Aaron Sice saves the day

will probably go tassie oak as well. was going to do a karndean vinyl product...warm underfoot, durable and easy to fix (replace a tile if necessary) but I am worried there is still a perception of "it's lino"

For a beach location I think it's perfect if you are renting out. The beach sand will scour off any finish on wooden floorboards.
If you are selling then it might get the stigma - I'm not sure. I like the product myself

Aaron can you pls email that to me asap? having said that, the council has approved the colours (not sure where they even came from now?) so it may be too late. maybe you provided the colours originally?? please feel free to email me anything else you had in mind, just doing it all on the fly at the moment...

e..g builder is talking of uplighting the trees. How or what type of outdoor speakers would you use as i don't think there is any protiection there (thinking of inground somehow), etc. would you do a retractabel awning or sail or just go with nothign?

i would use deck lights to uplight the trees.

designed for no shade cover because the trees will provide the shade you need - any outdoor speakers would be more like PC-style speakers

outdoor-speakers.jpg

i'm pretty sure i did the colours but PLEASE use the original horizontal trimdeck.

hi mate - colours were on the elevations.

need to replace "zincalume" with "colorbond shale grey" to the horizontal trimdeck cladding, "colorbond woodland grey" to the vertical cladding and stipulate alum ext doors/windows and frames using anotec natural matte colour.

the fibre cement cladding was designed to be "colorbond bushland".

not sure what you picked for the deck - i would have liked to have seen thin jarrah boards (cheaper) because they will grey with age and then the colours will sit perfectly with the peppermint trees.

internally, i thought about using a limewash look laminate for the cupboard fronts with an ikea-style timber top - could just use a couple of glulams as well, i guess.

sink is a cutout with sunken bowl.

splashback would be a light green-tint glass to pick up the limewash look.

tas oak is a good choice for the floor, will grey better than sealed jarrah.

walls - colorbond dune 1/4 strength.

Hi Aus
Thanks for posting this, looking forward to continual updates. Great spot, if you do sell, make sure its spring/summer.

Would be interested to know how this market is fairing today. It certainly went into free fall when GFC hit, holiday homes that were tightly held on the market everywhere. Some got lucky and picked up some gems.

Happy to hear that it is all panning out for you.

All the best.

Well done Aaron.

Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
Hey Ausprop - I don't know if this site will give you any inpriration for decision making with colour, flooring choices, etc. if you don't have sorted already.

https://www.facebook.com/bushandbeach/photos_stream

It all looks so much easier than brick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVz3Lz6EMv8&feature=plcp

Aaron and Ausprop, do you think something like what Aus is building would work at Ashfield? Front home is Limestone look render, painted tile Ironstone roof/veranda, jarrah windows - typical 3x1 1965 home. You wouldn't see the new houses from the street. Council had verbally said I could put transportables on it previously, as long as they didn't look like sheds. I'm a bit reluctant to put permanent structures on, (brick) thinking the approx 1568sqm block may be put to better use in the future. Current rents are tempting me.

hi linda, this kind of structure suits most scenarios and i think the draw card with your block is its proximity to the river, followed by whats on it; not the other way around.

the great thing is you could design something like this to be transportable. i know what you're thinking and i like it.

hi linda, this kind of structure suits most scenarios and i think the draw card with your block is its proximity to the river, followed by whats on it; not the other way around.

the great thing is you could design something like this to be transportable. i know what you're thinking and i like it.
Thanks for your opinion Aaron. : )
Looking forward to seeing the progress of your build Ausprop!

That is a great look, will fit in well in that neck of the woods.

How long will it take all up from start to finish.

Can you provide some costings at this point??? Really just curious.

Aaron, is this type of structure used in Perth, Perth mentality double brick or nothing:confused:

Cheers, MTR

there were once in a lifetime bargains to be had down there. how's this, as per rpdata:

346 geo bay rd
9 dec 2006 sold $2.4m
22 Jul 2009 sold $1.3m

ouch

or the one I posted before...
20 thurston lane
i sold 26Jan 2008 $2.3m
buyer spent several hundred k renovating
resold 26Sep12 $1.45m

I hear you re vacant land is a killer - I had way too much when the gfc struck

Wow, he certainly dipped out big time.
When GFC hit I recall the glut of holiday homes on the market, what about all the toys going to auction as well...... I think things have improved down that way though I still think you can snap up some bargains.

Oh well....onwards and upwards as they say

Love it. It hugs that beautiful tree so well.

I hope that tree doesn't get too friendly! :eek: Goodness, there is no way I would be taking such a risk.

The plans look excellent,sort of has the Bryon Bay look

In Byron Shire you are able to cut down any tree within 2 m of the building footprint. I am genuinely concerned about the long term safety of that house guys. Trees grow and winds blow. :(

Back