Should I consider moving jobs?

Might want to check how well you go now....

Haven't bought a property since early 2010. But did get a pre-approval later in 2010 for upgrading PPOR which we decided to delay and instead I used the funds to invest in share portfolio.

Have a 7 figure margin loan approved few months back which I have used up more than 60%.

Whenever I have needed to borrow money to invest I have never encountered any problems whatsoever for being a contractor.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Might want to check how well you go now....

Didn't have any issues in midst of GFC to get a land + construction loan worth $600K in 2008. Have borrowed for other properties mostly when interest rates were around 7.5% again post GFC.

With my current LVR much lower than before and interest rates around 5.6% if anything I believe my borrowing capacity is much better now than in 2007-2008.

Will be looking to borrow may be sometime early next year. Will see what happens then.

Cheers,
Oracle.

The issue is not so much with LVR but the hurdles which the government has put in protect the so called "lambs" from the wolves. ;)

Didn't have any issues in midst of GFC to get a land + construction loan worth $600K in 2008. Have borrowed for other properties mostly when interest rates were around 7.5% again post GFC.

With my current LVR much lower than before and interest rates around 5.6% if anything I believe my borrowing capacity is much better now than in 2007-2008.

Will be looking to borrow may be sometime early next year. Will see what happens then.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Because they have not yet realised that its someone else's dream they are working for, not their own.

Climbing the corporate ladder - those above look down and see smiling faces, those below look up and see a#(*holes

I agree with this. For me, the main things that I want is to be in a job that I enjoy and to work with people who are generally tolerable. I get paid to post on Facebook which I'm not giving up too easily :p

It sounds like you know what you're doing MsAli. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself

Your work environment is debilitating and I've worked with many people like that over the years.

Deltaberry, the odd thing is I do like aggressive cultures. BUT I know what you mean...it is abusive when management thinks they have the right to expect you to be on alert for weekend work when they declare as necessary. I literally had no life between July 2010 and September 2011 till we went live as there was "threat" of weekend work often from my THEN boss and the last 3-4 months of the project I was at work even till 11pm most nights with weekly targets to deliver. With software testing being end of the software life cycle I was the last one to finish every night. Not to forget we had no dinners at work and I had dinner at mid night when I got home. By the end of it all, we were even refused cab charges and were asked to use our own credit cards and request refunds....Yeh it wasn't fun. At least though we have toast and cereals at work so I survived!

Supposedly, I work for one of the most sought after work places in investment banking in Australia...:eek:

It sounds like you know what you're doing MsAli. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself

Thanks cimbom :)

I barely spoke with my boss during the week. He had asked me to let someone in the offshore office drive the training for the newbies in the team. He wanted this person to be given a chance. But since the training didn't have much content as to why things are done the offshore lead asked me to ask the business analysts to do a training...coincidently there was one organised by the BA for a London team so I just got the invites forwarded and asked the team to attend if they "wished". Clearly, I didn't need to attend it as I do have that background knowledge. But my boss sent me an instant messaging with a sad smiley saying there was a 6-7pm training and I responded with a "=)..." AND left work at 5:25pm as I usually do.

What he doesn't get it, I am in the office 8:30am most mornings while most people (including him) come at 9 and even after and leave by 6pm...So I don't see why the hinting of long hours.

And plus this week I was upset so I went out of my way to help others in my team and worked with at least 4-5 BA's from various areas and I was STILL left with spare time. I think I've learnt the knack to methodically target what's really required to deliver in my role, know the system we are working on well. I am happy to work back where required to meet my goals and do what I have been assigned. Now it's up to him to challenge me. And if he doesn't have confidence in me (yet expects me to volunteer AND not ask me to volunteer) - there is little I can do. And I bet that pointing out other career women is against the EEO policy anyway.

I am inclined that early next year I am going to ask for support to transition to BA land....as that will give me better options and keep me engaged in work.

Last edited:
Hi MsAli

Please don't take this the wrong way but......

Maybe you need to start selling yourself a little bit more at work. You need to be noticed as people need to know how good your are not just sit there and do your job and think that will carry you.

Look at it this way. The job gives you the cash flow to allow you to buy property cash flow is important to your aim to buy property thus job is important to the aim to buy property. They are intertwined as illustrated by the discussion about contracting and damage to ability to buy property. ( personally never found this to be the case - but everybody has their beliefs)

So I suggest that rather than simply doing your job efficiently and then sitting back when you have spare time start selling yourself get out and try and help other people get in your bosses face let him know you have spare capacity etc This will load you up but the payback is people will see that you are ready to take on more. Become the expert and sell, sell, sell yourself.

If this approach doesn't work in the current environment then move on and off the bat tell them you are ambitious and want to move from the job up to the next level.

Cheers

When I said debilitating, I meant your colleagues' short-sightedness is killing your ambitions.

I've worked in investment banking (as an investment banker) and there are places where my colleagues have this short-sighted, debilitating attitude where their salary and their job was some holy grail in life. I did my dues, worked 8am-2am in these environments, 6 days a week, because people had this attitude. This is a place you don't want to work at if you want to make serious $$.

I've also worked with colleagues who have accumulated over dozens of pubs + freeholds, colleagues who are starting decent online businesses on the side, colleagues who have mines/farmland. And they all take their corporate career as secondary.

When I said debilitating, I meant your colleagues' short-sightedness is killing your ambitions.

I've worked in investment banking (as an investment banker) and there are places where my colleagues have this short-sighted, debilitating attitude where their salary and their job was some holy grail in life. I did my dues, worked 8am-2am in these environments, 6 days a week, because people had this attitude. This is a place you don't want to work at if you want to make serious $$.

Agree, don't intend to buy into that attitude that a job is a be all and end all

I've also worked with colleagues who have accumulated over dozens of pubs + freeholds, colleagues who are starting decent online businesses on the side, colleagues who have mines/farmland. And they all take their corporate career as secondary.

I'm yet to meet any of those where I am. I'm in an IT focussed area and that's probably why I have only ever met 1 person into property (who used to be in the securities business before coming to IT and then going back to the business) in my almost 5 years career =/

I'm yet to meet any of those where I am. I'm in an IT focussed area and that's probably why I have only ever met 1 person into property (who used to be in the securities business before coming to IT and then going back to the business) in my almost 5 years career =/

Remember that we (the PI folk) make up a whole 7% of the population (at least that what it used to be) and that's the people who have only just dipped their toe in the water with at least one investment property and then the %'s drop off dramatically for those with more.

So the likely hood that you generally meet someone who is involved in IP's is so low that when you actually come across one you get a real surprise.

Cheers

PS % seems to have changed

From ATO web site stats for 2008 and 2009 tax years.

property, 2008–09 and 2009–10 income years
Property interests 2008–091 2009–101

2............................/294,158.........307,514
4............................ ..32,011..........33,501
6 or more ................ .14,158..........14,844
Total.....................1,637,808......1,702,793

1 Data for the 2008–09 and 2009–10 income years includes data processed up
to 31 October 2010 and 31 October 2011 respectively.

Funny, I reckon half the people here work in the IT industry

Those are really interesting stats handyandy... it really drops away. I wonder if its due to poorly bought single property cashflow haemmorage turnoff or serviceability or been burnt with a bad tenant etc that makes people stop after 1-2.

Interesting stats! Are these household numbers or stats based on individuals?

Dave, yep...strange!

Funny tag too on this thread "should msali change jobs"...who put that there?

Hi MsAli
IT for me (and has been for last 15 years) a great reason to travel,work and experience 3 countries. and has funded several growing assets here and back home in SE asia.

i can relate to most of what you posted...i still work 9-5 in IT architecture area..but over the years i have gained some skills to put all the 'noise' at work at rest..and view my job just as a means to fund my next IP :)
now i know it was not always possible to do that...i had to transform myself from a subcontinent 'subservient' mindset to an 'western' assertive mindset, i am sure you know what i am talking about :)

you have to decide between having a good life or a great life :)

my career does not picture in my end game..

good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks K_Raheja...Both my boss and I are from the sub continent. I don't have a subservient mindset. However may be cos I moved to the west in my teens and he did in his late 20's that might mean the difference in mindsets.

Career doesn't picture in my end game either. When I finished uni it was the be all and end all....and I knew I was going to be a corporate executive by 40 but now it is that I will be out of corporate well before 40...That's the plan anyway :)

i think in every job there are politics - there was a guy in my area who have severe depression coz he thought that he was bullied by some other guy in terms of non-sharing of information.

i suppose best is to maintain a certain element of health, regular income and limiting the hours you work. there is no point going hard at it too and then really the stress etc has taken it's toll on you.

Do you think that this could be the issue?
Both my boss and I are from the sub continent.

I think sometimes migrant managers put on a 'tough' layer when they deal with similar cultured staff so that they don't seem favouring their own kind.

Ms Ali.. as usual your post (and your thoughts) attracts really good comments!

The general message I'm getting from this thread is that we should not treat our day time job something too serious if we have other goals. Do the job as efficient as possible and spend our energy on the main goal.

Personally I do similar. I spend only 50% of my time on work (but still top the performance reviews). I spend the other 50% on more important things in my life like family matters, research on what ever, organising activities with friends and so on. I could get 20-30% more pay if I chose to stay for the perks!

The general message I'm getting from this thread is that we should not treat our day time job something too serious if we have other goals. Do the job as efficient as possible and spend our energy on the main goal.

I personally struggle with this, especially working in a highly competitive environment - either I am doing something wrong or they are? But I am investing into my future and do not wish to be an employee forever, so this should be the bottom line :(

Back