A nation of whingers

I've been a regular listener to 702 (cricket tragic) for about 25 years and i've seen the huge changes in the station becoming more relevant, and less fuddy duddy.

And I think its just a sign that kids will always think what their parents are into is old fashioned.

I bet your dad didnt listen to a bunch of ex JJJ announcers on 702. Or play songs from Devo to Joy Division.

It used to be called double JJ. Makes me old if i knew that hey. If that doesnt, the fact that my radio is locked onto 576 RN surely does:)

I bet your dad didnt listen to a bunch of ex JJJ announcers on 702. Or play songs from Devo to Joy Division.

I hate to break it to you, but Devo and Joy Division are 30 + years old now.. while I like them, they are hardly cutting edge.
and if you compare it to when my dad was listening, they were probably also playing music from 30 years previously.

It may seem less fuddy-duddy to you, but that is because they are no longer targetting people like my dad (who would be 80+ if he were alive), they are targetting 40-60 year olds. ie people like you and me!

and while we might consider ourselves to be ultra-cool, we still sound fuddy-duddy to my teenage children!!

Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I remember 20 years ago when 702 was a conservative AM a station for fuddy duddys. Not for 40 year olds but for 50 -70 year olds.

I know Joy Division are not cutting edge, that wasnt my point (and i'm a massive music enthusiast). My point is that 702 now has many ex JJJ announcers, a lot that are in their 20s. Robbie Buck (whose just left), Dominic Knight, even Adam Spencer isnt that old, mid 30's i think.

I hate to break it to you, but Devo and Joy Division are 30 + years old now.. while I like them, they are hardly cutting edge.
and if you compare it to when my dad was listening, they were probably also playing music from 30 years previously.

It may seem less fuddy-duddy to you, but that is because they are no longer targetting people like my dad (who would be 80+ if he were alive), they are targetting 40-60 year olds. ie people like you and me!

and while we might consider ourselves to be ultra-cool, we still sound fuddy-duddy to my teenage children!!

My point is that 702 now has many ex JJJ announcers, a lot that are in their 20s. Robbie Buck (whose just left), Dominic Knight, even Adam Spencer isnt that old, mid 30's i think.

mmmmm... according to google, Adam Spencer is 43, Dominic Knight is 35, Robbie Buck is in mid-30's at least. it seems he likes to keep his age close to his chest, so probably older than that.
Dont get me wrong, I like 702... I just think its definitely targetting middle aged people like myself, and always has done.
But I'm happy to disagree with you. I just dont expect my kids to find it appealing until they are well into their 30's.

We had a fair discussion of this today at our group meeting. The general feeling by the principles is that there is no oversupply of stock and things are selling if priced correctly (which is always the case). The main complaint at our level is the media hyping things up continuously for any small change in results.

i.e. Auction results moving from 58% to 57% deserves an article talking about the slower market when a <5% movement should be a statistically acceptable movement I would think?

Ben

The only thing that matters is: is there more supply than demand or more demand than supply. I think its the former just about everywhere.

We had a fair discussion of this today at our group meeting. The general feeling by the principles is that there is no oversupply of stock and things are selling if priced correctly (which is always the case). The main complaint at our level is the media hyping things up continuously for any small change in results.

i.e. Auction results moving from 58% to 57% deserves an article talking about the slower market when a <5% movement should be a statistically acceptable movement I would think?

Ben

Sbs shows football - its just that they call it soccer.

Yeah; the crowd riots and hooligans are good to watch too.

More biffo than the AFL and Thugby combined. :D

Not so keen on when they start wrecking local shops and cars etc after the boys lose..

Marc, i've come to the conclusion that this thread was made just for you. ;)

Not so keen on when they start wrecking local shops and cars etc after the boys lose..

But you keep on returning to the crease, Ev.

No-one whinges about whingers more than you, have you noticed?

Just don't look at the thread.

I reckon it's an absolute pizzer, this thread. Great fun.

There's an old saying:

Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen.

It took you this long to work that out?

I reckon it's an absolute pizzer, this thread. Great fun.

I concur. 23 pages debating everything from the source of Gina Rinehart's riches to the target age demographic of ABC 702, with a lot of whinging thrown in for good measure. Not only are Australians whingers, we're also pedants.

Overall, in Australia, we are better off than a lot of other countries in the world. But, if we didn't whinge and demand a certain standard of living then maybe we wouldn't be. I think we need people to speak out.

I, personally am sick of reading the unemployment statistics which I know are based on unrealistic data. The data is true, but unrealistic in the sense that if someone is working only 5 hours a week they are considered employed. The truth is they are probably desperately looking to increase their hours and struggling to make ends meet. I think the underemployment statistics need to be recorded as well in order to provide a realistic account of who is and isn't seeking work.

I also feel for my mother who worked full-time her whole life, poured surplus funds into super during her 50's and early 60's. Retired with enough money to live on and then lost a a massive amount of it. She was not investing in high-risk funds. Just balanced funds. She does not have the benefit of another 10-20 years to re-build. She is now on a part pension. I mean, yes, she is managing quite well, but it is disappointing to save and plan your retirement to then have it taken out from under you. I imagine there are many people in her predicament. Many perhaps in their late 60's or 70's that are going back to work on a part-time basis. I think this is unrealistic and not very productive for business. No offence to the older generation (i am heading that way myself) but there is no way that a 70 something individual can learn, adapt and generate work in the same way that a 20 or 30 something can. and it is unfair to expect individuals of that age to be forced back into the workforce.

But, if there was one thing in particular I would whinge about. It is the complete lack of responsibility individuals now take in both their professional and personal life. Customer service in many areas is appalling. People, in general have become so reliant on computers, we have lost the ability to use reasoning, commonsense and logic when dealing with customer service issues. For instance: I ring a company to change my contact details. They tell me they can't do it because the computers are down.
My response: "there is a thing called a piece of paper and a pen. If you write down the details on that you can update the computer once it is up and running". How about that for an idea?
Basic morals, honesty and decency is lacking these days. There is a "no care" factor amongst the human race. People don't look out for each other, doctors don't follow up with their patients, banks rip customers off with excessive fees etc etc. I know there are good people out there...... just seem so hard to find people these days that will go that little extra out of their way to help.

Overall, in Australia, we are better off than a lot of other countries in the world. But, if we didn't whinge and demand a certain standard of living then maybe we wouldn't be. I think we need people to speak out.
Exactly.

Improvement and change comes through discussion and self-analysis, being interested and involved; looking for away to do it better.

It's also good just to vent as well. My wife comes home from the hospital (and me from the workshop) and we both vent to each other. For the most part, what we say to each other won't change much or improve things in our work environment, but it helps your emotional state a lot.

I, personally am sick of reading the unemployment statistics which I know are based on unrealistic data. The data is true, but unrealistic in the sense that if someone is working only 5 hours a week they are considered employed. The truth is they are probably desperately looking to increase their hours and struggling to make ends meet. I think the underemployment statistics need to be recorded as well in order to provide a realistic account of who is and isn't seeking work.
Can't do that; the Gubbmint would look bad.

That's like a real estate agent saying the market is cr@p; the best you'll ever get is a spin ("it's a buyer's market, folks - time to buy")

I also feel for my mother who worked full-time her whole life, poured surplus funds into super during her 50's and early 60's. Retired with enough money to live on and then lost a a massive amount of it. She was not investing in high-risk funds. Just balanced funds. She does not have the benefit of another 10-20 years to re-build. She is now on a part pension. I mean, yes, she is managing quite well, but it is disappointing to save and plan your retirement to then have it taken out from under you. I imagine there are many people in her predicament. Many perhaps in their late 60's or 70's that are going back to work on a part-time basis. I think this is unrealistic and not very productive for business. No offence to the older generation (i am heading that way myself) but there is no way that a 70 something individual can learn, adapt and generate work in the same way that a 20 or 30 something can. and it is unfair to expect individuals of that age to be forced back into the workforce.
Yep; and the bright boys and girls up there on The Hill have decreed that I (an employer) - not you (employee) will fund your super to the tune of a further 3% in the not-to-distant future.

Can I pass that cost on in raising prices? I hope so, but probably won't be able to - the customer wants to pay nothing and get the best, don't forget.

Add that to yer "Why is there nothing made in Australia anymore?" list, and you will see a lot more small businesses closing down, or employing less staff, and you can add that to yer "Whys is there no-one to serve me when I go into XYZ dept stores?"

Whingeing is not the same as discussion, analysis, looking for productive ways to fix a problem, etc. Ist just whingeing and blaming. Why do people keep confusing this?

Whingeing is not the same as discussion, analysis, looking for productive ways to fix a problem, etc. Ist just whingeing and blaming. Why do people keep confusing this?

That's only your interpretation.

I see you can't keep away from this thread. :D

Morbid fascination?

Much whingeing can eventually lead to discussion and analysis to fix the issue.

For example;

Ev PM's his mate on forum; "I'm bloody sick of these whingers on the forum all the time" (whinge)

Ev's mate on forum replies; "Well; why not just put the whingers on ignore?" (discussion and analysis)

Ev; "Hey! you're right....done!" (more discussion and analysis, then productive action to solve problem).

;)

I know there are good people out there...... just seem so hard to find people these days that will go that little extra out of their way to help.

I get plenty of compliments on my efforts to help in my casual job in a store. I like to help and I enjoy hearing that I have made someone's day brighter.

The boss and the "big" boss both want me to greet every person who enters the store (sometimes over 1000 per day but generally between 500 and 1000) whilst also serving at the counter, filling up stock, entering orders in the computer, answering the phone etc. I am on my own in the store with a call button if I need help. I don't jump on people as they enter but I'm happy to catch their eye and say hello. I find people either want to be left alone to browse or look like they need help. Gut instinct.

But no... I am pestered every shift to pounce on people and try to increase sales. I do it my way, and if they don't like it, they can hire someone else. I recently had the big boss actually plonk stock on the counter in front of someone I am serving in an effort to convince them to buy more. They don't see the eyes of the customer who is trying to buy what they have already chosen but I do see the reaction, and it is not good. It is embarrassing and it never works, and I firmly believe those customers will be lost forever. I would not go back to a store if it happened to me.

I don't know any of my friends who likes this hard sell and personally, I avoid shops that do it, so there is no way I'm going to do it to my customers.

Interestingly, a few weeks ago, I was being thanked by someone for going beyond the service they expected. I said "it is a shame the manager never hears this" and she said "I'll see what I can do about that."

A few weeks later, my immediate boss comes out of the back room and says to me "we've been nominated for some local newspaper award for excellent service. WHO would nominate us? (said in disbelief rather than being happy about it)."

Before I could say anything about "isn't that great" she went on to say "F%ck, now I have to fill in a bloody 17 page email questionnaire! I haven't got time for this *****."

I am amazed that the same manager who wants me to pounce on EVERY customer and the boss above her who actually wants me to walk up to every customer and try to sell, sell, sell could be annoyed that the shop has been nominated for a customer service award. I believe it was a direct result of my comment and the very pointed "I'll see what I can do about that" reply from that customer, but I will never know.

For those in business, would you be happy to be nominated, have a plaque in the store or would you just be annoyed at having to respond to a questionnaire? I was gobsmacked, but I will continue to give good customer service whether that translates into a sale or not.

Back