A self-induced economic slowdown?

It would be interesting to actually find out what percentage of immigrants today are on social welfare, and for how long.

Back in 2001 it was reported that while unemployment levels of new immigrants (17.5%) was higher than locals (7.7% in the late 90s), long-established (23+ yrs) immigrants did have a lower rate (6%) of unemployment.

Today the policy is that new immigrants have to wait for 2 yrs to access social security in all but very extreme circumstances.

Interestingly, mandatory detention was a Labor invention, while the highest rates of immigration Australia has ever seen were under John Howard, who it was alleged, was
"a tricky chap " on immigration, by appearing "tough" on illegal immigration to win support from the working class, while simultaneously winning support from employers with high legal immigration.

So it might seem that a vote against skilled immigration is a vote against the legacy of John Howard (or it might not, depending on the depth of your party-political allegiance).

Anyway, I was only ever setting out to raise the query as to whether people thought our economy did or did not need jobs to be filled by migrants. Evidently it's a suspicion-engendering proposition, so I'll leave it at that.

I would happily hire a migrant to do work for me if they are cheaper and better than a local. At the end of the day for businesses it's about costs and what you get out of an employee.

sounds like a FIRB deal to me, whereby they pay their $400,000 bribe (sorry...i mean "investment") and they get permanent residency.

I don't think they've got that much. Currently renting 2 rooms in a shared accomodation type place. Doesn't seem to know much about investment. One of the reasons why the wife doesn't want to take the course is because of the amount of money they have to pay.

I was actually surprised that they got permanent residency straight away since arriving here around Jan of this year. I know of people that had to wait 2 years and within those 2 years should be working majority of the time otherwise permanent residency won't be approved.

Just a side topic. I met this French guy who is working in a winery and told me he's got 12 months working visa. He then told me that if he wants to extend another 12 months, he has to do fruit picking for 3 months.

while the highest rates of immigration Australia has ever seen were under John Howard,

I didn't think that was correct. So I googled it.

This says that immigration rates went through the roof under Rudd. Remember? The 'Big Australia' that he loves so much?

http://blog.rpdata.com/2010/10/australia’s-rate-of-population-growth-slows-during-march/

Annual-population-growth.jpg

Nope. Rudd beats e'm all.

See ya's.

So big is beautiful in the end, isn't it Mark?

That's a very good question. This weekend I hope to have the spare time (and brain capacity) to reply.

...the highest rates of immigration Australia has ever seen were under John Howard

This says that immigration rates went through the roof under Rudd. Rudd beats e'm all.

At the time of Howard leaving office that statement by Belbo was true (notwithstanding that it is possible that in the years after WW2, that the figures were even higher - if not in absolute terms [simple numbers], almost certainly in relative terms [as a % of overall population]).

According to the ABS, Net Overseas Migration (NOM) figures are as follows:

• In 1995/96 (mostly Keating / a bit Howard), the figure was ~ 104,600
  • In 2006/07 (the last full year under Howard and his biggest number), it was ~232,800.
  • In 2007/08 (almost an even split between Howard and Rudd) it was ~277,300.
  • In 2008/09 (Rudd) it was ~ 299,900.
  • In 2009/10 (Rudd for 359 days / Gillard for 6 days) it was ~ 215,600.

Though if you look at that table (below), you'll see that for almost all of Howard's term the NOM figure was quite modest and didn't grow much (87, 79, 96, 107, 135, 110, 116, 100, 123, 146, 232).

See: ABS Table 3.3 NOM and Components of Population Change.

Regardless of whether they are from the Slightly Right of Centre Party or the Slightly Left of Centre Party, both are economic rationalists at heart. Both believe that growth = wealth and it's extraordinarily difficult (at best) to achieve sustainable economic growth without population increase.
Anyone who has seen Bernard Salt present the expected future decreases in Australia's working population over the past few years will know what I'm talking about.

Back