A Quick Fix

Hi All
looking for a simple easy solution.[arent we all]

Problem.
Ip ceiling[whole house] was never sealed.It has constantly peeled and the previous owner just kept painting over it.The entire ceiling looks a bit like a tortoise shell !!!Just before we purchased this ip the owner painted the ceiling again. 2004 It has now started peeling again and its not just little flaky bits either.
Anyway l know how to fix the problem by scraping back and filling and sanding then sealing then painting.[big big job]
What l would like to know can l just scape back the peeling areas then seal the entire ceiling then paint? it wont be a perfect job by not filling but this ip is earmarked for a knock down and rebuild in about 5 years so l dont want to put a huge effort or expence into it.
The peeling paint is a bit unsightly.The ip is currently empty, so l could do a quick job.
Any ideas folks??????
cheers yadreamin

Hiya Yadreamin..

Check out http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22107&highlight=bondcrete.

Madmurf talks about adding a 1 part Boncrete into 5 parts paint mix to get the existing layer to bond to the old plaster. Haven't tried it but sounds pretty much on the mark...

We've got exactly the same prob in a bathroom we're doing ATM. I've been up there with a heatgun and a paint scraper. Pain in the **** but doesn't really take that long...getting bodybuilders shoulders as a added benefit :)

R:)

Scrape back the old oil based paint and then use another oil based paint over the top, this usually holds out for a few years, but if the ceiling has been previously painted with a water based paint over the top of the old pealing oil base .............you know the answer (serious elbow grease):D

Scrape as much of the loose flaky stuff off as you can. Then seal with bondcrete. Its diluted with water at I think about 1 part to 4 or 5water. However the instructions are on the can . Consistancy is like milky water so it spreads easily then just paint normaly( two coats).
Have used this method in most rooms in my PPOR which is a 1930s house. Have lived in it for 17 or so years and had to only repaint once in all that time.
Have even mixed in powdered gap filler with wall paint to fill in some of the inconsistancy in the plaster walls. Not a perfect finish but it certainly hasn't needed repainting and probably won't for a long time to come

Greg

Thanks for the tips guys.
I think l will scrape off what l can and use the bondcrete mixed with paint.I reckon l will get away with doing only one coat.Sure hope so.
cheers yadreamin

Well, l ve done it.
After 2 days of totally busting our butts we got all the ceilings scraped back and repainted.
I tell you what l would much rather pay for a new ceiling to be installed than to Ever Ever do that job again. It truly was gut wrenching work.
I mixed 1 part bondcrete to 5 parts paint.The areas that scraped back to the bare plaster board did need 2 coats.As the ceiling was still nice and white l didnt want to do 2 coats all over so l avoided this by getting a little roller and just zippin over the bare areas, then did a complete cover with the paint mix. It worked a treat.
The bondcrete made a difference to the paint, it was quite thick and very little splatter so the clean up of Me was easy too.
It will be interesting to see how long this method lasts, actually l don,t care as l will bulldoze the joint before l ever scrape another inch of it.!!!!

For those of you who do a bit of painting l can highly recommend getting a solver trade card.

shelf price of ceiling white 10 litres $120
roller $8.00
sanding block $3.00

the price l paid $60.00 the lot.
well and truly worth asking for a trade card in my book

cheers yadreamin

Grego ,I walked into the local Solver shop and said l did quite a bit of renovating ,do you have a trade card? They said yes, here is one for you.:D
cheers yadreamin

Well, l ve done it.
After 2 days of totally busting our butts we got all the ceilings scraped back and repainted.
I tell you what l would much rather pay for a new ceiling to be installed than to Ever Ever do that job again. It truly was gut wrenching work.
I mixed 1 part bondcrete to 5 parts paint.The areas that scraped back to the bare plaster board did need 2 coats.As the ceiling was still nice and white l didnt want to do 2 coats all over so l avoided this by getting a little roller and just zippin over the bare areas, then did a complete cover with the paint mix. It worked a treat.
The bondcrete made a difference to the paint, it was quite thick and very little splatter so the clean up of Me was easy too.
It will be interesting to see how long this method lasts, actually l don,t care as l will bulldoze the joint before l ever scrape another inch of it.!!!!

For those of you who do a bit of painting l can highly recommend getting a solver trade card.

shelf price of ceiling white 10 litres $120
roller $8.00
sanding block $3.00

the price l paid $60.00 the lot.
well and truly worth asking for a trade card in my book

cheers yadreamin

unfortunatley l have to report that this method didnt work, the ceiling paint is cracking and lifting again. l am not going to waste anymore $$ or sweat on it l hope it will look ok for another 2 years then l will replace the ceilings when we do a total rebuild
cheers yadreamin

Hi Yadreamin, I was getting quite excited and optimistic with this good advice, and your results sounded so successful. Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out quite as you hoped, especially after all the hard physical yakka.:(

Hopefully it will last a couple of years. In the meantime...we need a wee G&T methinks!:)

cheers
Sharon

unfortunatley l have to report that this method didnt work, the ceiling paint is cracking and lifting again. l am not going to waste anymore $$ or sweat on it l hope it will look ok for another 2 years then l will replace the ceilings when we do a total rebuild
cheers yadreamin

Yada, sounds like you have an older property - am I correct?

How about a big can of paint stripper? Marvelous stuff for taking old paint off colonial windows. Take the lot off and start again with a 3 in 1 sealer, primer undercoat.

same issue

I had the same issue in one of my properties. It too is ear marked for bulldoze or renovation. I am still not decided yet, though. I just got the painter to scrape it and give a coat of paint. Yeah it does not look like a new ceiling but overall, its not too bad and it did not effect getting tenants in.

Depending on how urgent this is.. I wonder if it would be possible to remove all light fittings and cornices and glue/screw (through to joists) new gyprock sheets to the existing ones.. the ceiling would drop by a few mm.. shonky of course :) but might be easier than the mess of taking the existing sheets down :)

Last edited:
Depending on how urgent this is.. I wonder if it would be possible to remove all light fittings and cornices and glue/screw (through to joists) new gyprock sheets to the existing ones.. the ceiling would drop by a few mm.. shonky of course :) but might be easier than the mess of taking the existing sheets down :)

Our previous PPOR had a swirly plaster pattern all over the walls and ceilings, throughout. Seriously, I think it turned so many people off buying it we got ourselves a bargain in the end!! We knew it would be hard work but we scraped back all the walls (manually) and re-painted, but with the ceilings it was just too hard. We found scraping back manually was eating into the gyprock and making it so uneven we'd need to replace it anyway.

So, what I did was remove all the cornice off, a mate came in and we put up new gyprock ceilings throughout (over the top of existing gyprock), and I tell you, it worked perfectly. Replaced all new cornices and it looks like a showhome now. We lived in it for a few years after that, and I tell you, you could not even see the gyprock lines in the ceiling (and I can ALWAYS see gyprock lines in new houses!).

So yes, it works, was a lot easier, and the satisfaction afterwards was fantastic. I can recommend this method to make a really good finish.

Andrew.

Hi all

I am always searching through hardware stores for interesting things to save time / muscle power.

I have a painting that I did on MDF, which I needed to seal as I intend putting it on a wall over our new pond, it will be exposed to all weather.

I found a product in the section where all the exterior oils are, it will seal anything, concrete / limestone etc. you use it staight from the can for a gloss finish and water it down for a sealer (if its good I am going to use it on my bathroom grout). Whilst reading this I wondered if any of these types of sealers would work on a ceiling. I wonder if you had a look around at sealers for other purposes if anything can not be found? You could have alook at the web sites of cabots etc.

Celeste

Quess What?
the ceiling is peeling very badly again so the boncrete didn,t really work.
Does anyone know of any new wonderful products that have hit the market that may solve my problem.
What sort of price is charged for replacing celings these days?
help:(
cheers
yadreamin

An easy quick fix you could have considerd was to screw up fibre cement sheeting and then undercoat and paint i have done this method before except on an old qlder.

Back