A Quick Fix

Hi All
looking for a simple easy solution.[arent we all]

Problem.
Ip ceiling[whole house] was never sealed.It has constantly peeled and the previous owner just kept painting over it.The entire ceiling looks a bit like a tortoise shell !!!Just before we purchased this ip the owner painted the ceiling again. 2004 It has now started peeling again and its not just little flaky bits either.
Anyway l know how to fix the problem by scraping back and filling and sanding then sealing then painting.[big big job]
What l would like to know can l just scape back the peeling areas then seal the entire ceiling then paint? it wont be a perfect job by not filling but this ip is earmarked for a knock down and rebuild in about 5 years so l dont want to put a huge effort or expence into it.
The peeling paint is a bit unsightly.The ip is currently empty, so l could do a quick job.
Any ideas folks??????
cheers yadreamin

We did it the hard way as well Yadreamin

whilst renovating a new purchase we painted throughout, however once the ceilings were done and dry the paint started to resemble crocodile skin, then cracked/crazed and started to lift all the way back to the gyprock..in "every" room

"Is the paint off", we thought?

Trundled down to the local paint shop and were told that if the original painter had not sealed the ceiling prior to painting, then our paint would be lifting the original paint as it dried (bugger :mad:)

Solution

Spent a few days scraping all the ceiling paint off in each room, purchased a sealant from the paint shop (wasn't bondcrete) and sealed the ceilings, waited a day or so and repainted. Only area that had a bad response was the architraves in the bathroom area, this started to have hairline cracks/crazing which then lifted (due to moisture in that room we thought), a second effort fixed it though (maybe we just missed it the first time round?).

All in all fun for all the family (not) hiring a painter is much easier, previously I only used them to do the doors and door frames

Last edited:
Hi Redwing.
How long ago did you do your ceilings this way?
Is it still ok today?
Can you remember the name of the sealer product you used?
I have always used a good quality paint to try and repair this. I will go into our Solver shop today and see what new ideas they have.
I am pretty sure our problem is due to the new plaster and cornise never being sealed.
I have only got about 48hours to fix and clean this up as tennants are set to move straight in after other tennant vacates:eek:

cheers
yadreamin

An easy quick fix you could have considerd was to screw up fibre cement sheeting and then undercoat and paint i have done this method before except on an old qlder.

Thanks toys
l dont have enough time to do this at this stage. But l think it will have to be done sooner or later.
cheers
yadreamin

Back