A good laugh - Greenwood property investments

If i'm speaking for others without consent, I apolegise... But as a (very) "general rule" this guy does not deserve the time of day on this Forum.

If i'm speaking for others without consent, I apolegise... But as a (very) "general rule" this guy does not deserve the time of day on this Forum.

I agree, look at people like Rick Otton and all the success he has had and continues to enjoy, he lets NJ jump up and down like a monkey in the backgroud and scream as much as he wants, but Rick Otton just continues on with his life and completely ignores him.

Something I've learned as a parent is that when children have tantrums it is best to ignore them ;) :D

Most of us grow out of them as adults ;)

I agree, look at people like Rick Otton and all the success he has had and continues to enjoy, he lets NJ jump up and down like a monkey in the backgroud and scream as much as he wants, but Rick Otton just continues on with his life and completely ignores him.

As Im sure Rick is laughing too!:)

Neil Jenman is a smart guy. He's made a lot of money from his "opinions". I've heard rumours of $15-20M+. Not bad, and which is a lot more than a lot of the gurus he tries to crucify.

He simply does what most businesses do; create a need and then conveniently supply a product. ("I need a Jenman Approved Agent. Oh look, there's one!")

I agree that the guy is an arrogant little so-and-so. But think about it this way, you should be glad that he's discouraging so many people from investing in property, because it leaves more opportunity for you and me.

I know someone who was going to become a Jenman agent. She did all the courses, tests etc but it became clear that the way that they get listings is not through advertising. They go door to door (literally) talking to home owners about using Jenman if they think about selling. No calling, no leaflets, no ads. They literally have to visit people in their areas. (This person did NOT become a Jenman agent consequently).

PS I think somebody having a go at slick marketing should not have a book with 'DONT SIGN ANYTHING' in bit letters on the front for a title.

Several points about J:

J is the real-estate equivalent of the anti-politician (of which Pauline Hanson has been the most high-profile). Both politicians and the real estate industry have done enough to make the public receptive to various anti-messages. They have made their bed and now must lie in (or about) it.

J cannot be considered 'independent' or 'consumer advocate'. He is however aligning himself more closely with 'buyers advocates' eg Terry Ryder by promoting his books and company.

If the REA nearest me is any guide, J is losing support. When the agent dropped its national franchise name and 'went J', it had an endless loop Jenman tape playing through a speaker at the front of the office at night (for passersby to get the gospel). This only lasted for 6 months or a year. More recently the big 'Don't Sign Anything' illuminated sign was removed. And inside it's J'ness is much less obvious than it was. The publicity strategy chosen certainly gets headlines but is also highly nest-messing.

On the other side of town in a poorer outer suburb another agent remains J, though they can't be following pure J since they advertise and have signboards on houses. However, much like the Salvos align themselves with cleanliness, home economy and goodness amongst the poor*, J agents align themselves with wholesomeness and moral uprightness. For instance by encouraging visitors to offices to help themselves to free apples (stressing the health aspects).

Just as there are similarities between get rich spruikers and modern religious charismatic evangelist movements in style, I believe a similar parallel exists between J and fundamentalist religious evangelism, with similar puritan or moral undercurrents.

Just like the 'sophisticated' middle-class inner-suburbanites frequently laugh off the Fred Niles or the Hillsongs with their simplistic moralistic cliches, I detect a parallel disdain of J's fire-and-brimstone absolutism amongst some who'd consider themselves smart investors. This comes through in some of the posts you see here.

But for a general audience J fills a niche that will remain as long as the present reputation of agents and their institutes remains (sometimes deserved in the case of the latter).

For investors (who will work with whatever sales system is in place to obtain Property X for $Y to generate $Z return), we're perhaps less scared of agents than average buyers are (who might only deal with a few in their life) so some of J's comments are less pertinent.

Peter

(*) For instance Salvos op-shops in poor areas, along with the usual used clothes often sell discount soap and cleaning products. Sometimes cheap new cooking appliances are also sold (presumably to reduce junkfood consumption).

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all
you may like neil or you may not that up to each person.
I happen to like him but thats me and have known him for a very long time, a lot longer then most on these boards,
I don't agree with alot of his thought and he does not agree with alot of mine.
but I would rarther stand next to neil then alot of other in business.
why
because rightly or wrongly he does believe in what he is doing and he does have a right to say what he thinks, there maybe alot who think he is wrong but he is not wrong in the right to his say.
I don't nor do I think he would have problem with people have views but this guy is no idiot he has build a network of people to sell real estate and has views that are not in line with a few people on this board.
well he maybe guilty as charge.
I would fall into the same basket
I don't agree with everyone on this site and I don't think I ever will.
I don't stand up for other people and I don't think neil would need me to do so
he is big enough on his own.
maybe we could orgaine neil to come to a somersoft meeting in glebe and you could ask him question directly.
now that would be very interesting and give a very different view of real estate.
my .002

maybe we could orgaine neil to come to a somersoft meeting in glebe and you could ask him question directly.
now that would be very interesting and give a very different view of real estate.
my .002

I'm busy that night:p

Last edited by a moderator:
As with all things in life. There is a balance.

Some jenman things i agree with, some I dont necessarily.

I agree with his views on auctions, advertising, spruikers and wrapping.

However I do have some issues with his views on always offer your BEST price when buying and his sob stories about people who missed out on a great family property because they did not offer their best price. Some of these articles are obvisiously selling agent biased.

As with all things in life. There is a balance.

Some jenman things i agree with, some I dont necessarily.

I agree with his views on auctions, advertising, spruikers and wrapping.

However I do have some issues with his views on always offer your BEST price when buying and his sob stories about people who missed out on a great family property because they did not offer their best price. Some of these articles are obvisiously selling agent biased.
While I agree with some of what he is trying to achieve, I don't agree that there is a black and white on some of these issues.

I've chosen not to follow wraps, for instance- not because I don't agree with the concept, but because I can see that a wrapper may be unfairly painted with the wrong brush.

There are wrappers who have really helped people who cannot otherwise buy a place of their own. There are others who may have unfairly profited from unsuspecting tenants.

Both sides have been presented in the current affairs shows in recent years. In the stories I've seen, I suspect that, in either case, the story has been unfairly one sided.

I agree with you Geoff. There are good and bad wrappers. I can see a win/win in some cases. Its just too high risk for me and not a market I am interested in.

So I am sort of in the middle between the Mcknights/Ottons and Jenman. Well, Maybe a little towards Jenmans views.

I have read 'Don't sign Anything' and thought it was very insightful. I think everyone has something useful to say at one time or another.

As with anything I approach in life...I absorb as much as I can from as many different sources as I can, but only use what I feel relevant to each decision I make. Hence my favorite phrase when refering to myself...I am a sponge.....One day the kids will realize that is not being said because I clean up after them!!

Has anyone actually had a J-rep doing their pitch to sign you up as a vendor?

I have. :mad: I don't know if it was typcial of a J-rep, but my experience was horrible, high pressure and they just would NOT leave.

Last edited:
Friend of mine tried to sell through an agent I recommended. Didn't sell for a few months months and she got really annoyed with him, but then again, she insisted he list it at $370K when he and other agents had said realistic sale price would be $320K.

By the time the listing period was up, she thought my chap was a crook and she listed with a J agent. He told her it was worth between $310K to $349K but if it sold for less than $280K she would not have to pay any commission. WHAT THE????

Funny thing was, it sold for about $305K (by this time she was desparate) and she thought the J agent was fabulous. Go figure ......

Wylie

I think with all agents - you need to set a realistic price and set it against recent sales in the area.

I bought my ppor through a j-agent and paid very close to asking price. I sold my ppor prior to this with an agent via an auction. Boy did they apply the presure in the weeks leading to the auction.

I got the price i wanted via auction, but i am sure i would have got the same price had it not been an auction and probably sold it earlier and without the pressure.

Love him or hate him, I take my hat off to the man who stands up to the low life in the real estate industry. I wish there are someone like him in the medical or the trades to expose the rorts and the tax cheats that's going on !!! The government is turning a blind eye to these crooks.

Back