A question from a newbie!

Hi,

I've been lurking here for quite a while, but this is my first post. I hope to be able to tap into the wisdom of the more experienced people here.

I have only one property at this stage, and I live in it. It is a 1950's unit in the Melbourne suburb of Malvern. It is not an apartment, but part of block of 5 units that are not freestanding. The land that the units are on is quite generous in size.

My unit needs renovating on the inside. Specificially:

*The bathroom is a disgrace, with original toilet and vanity units together with some very ugly imitation slate. Words cannot describe....
*The kitchen is not a disgrace but could be improved (it is late 1970's/early 1980's in style)
*The whole interior needs to be repainted
*New blinds/curtains
*Other relatively minor odds and ends, eg the gas heater is the orginal, I would like it replaced with a more modern one.

Here are my main goals with this renovation:
*I am not a very practical person, so a renovation with no DIY.
*Although I live here, I am not emotionally attached to it. My first priority is to renovate it in a way that will give me the best profit (profit = rise in value due to renovation less cost of renovation).

I have no idea how much it would all cost, but would be happy to spend about 40K if need be.

My main question is this:
Is it possible to have all these renovations reliably overseen by one person/business? (Basically, I am not the kind of person who is good with dealing with many different tradesman.) If so, any hints as to who I should contact for such a project.

Metropole on their website mention undertaking "renovation projects", though I have no idea if they would be interested in a small timer like myself who does not regularly use their services. I guess I should rind them and ask them.

Thanks in advance,

Mr T

You do realise that if you get a Project Manager to oversee your reno, you are going to be charged a lot of $$ for it. Why not just start with the most important thing & move on from there.

From what you have said, the bathroom is in most need, & will cost the most, so start from there. Get some quotes from places that do bathrooms in your area. In fact some of the investors here may be able to help with suggesting some Companies that are reliable, do a good quality job & are cost effective.

Without seeing the kitchen, it is hard to know how out of date it is, but if funds are limited after the bathroom has been done, you may be able to get away with painting with the White Knight laminate paint.

Painting will give the entire place an instant face lift, but I would leave that till last. Again, if you don't want to do it yourself, get some quotes from local tradies. Small things will also make a huge difference, like updating the power points to some modern ones. So you could get a few quotes for that too.

Back