A billion? would you fly into space?

If you had a billion dollars would you spend 25 million on a space flight that spent 2 weeks, and most of it at the international space station?

On the one hand, if you had a billion dollars, 25 million would not be a hell of a lot of money. I would love to do it. You only live once and your a long time dead.

On the other hand, it is the most selfish thing I could possibly think of doing. A space launch uses god knows how much energy, the 25 million would build a hospital, give a million starving people something to eat for a month, give a thousand homeless people a house. Help find a cure for cancer, or help red cross for a year.

Would I do it if I was worth a billion?

Probably. But I think I would have to donate a lot of money to a worthy cause to help my conscience.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/10/AR2007041000340.html
"Charles Simonyi (Hungarian: Simonyi Károly; born September 10, 1948) is a computer software executive who, as head of Microsoft's application software group, oversaw the creation of Microsoft's flagship office applications. He now heads his own company, Intentional Software, with the aim of developing and marketing his concept of Intentional Programming. In 2007, he became the fifth space tourist and the second Hungarian in space. His estimated net worth is $1 billion."

See ya's.

Some interesting points here.

If I had a $1 billion, I would fork out $25 million for a space trip.

Granted, the mone could do some selfless good, but there are a lot of $25 millions in $1 billion. No doubt, if I had this money, I would have spent many times more than $25 million on worth causes already, and a bit of self-indulgence is well within my rights. :)

My $0.02. :)

no need to spend that much to get into space...
http://www.virgingalactic.com/
a mere 200k, very tempting...

rossv

Nah. Not for me. A sub orbital flight. Too short. Like being strapped to a missile.

"Virgin Galactic plans to fly 500 passengers a year at about US$200,000 each, to an altitude of slightly over 100 km, with a total weightless time of 6 minutes.[1][2]

Only about 500 people have been above the arbitrary defined boundary of space at 100 km and gained their astronaut wings since spaceflight began in the 1960s. Nearly all of these spaceflights have been orbital.

Space tourism companies such as Virgin Galactic would increase the number of people flying higher than the defined boundary of space, adding thousands of new "astronauts". Today, the only possible way for private citizens to reach an altitude over 100 km and therefore cross the defined space boundary is through commercial orbital spaceflights provided by the Russian Space Agency, costing roughly US$20 million for a six-day flight."

If I had a billion and wanted to go into space it would be the first class job. With the Russians!!!!! Ha ha...!!!

See ya's.

When you consider that the $25mil is only 30% of the income generated on a $1billlion at 8% why not!!!!!!

People spend that portion plus some on rent for a year or conversely I was looking at some cruises last night one of which was for $25k per person for 93 days.

Cheers

Being human means we have that dam conscience thingo.
Dam conscience I thought died after the Franklin Dam ;)

Here we are talking about soaring into space, and you're talking about going underwater.

And as for Virgin Atlantic- $200K for six minutes of weightlessness- or $25M for 2 weeks... 2 weeks vs 125 minutes... when you have alot more money you can get a lot more value for your money.

Back