A BUILDER SIDE: for a change! part 1.

I was contracted to build a second home ie, {dual occy} and after negotian of contracts, i asked the owner does the current tennents aware of this new home , he replie was, yes they are an old couple and they are very easy going!
I organised an opiontment with them and it turns out they are a young couple with two young children, betterstill they have known about the new property for about 2 days by now, they were not happy about this a threatend to do the tribunal thing, so forgoing $200 wk less in rent, and adding a new fence to the front of the yard, and bark some excavation, and a sail awning, this recieved the go ahead, i added 5k to the contract price , as an addion.

I was told to expect the first deposit on the 10 november, this was the official start time, i had spent the 5 k already on the front of the original home, so the tennents can give the ok to start.
As the project was to finish with a Cof O b4 the march 31 deadline all fund transfers were vitaly importand that they be recieved asap as to not slow down the project.
I recieved deposit on the 10 december, with a nudge to hurry up!
Their are no tradies available during this time and digging the footongs b4 xmass was redic, as their would be no concrete or steel in after jan 21 when they get back from hols.
January 25th the footings were in and the next invoiced amt was 10k and i added the 5k for the front works. these invoices in my in tray were clearly marked overdue!
The draw down took 3 wks longer, creating stress and slowing the works down.
i recieved the funds , payed my mortgage pmt, and as many of the accounts as possible.
Second stage was a disaster, the archetect, missed the FFL'S placing the garage .6 meter under the common/original drive, the numbers/sizes were not indicated, as the plumbers needed to place sewer, so incalling the archetect to visit the site. i discovered he fell of his horse, interstate, and broke 3 vertibetes in hos back:eek: we discussed the issues and he asked me to make judgements, as its impossible for him to get to the job, explaining the heights were impossible to recover without changing the planned 2.7 mtr ceilings to the 2.4 mtr ceilings in the lounge room.
Ithem took another wk to get the slab placed anddue to the loss of time and other resorces, i invoiced for, the aggreed 40k at slab compleation.
Burning funds and that ever growing due now pile, i patiently waited for the release of funds, from inspection to placment to acct this took 3.5 weeks, i paid a mortgage payment {mine} and paid all those that patiently waited for their pay. needless to say the funds recieved were 6k short of the amt invoiced.
So i carried more added debt.
I pushed through, frames and windows, had added to the delay , an extra three weeks due to the height and slab issues earlier, frames and trusses rooftiles, and sarking{foil} was all placed,
One again the envelop of time was being streched to its limit, not recieving the last full drawdown made this difficult, and the time required to organise the next progress pment was getting close, i allow 3 weeks MAX! it realy should'nt take longer than that.
The brick layers layed the last brick for the dbl garage whilst holding out the other hand for payment, and so i explained the inspection was tomorrow there abouts, and the funds should get to you in a week , they were cool with this,
Sooo! i am going on to about my 5 week and the bank inspection took 2 wks to get their, the funds transfer has been approved, this was another two weeks, and the bank manager personally called me and said the funds will be in my acct in 24 hours:D
IT has now been 3 days and feeling so bad about the bricklayers i withdraw $200 from my Credit card, and gave them a cq and said i was told 24 hrs, and i will call you when its in???
Yesterday I Missed my first ever mortgage payment EVER!:mad:
The tray of over dues and phone calls come every day now, and at the same time the owner , although knows whats happening with the delayed drawdowns, still placees pressure on me to rush to the next stage??
And thats some of the other side!
i will keep you posted in part two.

yes being a builder is quite a skill set of its own. There are some fabulously wealthy builders getting around and I reckon they are as sharp as a razor. the downside is an ugly bankruptcy

Hi Craig,

What has the bank to say about not releasing your funds?

Is your Mortgage with the same bank as above?

Regards JO

Sooo! i am going on to about my 5 week and the bank inspection took 2 wks to get their, the funds transfer has been approved, this was another two weeks, and the bank manager personally called me and said the funds will be in my acct in 24 hours:D
IT has now been 3 days and feeling so bad about the bricklayers i withdraw $200 from my Credit card, and gave them a cq and said i was told 24 hrs, and i will call you when its in???
Yesterday I Missed my first ever mortgage payment EVER!:mad:
The tray of over dues and phone calls come every day now, and at the same time the owner , although knows whats happening with the delayed drawdowns, still placees pressure on me to rush to the next stage??
And thats some of the other side!
i will keep you posted in part two.
After reading all that, i'm so happy to be away from the building game it will never change,i use to always try and look at the entertainment side of things as long as you can laught it all off,then it's all just experience.good luck ..willair..

Hi Craig,

What has the bank to say about not releasing your funds?

Is your Mortgage with the same bank as above?

Regards JO

Thus far the owners bank has said the funds will be realeased and they are approved to be, you should have them in 24 hrs, but? its seems to be one of those ongoing promises,
Mu bank is ok about this given my history, and being up front, they said it won't go on any history , as long its rendered good within two wks.

About ten years ago I was talking to a builder acquaintance. He was doing well. Always had plenty of cash, good toys, and didn't ever seem stressed. I asked him what the secret was.

He said: 'I never do a job over $40K (it was 10 years ago). So that's a new kitchen and bathroom, or an attic extension, or maybe a small rear add on. The jobs are usually done in 8 weeks. And I never do jobs for solicitors, doctors or lawyers.'

Seemed like a formula that worked for him.

Scott

i'll second the above.

never EVER do work for anyone in the upper white collar classes - they just don't pay.

i have formed this ethic based not on opinion, but very painful experiences.

sorry to hear about your dramas craigb. it's a ***** when payments are slow.

As a plumber this is one of the reasons I would never work for a builder or developer.

Many are undercapitalised and as a tradie you were at the end of the queue and you would end up financing the builder who was financing the owner and should either have
problems you were burnt.

Builders should have capital in place to cover delays as they happen more often than not.

Cheers

Pete

As a plumber this is one of the reasons I would never work for a builder or developer.

Many are undercapitalised and as a tradie you were at the end of the queue and you would end up financing the builder who was financing the owner and should either have
problems you were burnt.

Builders should have capital in place to cover delays as they happen more often than not.

Cheers

Pete

So a builder should have capital, to cover the owner, to cover the plumber, oh I seee?????

Whats that posted on the bottom of your avatar, mlb sports massage? is that somthing that you do in beetween the plumbing jobs!or as well?

So a builder should have capital, to cover the owner, to cover the plumber, oh I seee?????

No.

The builder should have capital to cover his contract with the plumber. The owner has no legal relationship between the builder and plumber.

The plumber has no contract with the owner demonstrated by the fact that
he legally cannot recover any losses from the owner.

As a builder you should know about separation of contracts.

Retired from plumbing.

Pete

Last edited:
pete their is nothing stopping you , creating a contract with a builder?
and in it you can include anything you like.

Hi Craigb

Contracts with progress payments I had with clients had payment due in 7 days.

I always had enough capital available to pay staff, suppliers and sub-contractors should I receive my progress payments late.

It was not up to staff,suppliers or sub-contractors to finance my business.

In your contract with your brickies did that stipulate they don't get paid
until you get paid, if so they should not have their hand out for payment
yet or were they due to be paid on the completion of their work, in which case they should have been paid.

Pete

generaly all /most traded and suppliers get paid within the 30 day period, and that give time to get the product, place the product, get the val, get the funds, pay the subs,
And if their is nothing done their is no money!
As per most . you doo the first week/forntight with the employer and then get that wks pay,
But on that note , they do not get $900 a day either.
the owner is in breach, sooo end the contract and fight for the money, or put up with some delays, so the bricklayers can get more work?
If i had 50 k cash capitol i wouldn't need to build to earn.

problems you were burnt.

Cheers

Pete

Our builder has a very good system - you pay progress payments within 7 days of receiving tax invoices.

No variances are done without being signed for and added to appropriate tax invoice.

Wife rings beforehand and says we will be mailing out eg. progress payment stage 2 do you want us to fax to your lender!

Honestly...
The builder schedules the work eg. to start at the beginning of each month then sends out the progress payment at end of month requesting payment within 7 days.

Now I reckon our lender paid by end of 1st week of next month and the builder had our money sitting in his account for 3 weeks before he paid his materials and tradies who are on 30 day accounts.

Note - Builder is happy to pay tradies when they submit their bills.

Some months the Builder scheduling was/were a bit slack and didn't do much on the job so minimal holding costs.

It was/is beauty to behold if you can manage your cashflow....

Now if a payment is not forthcoming the builder shuts down the job - notifies all tradies and moves onto the next job.

He never does any work if a 7 day payment is not made unless he is notified by Lender who he has faxed Tax Invoice that payment will be made.

I agree Builders can be under capitalised!

If you do a new build and have a few small jobs on at the same time it can give the builder a breathing space to make his own mortgage repayments.

Craig have you a scheduling 'timeline' for building a house? You know production line.

TIP...
Oh yeah our builder - usually builds houses & duplexes that his building partner designs so he doesn't lose control of project!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the light - the buck starts and stops with me...

So a builder should have capital, to cover the owner, to cover the plumber, oh I seee????? GLAD you see that you are the boss & the buck starts and stops with you!

Craig
IMHO - A builder should have a planned system to manage his cashflow out and in, his clients and his tradies'.

PM me if you are interested in talking.

What building software do you use - not that I have any but have heard Plansoft or Softplan is good.

Knowing what I know about the back offices/efficiency etc of various lenders around the place, I'm surpised more builders don't ask, prior to taking the job, which funder is involved.

Were I a builder, I can think of one or two that would avoid for all the reasons cragib has experienced.

Thanks for the replies, the building progress was not the issue it was continuing at good faith after the seven days had passed , as i was short on the first, due to the banks vals, and then behind due to the height and stud changes,
The manager, of ANZ personaly handeled this and i was told it will be in the acct ie one week, then ie 4 days, then ie 24 hours, who not to belive, should hav i simply stoped the progress after 7 days???
or do you keep going, to better the project,

How many of you have purchased a car, and or a home , and was told the moneys will be their at x day only to be let down, by somone or thing, should i say well you should have had capitol in case this has happened??
I have over 80k in accounts, and untill know over the last 7 years this has not been an issue, just sometimes, you get caught out, still human you know?:(

Sometimes a series of events like this can lead to stress and cashflow issues. Yes, you are human mate, and got caught out. I am sure you will evaluate and learn from the experience to avoid it happening again - which is being not just human - but being a wise human. :)

Back