A nation of whingers

Well, given that people like yourself slag him off for being a conservative right winger (like me :D) who is anti-Labor (and I have said already he used to work for Labor, then the fact that he invites all and sundry on the show would be fair in my view.

Every week he has both Labor and Libs on the show. Yes; Labor cop the bulk of it, but they are the Gubbmint currently.

Julia won't go on the show because she knows it won't be a mutual admiration society back-slap fest interview. She has made no secret that she doesn't like him. But why?

I would have thought it's the perfect opportunity for her to maybe catch a few swinging voters of she went on the show to defend herself.

you obviously missed this bit

Singleton, who shares Rinehart's views on mining and taxes, recently told Fairfax's Good Weekend magazine: ''We [Singleton and Rinehart] have been able to overtly and covertly attack governments … because we have people employed by us like Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones and Ray Hadley who agree with her thinking about the development of our resources, we act in concert in that way.''
unqte

Its incredibly interesting that most of the whingers in this thread are conservatives that live in either qld and west australia. Anyone would think there is a pattern here based on self interest.

A more refreshing approach for some of you would be to say "look aussierogue i am a conservative from a mining state and there is virtually nothing that labour could do in my opinion that would sway my vote and my borderline hatred for left politics. Therefore aussierogue there is little or no point in me spending hours debating policies, legistlation, workd politics, world economics with you because although i will read your posts and try and counter your and other lefty arguements it is just not in my makeup to accept that Julia could be doing a good job".

But that would take self awareness

The arguements on here are so tribal.

Lefties are whingers too;

"I can't survive on this piddly Govt grant"

"How can I feed the kids on this amount of pension"

"Those rich b@stards can't sack me; I've been here 35 years; it's not fair"

"Let's shut those loudmouth mining giants up; they earn too much".

"They can't give our jobs to overseas labor" (forgetting the fact that the mining project will provide jobs for 6,000 Aussies, and the 1700 overseas jobs are because no Aussies will do them)

you obviously missed this bit

Singleton, who shares Rinehart's views on mining and taxes, recently told Fairfax's Good Weekend magazine: ''We [Singleton and Rinehart] have been able to overtly and covertly attack governments … because we have people employed by us like Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones and Ray Hadley who agree with her thinking about the development of our resources, we act in concert in that way.''
unqte

Singleton is the biggest shoit-stirrer in history; he's a classic and you don't get it...he's obviously baiting the lefties.

Andrew Bolt made a terrific point last week; "While the Unions are bleating about the 1700 jobs that have gone overseas, I like to focus on the 6,000 jobs created for Australians"

And there lies the crux of the two mentalities I reckon.

And more importantly, they do news, not opinion.

So, having a panel of lefties such as Barry Humphries and others sitting there making disgusting personal attacks on Gina Reinhardt's personal appearance is news?

Last edited:
Why do you try to measure the 'performance' of a government via the number of Bills passed in parliament?

:eek: Er... because, at the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, that is how governments get things done. They pass legislation. It's part of our democracy.
I am aghast at the blinkered belligerance that would insist this government has achieved nothing (and you are far from alone in this) and then claim that the amount of legislation it has passed is, in fact, proof of that. Staggering stuff.

Lefties are whingers too;

"I can't survive on this piddly Govt grant"

"How can I feed the kids on this amount of pension"

"Those rich b@stards can't sack me; I've been here 35 years; it's not fair"

"Let's shut those loudmouth mining giants up; they earn too much".

"They can't give our jobs to overseas labor" (forgetting the fact that the mining project will provide jobs for 6,000 Aussies, and the 1700 overseas jobs are because no Aussies will do them)

I dont get grants
I am not on the pension
I am a rich *******
Mining helped make me rich

This goes to your simplistic state of mind. You think liberal = successful rich wasp people and left = bogan ethcnics who have no class and money.....

So this is for you about status. and you vote with the tribe you aspire too.

Singleton is the biggest shoit-stirrer in history; he's a classic and you don't get it...he's obviously baiting the lefties.

Andrew Bolt made a terrific point last week; "While the Unions are bleating about the 1700 jobs that have gone overseas, I like to focus on the 6,000 jobs created for Australians"

And there lies the crux of the two mentalities I reckon.

nice spin...all wrong

This is an old fashioned model.

The situation is mostly reversed these days, with Liberal voters being right wing talk back listening, tabloid newspaper reading, outer suburban, aspirational voters.

Marc, can i ask do you read a broadsheet or a tabloid?

You think liberal = successful rich wasp people and left = bogan ethcnics who have no class and money.....

So this is for you about status. and you vote with the tribe you aspire too.

The situation is mostly reversed these days, with Liberal voters being right wing talk back listening, tabloid newspaper reading, outer suburban, aspirational voters.

You are sooo wrong on this.

The coloured chart that the AEC puts out after each Federal election clearly shows what you are saying is patent nonsense.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/federal_elections/2010/files/results-map-2010.pdf

You can understand colours can't you....or do you twist that around 180° as well ??

The pink bits (Labor) are almost exclusively in the inner and poorer areas of the major capital cities. The pattern is inescapable.

No wonder ordinary folk get sick of listening to politics, when garbage is spouted as fact. Why doesn't anyone else on here pick you up ??

Reactions: weg

The coloured chart that the AEC puts out after each Federal election clearly shows what you are saying is patent nonsense.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/federal_elections/2010/files/results-map-2010.pdf

You can understand colours can't you....or do you twist that around 180° as well ??

The pink bits (Labor) are almost exclusively in the inner and poorer areas of the major capital cities. The pattern is inescapable.

No wonder ordinary folk get sick of listening to politics, when garbage is spouted as fact. Why doesn't anyone else on here pick you up ??

i know my demographic...but that is just a function of my beliefs. Where as for some the demographic aspiration comes first...beliefs second.

Eg - i wanna be respected and seen of as successful i should vote liberal no matter what.

I prefer - these are my belifes and if someone calls me a liberal then i guess thats what i am.

this comes down to role models. I went to Melbourne High School which is very egalitarian. We have had successful, rich, well known left wingers (Simon Crean, Brian Howe, Barry Jones and various others) who dont fit the welfare bill.

If you grew up in an area where rich people seemd to be all conservative right wingers and bludgers voted for the unions - then you probably dont know any different.

The common element should always be - get rid of the 'noise' (culture and perceptions) and think for yourself.

Where does one start?

HiEquity has already picked him up on the seats/area delusion, but that was dismissed like everything else he doesn't want to believe in :confused:.

Must be good pot he and aussie are smoking :D.

:eek: Er... because, at the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, that is how governments get things done. They pass legislation. It's part of our democracy.
I am aghast at the blinkered belligerance that would insist this government has achieved nothing (and you are far from alone in this) and then claim that the amount of legislation it has passed is, in fact, proof of that. Staggering stuff.

Sorry, that's not correct. Governments are more than just legislating. The three arms of government are the legislature, the executive and the judiciary. But if you think that more government legislation is 'performing' then go ahead and believe it. That's what democracy is - you can think or say whatever you want.

This goes to your simplistic state of mind. You think liberal = successful rich wasp people and left = bogan ethcnics who have no class and money.....

Yes; a generalisation, but as whole groups - Liberal doesn't necessarily equal rich and successful; but generally those who aspire to be rich and successful and don't blame others for them not being there yet.

Also; no class and no money bogans can be any race - but are mostly yer "Poita" Aussie from my experience. The Yanks have "trailer trash" as their bogan representation. (Ev will chime in with "rich cashed-up bogans" about now - rich and bogan aren't in the same sentence in my view)

Labor voters can also be rich too; just look at many of the actors and musicians, but Ev keeps saying it's us Liberal voters who are the whingers, when clearly it is both sides - just the content is different, and it's Labor who are the current Fed Gubbmint, so naturally we will have a go at what ever they do wrong.. same in reverse next year for sure.

If you grew up in an area where rich people seemd to be all conservative right wingers and bludgers voted for the unions - then you probably dont know any different.
This is as about as big as any generalisation I've made here, but it is pretty accurate too.

But bludgers do vote for unions; unions are there to gouge as much as they can for the worker; to make sure those rich b#stard bosses don't take advantage of our brothers.

No bludger is keen on doing a hard days work for a fair days pay, so it's impossible for them to have a mindset like a capitalist Lib pig who aspires to be a boss and/or rich. I've seen plenty of bludgers in the workplace in action too - they are not necessarily a welfare recipient; they are clockwatchers, go-slowers, anti-management, more likely to pilfer stock and equipment and so forth.

Mind you; most nurses are union members and they are a mix of both Lib and Lab. There is a good mix in that industry of both bludging union entrenched dead wood and over-achieving capitalists who work their @rses off.

I grew up with poor parents and lived in nothing but poor neighborhoods my whole adolescent life, and have mixed with both poor and rich since then.

I made a decision when I was about 13 that I was never going to grow up to be like those whining "poor" people and/or pensioners like those I was surrounded by; blaming the world, their bosses, resenting the rich folk, Union voters and members whether it was a good idea or not....most of these were Labor people because in their view the Libs only represented business and weren't interested in the "working families".

By your description I should have voted Labor with this upbringing.

It's like the generalisation that poor areas beget the most crime etc - "what hope did they have given their upbringing?". While it is a generalisation - it is mostly (and sadly) true.

Marc, can i ask do you read a broadsheet or a tabloid?

Haven't read a fair-dinkum newspaper in absolutely ages, Ev...only the local "Leader" - free circulated one which comes out every Thurs.

I listen to talk back only when I get in a customer's car to move it at work, and the radio in their car happens to be on a talk-back station... a few seconds here and there, otherwise...no.

My selection for radio at work was 91.5 until they changed it to "Smooth FM" added Michael Buble ad infinitum, and generally put me to sleep, to now 104.3 Gold FM (now that Grubby and DeeDee have gone and they don't flog them to death in their ads all day and night, ffs)....frickin' ads are driving me mad, but it's the best of a bad lot for us three at work - who like the older stuff.

Sorry, that's not correct. Governments are more than just legislating. The three arms of government are the legislature, the executive and the judiciary. But if you think that more government legislation is 'performing' then go ahead and believe it. That's what democracy is - you can think or say whatever you want.

I know governments are about more than legislating - d'uh. The point being, they can't achieve anything without legislation . That's a dictatorship.
Propose something, pass it into law, act on it - it's not a difficult concept. Think of the carbon tax (as just one e.g) - proposed, passed (whether Coalition supporters like it or not) and soon to be a reality.

Was that on the news?

You said the ABC "do news - not opinion".

What they were saying was their opinion.

So I'd say the ABC also do opinion.

And worst of all; instead of extolling the benefits of Gina's enormous business which creates enormous wealth for both her and our Country (good luck to her), and employs thousands of people, they could only grind away at her physique and fashion sense.

Is it ok for Barry Humphries to make a squillion out of his chosen profession and look like 10 miles of bad road, but not Gina?

OK Marc, when Fox does news they generally do opinion. When ABC does news they do news, not opinion. I'm sure there is opinion on other p[arts of their programming. What show was the Barry Humphries thing on?

You said the ABC "do news - not opinion".

What they were saying was their opinion.

So I'd say the ABC also do opinion.

And worst of all; instead of extolling the benefits of Gina's enormous business which creates enormous wealth for both her and our Country (good luck to her), and employs thousands of people, they could only grind away at her physique and fashion sense.

Is it ok for Barry Humphries to make a squillion out of his chosen profession and look like 10 miles of bad road, but not Gina?

Hiquity TRIED to pick me up on it but i proved him wrong with this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/federal_elections/2010/files/nsw-results-map-2010.pdf

If you look at page 3 & 4 here (map of 2010 election results) , you can clearly see the large outer ring surrounding Sydney is blue (the mortgage belt).

Where suburbs further in are mostly red. Except for outlying suburbs to the north and south. (p2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry guys, you're wrong again.

Back