat my son down to watch the Keen interview and again explained to him just that.

It's a pretty simple financial equation for most people really;

total repayments for all borrowings are not to exceed more than 50% of total income (including all rents and dividends etc).

A Bank Manager from my distant past told me that little gem when I was applying for a loan.

I wonder how many people in the western world are under this percentage?

You can argue that very high income earners don't need to apply the same rules because their living expenses should be a lot less than their income.

But often this isn't the case; they tend to have very expensive consumer spending, and get into financial trouble just the same as the lower income earner.

Excellent post tocaro!

That was without a doubt th emost sound and valid post I have ever read on SS.

Thankyou Tocaro!

You can argue that very high income earners don't need to apply the same rules because their living expenses should be a lot less than their income.

But often this isn't the case; they tend to have very expensive consumer spending, and get into financial trouble just the same as the lower income earner.

Speak for yourself! IMO it's very easy to earn a high income and not engage in commensurate consumer spending. Like all generalisations, there are many exceptions.

Tcocaro - an excellent post and thank you. My crystal ball has debt getting cheaper and that seems to be the consensus response by most to this problem - Mr Keen at the end of this interview said his main advice was to "get out of debt". Why when it is getting cheaper? I can see the point when it is getting more expensive but...?

I guess his response is you may lose your job hence being debt free will help. How much of the population could this be good advice for? ie what will the unemployment rate get to? If it gets to 10% then by definition that is bad advice for 90% of the population. Unless he was just talking about bad debt but he didn't qualify that much. I doubt it though - he seems to be of a mindset that all debt is bad regardless of the historical impacts this would no doubt have had on his own financial situation.

Inflation is almost guaranteed in this - central banks will just keep making credit cheaper until they stimulate enough spending to drive us out of the hole. The wealth still gets destroyed but in a more politically palatable way. Would it be good to be in cash rather than in good debt? I just cannot see it - the best place to be when debt is cheap is in good debt - inflation causes a wealth transfer from the lendor to the borrower. Particularly with property which has always been demonstrated to be a good hedge against inflation because it has intrinsic enduring value. Rents will only stall when it all gets so bad we end up with two families per house - a little way off yet but my crystal ball explodes when I ask it about that...

Tim,

I would be prepared to put aside your obvious and understandable self-interest on this one if you could provide a cogent response to YM's question which, in my view, is at the crux of where Keen is coming from.

Personally, I disagree with Keen's prognosis (I'm seeing a run of the mill recession plus a long-term credit squeeze), but I can't seriously dispute the facts of Australia's unsustainable debt burden.

You sound a little like some associates of mine in the US I addressed in late 2002. Essentially told them they're entire economy was built on a foundation of debt that, in turn, was leveraging asset rather than productive growth and that long term they were stuffed unless they pulled back.

Wasn't a well received presentation!

Got an e-mail from one of them y'day who is looking like putting off retirement by at least 5 years.:eek:

]

Speak for yourself! IMO it's very easy to earn a high income and not engage in commensurate consumer spending. Like all generalisations, there are many exceptions.

I'm not a high income earner these days. I was for a time, and saved my guts out for a block of land (but spent a bit too).

Just an average income these days however; if you don't include investment income.

Yes, it was a generalisation that higher income earners spend lots. But I have observed many of these people whose financial statement is extremely upside down - high income, high doodad count, high consumer debt level, no income producing assets.

So it is worth mentioning here to help educate others who may be about to head down that path.

If you read the post, you'll see I wrote the word; "often" - not "always", and I also wrote the words "tend to" not "always do".

I do agree with you that good debt is ok to have (even in these times) - provided the LVR is at a safe level and cashflow is good.

Banks historically have liked LVR's of 80% or lower for their customers when lending them money for property, so I tend to think of this figure or less when using the word "safe" levels. 70% is actually the highest figure I feel is safe generally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by yieldmatters

Do you believe personal debt levels can grow indefinately?

No.

More people will enter the market as housing becomes more affordable. I work with a number of people who have migrated to Australia, have recently obtained their permanent residency (i.e. been in the country 2 years) and they are saving like mad for their first home. I am always being asked by them whether they should buy yet. I've suggested to them to wait until mid next year when rates have bottomed out.

While I agree that its unlikely that people currently in the market will greatly increase their level of debt (of course some will), many people will enter the market for the first time. This combined with lower interest rates for those already in the market will help maintain the current price of housing until inflation causes wages and rents to catch up with current prices.

Will people have the same confidence in super as they did a few weeks ago. People like me who want to take control of their own financial future will be looking for other ways than just super to do so.
For most people that is either shares, super or property. Which of these three hasnt taking a huge battering in this country to date?
I'm not saying these people will all go and buy 10 IP's but they may buy 1 on low LVR's (like yours truly) and slowly build wealth in a more affordable environment.

To answer the question, I believe they can continue to grow, whether in reality they do or not will be up to the whole 20 million of us.

Last edited:
Ok i wasn't going to respond to this because i believe I have answered it already. The problem you have with my answers are that they do not delve into proving and disproving every point but rather dismissing the premise of the argument as a whole. To argue each point in isolation flies in the face of my argument.

Regardless i will try and respond with an argument that you hopefully deem as you eloquently put it "cogent".

First. You say you agree with keens logic but not his prognosis. Then we are in total agreement, is there a point discussing further?

Not trying to be coy but to claim that ever increasing debt levels is unsustainable surely didn't need a university degree and to become an associate professor to figure out. Nothing goes down forever and nothing goes up forever.

I don't understand the economic credibility gained in stating the dead set obvious.. for instance when everyone was saying the resource boom couldn't ever end i was thinking.. hmm this is probably when it will because the "never end" mantra usually comes ironically at the end of a boom.

But as illogical as those claims are so is the claims on the other end of the spectrum such as Keens'. That its the end of asset price rises. He tempers that mantra with linking it to productivity i.e. if productivity rises then so will prices. No offence but "no sh*t sherlock" productivity rises are one of the reasons for increase wealth... so whats the point? we need to do more?? umm ok.. i agree with that too.

So I agree.. whats his point? That we need to do something about it? Yes i agree but his solutions are non existent beyond bringing prices back to pre 1950 levels - OH CAMMON!!.. and by your own statement you agree his prognosis is idiotic.

If someone came to you and provided a perfectly sound argument about the state of the economy and then off topic started saying he believes in UFOs and was abducted would you choose to dismiss this and still applaud him for his views on the economy? NO! you would think he is a nutter! Then why listen to Keen when the "prognosis" is so CLEARLY flawed and idiotic?

If Keen is right then we are looking at 20% unemployment, 30-40% asset price falls and a depression.

That would mean, ALL BANKS will fail in Australia because a drop in value of that magnitude coupled with the inability of a factor greater than 20% can no longer contribute a single dollar to their loans which will lead to their failure. Further more this will lead to the complete eradication of the finance industry, probably destruction of over 50% of industry and war. Because lets face it when half the country is declared bankrupt we are in "mad max" territory.

I put more credibility that Keen was abducted by aliens than his prognosis.

But i know your so desperate in getting an actual economic type response to yieldmatters statement so I will for your benefit although like the crazy man screaming out end of days i dont think theres value in proving he is incorrect through rational discussion - but here goes.

"Do you believe personal debt levels can grow indefinetly?"

NO - nothing grows indefinitely to propose otherwise is idiotic.

"Do you believe property values can continue to grow while personal debt growth has stalled?"

YES - to claim that the ONLY reason why prices have gone up is idiotic. There is a myriad of reasons.. let me answer with a question. Do you think a harbor side property worth 10 million today will be worth the same in 5 or 10? Do you think the person buying the 10 million dollar property wouldn't have afforded the purchase now that 95% lo-doc is gone? - oh let me guess this case is an exception to the rule? THERES ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE.

Please..... there are more factors contributing to asset prices than credit. Credit is one of them but to turn the fact credit isnt easy to get anymore as the start and end all of capitalism as we know it as suggested by Keen is idiotic.

Further more, governments react and no prognosis\theory survives 12 months let alone a 5-10 year projection like Keen and especially when its as extreme. What happens if Rudd as being suggested brings forward 20billion in infrastructure works which gives jobs, stimulus and "productivity" gains? Has such a move been factored into Keens theories? calcs?

Ill go on, if debt is going to be the driving force behind economic destruction as Keen is suggesting then given it HASN'T HAPPENED IN AUSTRALIA yet then why will it happen now that interest rates are dropping????

It will take something else like MASSIVE unemployment (something he is only recently started to chant because hes struggled with the questions but rates are falling now) but even if we contemplate this scenario. It still proves Keen wrong because debt wont be the driver it would have been unemployment as the instigator and debt the exacerbator.

To argue as Keen has that asset prices both stock and property or anything for that matter has been driven so purely based on easy credit is idiotic. To argue that nothing can be done about the crisis is more idiotic and to argue that the prognosis is so clear and so dire is even more idiotic.

I firmly believe that what causes a great depression or any crisis is not the problem we see coming but the one we dont. We see the credit crisis, we see the economic problems and hence unless we are as mentally retarded as Keen we have the capacity as humans to see a solution.

PS my statements are always AUSTRALIAN centric. I have not analyzed the US and UK markets enough to claim the same but... but i can say that for instance UK lending as a percentage of retail deposits was about 140% the US 96% (much higher than AUS), there was a clear oversupply in property in both countries. Just these few "SMALL" discrepancies between us and them should warrent Keen and others should stop the simplistic, sensationalist argument that its happened there then it can happen here.

Ill say one more thing about the US situation, productivity there is an issue. Any administration not smart enough to see FORD and GE is probably already bankrupt, that an idiotic war costing 10bn a month, failed states\cities such as DETROIT etc etc.. cannot simply put blame of this crisis at the feat of EASY CREDIT.

Keen should put his books down and look out the window.. its a bigger world out there and reality tends to slap the pure theorists around a bit more times than not....

Tim,

I would be prepared to put aside your obvious and understandable self-interest on this one if you could provide a cogent response to YM's question which, in my view, is at the crux of where Keen is coming from.

Personally, I disagree with Keen's prognosis (I'm seeing a run of the mill recession plus a long-term credit squeeze), but I can't seriously dispute the facts of Australia's unsustainable debt burden.

You sound a little like some associates of mine in the US I addressed in late 2002. Essentially told them they're entire economy was built on a foundation of debt that, in turn, was leveraging asset rather than productive growth and that long term they were stuffed unless they pulled back.

Wasn't a well received presentation!

Got an e-mail from one of them y'day who is looking like putting off retirement by at least 5 years.:eek:

]

Am I right in suggesting you would argue that, were the debt surge - which I would suggest has been the major contributor to price movements over the last decade - to ease, you believe it would be "replaced" by (a) increasing productivity and/or (b) govt. pump priming, thereby avoiding any general downward movement in property prices?

If neither occured or were not of sufficient scale to offset reduced debt, do you believe house prices would therefore fall (leaving the quantum out of the discussion for the time being)?

It follows, I presume, that you wouldn't characterise current RE prices in OZ as symptomatic of a bubble?

Ok i wasn't going to respond to this because i believe I have answered it already. The problem you have with my answers are that they do not delve into proving and disproving every point but rather dismissing the premise of the argument as a whole. To argue each point in isolation flies in the face of my argument.

Regardless i will try and respond with an argument that you hopefully deem as you eloquently put it "cogent".

First. You say you agree with keens logic but not his prognosis. Then we are in total agreement, is there a point discussing further?

Not trying to be coy but to claim that ever increasing debt levels is unsustainable surely didn't need a university degree and to become an associate professor to figure out. Nothing goes down forever and nothing goes up forever.

I don't understand the economic credibility gained in stating the dead set obvious.. for instance when everyone was saying the resource boom couldn't ever end i was thinking.. hmm this is probably when it will because the "never end" mantra usually comes ironically at the end of a boom.

But as illogical as those claims are so is the claims on the other end of the spectrum such as Keens'. That its the end of asset price rises. He tempers that mantra with linking it to productivity i.e. if productivity rises then so will prices. No offence but "no sh*t sherlock" productivity rises are one of the reasons for increase wealth... so whats the point? we need to do more?? umm ok.. i agree with that too.

So I agree.. whats his point? That we need to do something about it? Yes i agree but his solutions are non existent beyond bringing prices back to pre 1950 levels - OH CAMMON!!.. and by your own statement you agree his prognosis is idiotic.

If someone came to you and provided a perfectly sound argument about the state of the economy and then off topic started saying he believes in UFOs and was abducted would you choose to dismiss this and still applaud him for his views on the economy? NO! you would think he is a nutter! Then why listen to Keen when the "prognosis" is so CLEARLY flawed and idiotic?

If Keen is right then we are looking at 20% unemployment, 30-40% asset price falls and a depression.

That would mean, ALL BANKS will fail in Australia because a drop in value of that magnitude coupled with the inability of a factor greater than 20% can no longer contribute a single dollar to their loans which will lead to their failure. Further more this will lead to the complete eradication of the finance industry, probably destruction of over 50% of industry and war. Because lets face it when half the country is declared bankrupt we are in "mad max" territory.

I put more credibility that Keen was abducted by aliens than his prognosis.

But i know your so desperate in getting an actual economic type response to yieldmatters statement so I will for your benefit although like the crazy man screaming out end of days i dont think theres value in proving he is incorrect through rational discussion - but here goes.

"Do you believe personal debt levels can grow indefinetly?"

NO - nothing grows indefinitely to propose otherwise is idiotic.

"Do you believe property values can continue to grow while personal debt growth has stalled?"

YES - to claim that the ONLY reason why prices have gone up is idiotic. There is a myriad of reasons.. let me answer with a question. Do you think a harbor side property worth 10 million today will be worth the same in 5 or 10? Do you think the person buying the 10 million dollar property wouldn't have afforded the purchase now that 95% lo-doc is gone? - oh let me guess this case is an exception to the rule? THERES ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE.

Please..... there are more factors contributing to asset prices than credit. Credit is one of them but to turn the fact credit isnt easy to get anymore as the start and end all of capitalism as we know it as suggested by Keen is idiotic.

Further more, governments react and no prognosis\theory survives 12 months let alone a 5-10 year projection like Keen and especially when its as extreme. What happens if Rudd as being suggested brings forward 20billion in infrastructure works which gives jobs, stimulus and "productivity" gains? Has such a move been factored into Keens theories? calcs?

Ill go on, if debt is going to be the driving force behind economic destruction as Keen is suggesting then given it HASN'T HAPPENED IN AUSTRALIA yet then why will it happen now that interest rates are dropping????

It will take something else like MASSIVE unemployment (something he is only recently started to chant because hes struggled with the questions but rates are falling now) but even if we contemplate this scenario. It still proves Keen wrong because debt wont be the driver it would have been unemployment as the instigator and debt the exacerbator.

To argue as Keen has that asset prices both stock and property or anything for that matter has been driven so purely based on easy credit is idiotic. To argue that nothing can be done about the crisis is more idiotic and to argue that the prognosis is so clear and so dire is even more idiotic.

I firmly believe that what causes a great depression or any crisis is not the problem we see coming but the one we dont. We see the credit crisis, we see the economic problems and hence unless we are as mentally retarded as Keen we have the capacity as humans to see a solution.

PS my statements are always AUSTRALIAN centric. I have not analyzed the US and UK markets enough to claim the same but... but i can say that for instance UK lending as a percentage of retail deposits was about 140% the US 96% (much higher than AUS), there was a clear oversupply in property in both countries. Just these few "SMALL" discrepancies between us and them should warrent Keen and others should stop the simplistic, sensationalist argument that its happened there then it can happen here.

Ill say one more thing about the US situation, productivity there is an issue. Any administration not smart enough to see FORD and GE is probably already bankrupt, that an idiotic war costing 10bn a month, failed states\cities such as DETROIT etc etc.. cannot simply put blame of this crisis at the feat of EASY CREDIT.

Keen should put his books down and look out the window.. its a bigger world out there and reality tends to slap the pure theorists around a bit more times than not....

BTW, when I said I didn't subscribe to Keens view as to likely scenarios, I have little doubt the house prices will drop in real terms over the next few years. I just don't see what happen in Western Sydney since 2004 happening at a national level and at the same pace.

My PPOR has increased close to 30% in the last 18 months and I have every expectation that gain will be lost over the next 18.

No i do not believe in "debt surge", whats the right level anyway? Keen for instance makes it his a hobby to pick out ratios from the time of the great depression (income to debt) etc and show how much has changed. I can pick out a million ratios from income to debt to consumption per capita and all it shows is things change over time. Find me a ratio that hasnt changed. Just because it has changed doesn't mean ANYTHING.

He has not convinced me at ALL that "debt" is bad. Thats his mantra. His solution to the crisis is to get rid of all debt???

Its simplistic and idiotic.

House prices depend on much more than just debt levels. If you are here to argue that the only reason that house prices have gone up is debt and hence now that debt is more expensive and harder to come by then prices will fall then theres no point in continuing this thread. There are other factors take for one the supply side or should I say the lack there off.

If you are an economist as you eluded to then you know what happens, those properties now currently priced under the median price will surge in price due to people dropping their expectations, those properties on the top will have price easing and those in the middle will fluctuate. Its how capitalism, free markets sort themselves out - you know this. To imply an across the board Armageddon at the hands of "high debt" is wrong.

What happened in America is not a result of too much debt. Its a result of people who should not have borrowed seeking and being provided loans. Its simple, if regulation had been in place we would have still had as much as debt as we do now except those without assets and/or income wouldn't be in the mix too creating the entire debt scenario toxic.

And your last two paragraphs completely confuse me. On one hand you disagree with Keens prognosis i.e. "I just don't see what happen in Western Sydney since 2004 happening at a national level and at the same pace" but then go on to say "My PPOR has increased close to 30% in the last 18 months and I have every expectation that gain will be lost over the next 18."

Which is it? you agree with Keens 30% fall projection or not?

Let me say something else which i have repeated on this forum until blue in the face. Show me a single stat for a 6 or 12 month period that shows NSW with double figure falls? We keep referring to NSW as being the worst market since 2001? Then show me.... I have posted stats left right and centre I am still waiting to see 30% falls. (ps i agree NSW has been bad, hence why I have only developed in Canberra and Brisbane for the last 5 years... BUT.. i use NSW to prove my point, if NSW is the poster child for hell then show me... -2% is not hell in my books...)

Yes there have been individual suburbs... just as there have been suburbs showing the opposite.

The fact is.. and i keep repeating over and over and over again... no one.. not you, nor keen can show reality correlating to the theory. You can shake your head while reading this but your reply could be simple.. post a 6 or 12 month figure showing a state or territory in the last 5 years posting double digit falls... they have been ALL in the low figures -1,-2 etc INCLUDING.... drum roll the last 6 months...

I appreciate the time you have taken in putting forward your views but like i have mentioned a few times already i disagree with the premise of the argument and therefore there is little point (atleast with me) to continue arguing specifics.

Am I right in suggesting you would argue that, were the debt surge - which I would suggest has been the major contributor to price movements over the last decade - to ease, you believe it would be "replaced" by (a) increasing productivity and/or (b) govt. pump priming, thereby avoiding any general downward movement in property prices?

If neither occured or were not of sufficient scale to offset reduced debt, do you believe house prices would therefore fall (leaving the quantum out of the discussion for the time being)?

It follows, I presume, that you wouldn't characterise current RE prices in OZ as symptomatic of a bubble?

BTW, when I said I didn't subscribe to Keens view as to likely scenarios, I have little doubt the house prices will drop in real terms over the next few years. I just don't see what happen in Western Sydney since 2004 happening at a national level and at the same pace.

My PPOR has increased close to 30% in the last 18 months and I have every expectation that gain will be lost over the next 18.

1. House prices depend on much more than just debt levels.
2. What happened in America is not a result of too much debt. Its a result of people who should not have borrowed seeking and being provided loans.

1. debt level is the main contributor , up to 70%. .. so called housing shortage is less than 5%.
2. yeah. blame the "poor black guy who has no job"... that logic was spoon-fed to people from the very beginning - "an idiot's guide to sub-prime crisis".

People were given loans based on the assumption that property price will not drop significantly. That has been the same assumption for both the "poor black guy" and "sophisticated" property investors. The "poor black guy" might be the first to fall.. the rest will soon follow.

Back