a story you won't read on the left's ABC

The dominance of Labor by senior union officials has today been confirmed by the decision of elected Member for Corio Gavan O'Connor to reject his party and run as an Independent at the coming election.
Mr O'Connor lost Labor pre-selection in his electorate of Corio to former ACTU Assistant Secretary Richard Marles.

In his dramatic announcement today, Mr O'Connor asked of the new Labor candidate:

"I put these questions to you - How can a person who has been involved in this backroom wheeling and dealing; a person who has kept dossiers on the private lives, personal habits and medical histories of 400 people in this community; a person who has been involved in secretly raising tens of thousands of dollars in undeclared political donations; a person who shies from telling the truth about his involvement in the scandals besetting our community; a person who has manipulated a great political party purely for his own ambition and personal advancement; a person who stands for nothing but himself, take on this task of standing up for ordinary citizens of this community and cleaning it up?" (Statement 18/10/07)

He also said of his former Labor colleagues:

"...they're all union officials..." (Interview 18/10/07)

This is yet another example of the serious questions being raised about union dominance of Labor, this time in their own heartland.

The facts speak for themselves: 70% of Labor's frontbench are former union officials.

A Rudd Labor government would be the most union-dominated in Australia's history.

Under Labor, all government decisions on the economy, interest rates, debt, immigration and education would be decided by a Cabinet which would contain 70% ex-union officials and 5 former ACTU union leaders.

A disaster for Australia

Source Coalition Campaign Headquarters - mailout
www.liberal.org.au

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/meganomics/index.php/theaustralian/comments/do

"Rudd made an interesting admission on Tuesday. “We’ve already done lots of modelling in recent months on a whole range of (tax) options,” he said. “And together with Wayne (Swan) and others, we are working through those as we speak.

“All I can say is we will release it in due season and don’t feel slightly that we need to put anything out by tomorrow lunchtime.”

But the campaign is too late in the cycle for Rudd to begin swotting. This is when mistakes are made.

He has run a successful micro-economic debate against the Government by shifting the focus to the kitchen table. So successful, in fact, that he has reduced Howard and Costello to reciting Labor’s mantra on “working families”.

Yet Rudd seems to have a blind spot on tax.

He may be right that voters care more about service delivery than another bribe.

But Howard and Costello are forcing him to respond. He either agrees with the tax cuts, and changes the topic, fast, or he changes the tax cuts. Either way, he is on their turf now.

The irony here is that Rudd has avoided Latham’s error on the economy only to reprise it on tax."

Dunc, anytime you want to get off your apathetic "I'm alright Jack" lifestyle, and lead by example in caring enough about your local comrades, enough to create them a job that satisfies union ideals, then I am all ears on your politic.....

Dunc, anytime you want to get off your apathetic "I'm alright Jack" lifestyle, and lead by example in caring enough about your local comrades, enough to create them a job that satisfies union ideals, then I am all ears on your politic.....

I'm sorry. You've still failed to make your point. You've wandered off on a tangent based on some pre-supposed image of the life I'm living..

What is the problem with a union dominated government? I see nothing but positives in such a government.

I too would like to know what you think, or anyone really, thinks is wrong with a union domintated government.

what do you think is good about a union dominated government duncan?

I am a strong liberal supporter, but for the first time am sitting on the fence.

I'm sorry. You've still failed to make your point. You've wandered off on a tangent based on some pre-supposed image of the life I'm living..

What is the problem with a union dominated government? I see nothing but positives in such a government.

Care to volunteer a unionist's solution to the small minority living off the recent once in a lifetime assset bubble, who have made it so much more difficult for Gen YZ to settle into perpetuating the population?

Krudd seems to only have a solution for 50,000, over 5 years. A token effort but nice little media sound byte for a dopey leftist media....

what do you think is good about a union dominated government duncan?

Social Justice..

A society based on providing comfortable, rewarding lifestyles for people instead of a society controlled by a government that seeks to make life easy for corporations.. Good working conditions, guaranteed holidays, good, solid, compensation for working on public holidays and other special days..

Not the style of government that we've currently got that seeks to sentence us all to 67 years of Wage Slavery.. dipping our hat and humbling taking the few morsels of reward that what-ever corporation we work for deems fit to compensate us for the 40+ hours of the week we dedicated to their bottom line.. And a government focussed on the environment instead of the bottom lines of the large business that dominate the society we currently live in.

Like so many people have said lately.. I want to live in a society, not a freaking economy. The corporations and business are way smart enough to make a profit irregardless of how the industrial relations landscape is formed.. We're a country built by people and we need to start governing so that people have comfortable, rewarding lives, time to spend with their family, a social welfare programs that catches the truely need and supports them, a country that recognises the injustices we've dealt out to the aboriginals, a society that doesn't treat genuine refugees like scum.. a society that doesn't blindly follow the US in its Foreign Policy.. A country run by people focussed on people..

And Unions have always been focused on social justice... sure as hell the Coalition hasn't.. just look at the fight Union Movement took on to secure financial compensation for those workers poisoned by asbestos.. the government had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the party on that one..

Social Justice..

A society based on providing comfortable, rewarding lifestyles for people instead of a society controlled by a government that seeks to make life easy for corporations.. Good working conditions, guaranteed holidays, good, solid, compensation for working on public holidays and other special days..

You need to come down out of the trees laddy......familiarize yourself with facts, not leftist ABC diatribe.......get familiar with the ABS website....corporations don't provide the majority of jobs in Oz or anywhere. Small business does. microbusiness..... for which unions are irrelevant.........I worked in a small gang for a small business employer once....three unoin delegates were as effective as drunken louts in protecting my rights......unions' first and foremost priority is to sustain themselves....they don't give a toss about little fellas working for microbusinesses......micros ain't got no money to sue for......

Not the style of government that we've currently got that seeks to sentence us all to 67 years of Wage Slavery.. dipping our hat and humbling taking the few morsels of reward that what-ever corporation we work for deems fit to compensate us for the 40+ hours of the week we dedicated to their bottom line.. And a government focussed on the environment instead of the bottom lines of the large business that dominate the society we currently live in.

man, you are living in Pixiesville.......if we won't exploit our resources, China will..........and you and Bob Brown will be smoking ganja and contemplating your navels in a Nirvana not on this planet......

Like so many people have said lately.. I want to live in a society, not a freaking economy. The corporations and business are way smart enough to make a profit irregardless of how the industrial relations landscape is formed.. We're a country built by people and we need to start governing so that people have comfortable, rewarding lives, time to spend with their family, a social welfare programs that catches the truely need and supports them, a country that recognises the injustices we've dealt out to the aboriginals, a society that doesn't treat genuine refugees like scum.. a society that doesn't blindly follow the US in its Foreign Policy.. A country run by people focussed on people..

And Unions have always been focused on social justice... sure as hell the Coalition hasn't.. just look at the fight Union Movement took on to secure financial compensation for those workers poisoned by asbestos.. the government had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the party on that one..

Boy, like so many stars in the eyes lefties, you don't get that there are hungrier apes out there...........suppose, like the Dalai Lama, you'll go and plead with the leader of the free world to save your enviro lifestyle and way of life when some hungrier ape comes along to disrupt your obese utopia....

man, you are living in Pixiesville.......if we won't exploit our resources, China will..........and you and Bob Brown will be smoking ganja and contemplating your navels in a Nirvana not on this planet......

Well your response isn't worthy of a response.. and you still need to buckle down and tell everyone why you have such a problem with a Union Dominated government..

I'd go on, but you seem ill equipped to continue the discussion?

Well I have to say... onya Dunc for such a deliberated response.
I'm not a unionist but it sure struck a chord with me.

Why would anyone want a union dominated government?

Unions are anti business for a start. Any reduction in business profits eventually effect the economy. The best way to reward workers is to have profitable business. Profitable business can pay the most wages.

Unions push up wages beyond production gains. This will lead to inflation.

Union members have never run a profitable business. The country is just the biggest business of all. If they've never run a business, why would they know how to run the country. I would prefer someone who has some sort of runs on the board here. There must be plenty of labour voting and thinking business managers who would be far better qualified than unionists.

Just remember, as a farmer I have an inbred hatred of unions. The best thing John Howard ever did was try to fix the warves, and in the end he did. The efficiency gains have been huge. I think the warfies were embarrased into doing a fair days work. I know plenty of rural based truckies who have had to deal with the warves. What when on down there was a disgrace.

See ya's.

I'd go on, but you seem ill equipped to continue the discussion?

Anytime you want to explain why the Dalai Lama petitions John Howard and George Bush to save his lifestyle, and not Putin or Jintao, I am all ears....

As far as I am concerned, the greatest voice for fairness and equality isn't a union, but a strong democracy, a la Bush and Howard.

And don't that beat all......Mr. No Policies has finally agreed to do one debate....
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/18/2063526.htm
Sheeeesh.... "Mr. I stand for nothing in particular"....

Just from the sidelines,I walked into the city yesterday and watched
Mr Howard-Mr Rudd walk into one of the Brisbane's Churches for the
funeral of the Australian soldier killed in action,Both Rudd-Howard look
very fit men to me, who will lead this country this time next year i don't
think anyone will know till the last few days before the vote..
I worked in the building game for over 27 years mainly in high rise comm
plumbing A/C office refits,under several business names and as i agree
we all need unions it is a fact of life in this country, but they can also have
total control over the way you work in small businesses,i'm not going to go
into the problems they gave me over the years, but it scares the crap out
of me when i know the way the under the radar union system works..
Some very powerfull ex melbourne painters and dockers seems to have
a different public image these days;) ..
willair..

Back