Abbott or Gillard to win the election ?

• Tony Abbott

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Julia Gillard

Votes: 53 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally Posted by lizzie
in country's like the usa, where they have the computerised voting, voting is optional - so only those who want to vote for a particular party actually go to do so, hence, no donkey votes.
and stuffed if I know which i think is a better system, optional or compulsory.
I doubt the result would be any different. Looking at the US does not convince me that only "the thoughtful" go to the effort of voting. Sometimes I think only the kooks vote there.

Just have to wonder whether this would be a futile exercise. How many people would be likely to change their vote from how they voted on Saturday?
Frizzle

considering that i actually found a party i'd like to vote for, no, it wouldn't change my vote at all.

looks like libs are trying to con us into something:

During the election campaign the Opposition refused to submit its policies for costing because a Treasury document which revealed a shortfall in one of its polices was leaked to the media.

Mr Abbott yesterday again refused to hand over his policies, drawing the ire of independent MPs Tony Windsor and Bob Katter, who said it looked like the Opposition Leader had something to hide.

The independents also want to see the advice prepared by public servants for the new government on how it will implement its plans.

But Mr Abbott also opposes this demand.

"You cannot have the frank and fearless advice of the public service prejudiced by releasing it to people for whom it was never intended," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/26/2993775.htm

can't believe that people seriously think libs can govern this country properly :rolleyes:

Strannik,

You conveniently aren't telling the whole story....

But later Mr Katter told the ABC's Lateline that Mr Abbott was right to be wary of Treasury secretary Ken Henry's "prejudices".

"This is the bloke that brought you the mining tax; I wouldn't be very impressed with his abilities at all."

I guess it all comes back again to which hat you are wearing.

• Red hat - Tony is dodgy and he should just submit them to a completely impartial Treasury.
  • Blue hat - Tony is right not to submit them to a skewed bias view.

The only question is - what coloured hat do you wear ?

Strannik,

how can i be not telling the whole story if i'm giving a link to it? :confused:

Effectively, Tony is saying: "i'll make your life better, maybe, but i'm not gonna tell you how and where the money is going to come from. you just need to trust me and you'll be fine"

It is not only Treasury's higher tax bias, but it's political bias.

- The ideological slob Ken Henry stuck the knife into the Coalition's 10B water security plan to save the Murray Darling, claiming there was no cost benefit analysis. Details of the plan were later leaked from Treasury, to which Henry stated he was 'shocked'. yeah riggghhhttt... Shouldn't Treasury do cba's on all major capital projects?

- Henry deliberately misrepresented the tax miners pay as 17%, to swing support for Rudd's and his RSPT. The real figure is 27.8% and Australia's largest miner BHP paid 41%. When the mining industry demanded to see Henry's costing of RSPT, he resisted until RSPT had been killed off. John Ralph, former Chairman of CBA was shocked at the level of commercial naivety in the modeling when he finally saw it.

- Labor's 43B NBN - where's Ken Henry's criticism re lack of a cost benefit analysis?

- Treasury try to influence an election campaign by leaking Coalition policy docs....No comment from Henry and no AFP investigation of this criminal offence.

Henry is out of the same mould as Rudd, a guy with delusions of grandeur, who operates via the snake's way. This high taxing neo Keynesian leftie meathead bothers himself more with endangered species than ensuring a sustainable economy. Henry quoted recently: "He said society should not let species such as the spotted owl, yellow-footed wallaby or hairy-nosed wombat become extinct." No wonder he demonizes the mining industry.

This quote from Peter Costello underlines his superior judgment on most things, and especially the snake's way of Labor:

"In the early years of the Howard government, treasurer Peter Costello gave junior minister Joe Hockey some firm advice -- never use a Treasury brief to win an argument. Costello told him that resorting to this tactic had the effect of putting department, rather than the government, "in control".

But Treasurer Wayne Swan has repeatedly used this tactic to score political points, giving Treasury far greater influence than it would normally have. It also gave Treasury secretary Ken Henry the "keys to the kingdom" by putting him in charge of the tax review, Hockey argues."

As a recent t-shirt proclaimed "Who elected Ken Henry?

It is disturbing that the independents are overlooking Henry's blatant bias and Treasury's selective leaks of Coalition docs.

Strannik,

Last edited:
WW see my previous post.

it's disturbing to see Libs making promises they aren't willing to back up

It's disturbing you forget in 2007, Labor refused to give all their policies to a Labor biased Treasury for audit prior to the election.

It's disturbing how NSW Labor bankrupted the State.

Considering Treasury has been so delinquent as to show overt Labor bias, their credibility is shot. Let a panel of private and independent auditors check both party's policies.

i don't care if they give it to treasury or not
make the publish it in a news paper so we can all see

for all we know Tony might be thinking of introducing another tax (like the GST that Libs promised we'll never have) to fund his ideas

Comrade (or should I say "friend") Strannik,

You're really showing where your true allegiance lies, aren't you :rolleyes:.

If we're to believe the media, the majority of constiuents in the Independant held seats would prefer their representatives to side with the Coalition............makes one wonder just how much notice these newly elected "members" take of the people they're representing ;)

:cool:

<<for all we know Tony might be thinking of introducing another tax (like the GST that Libs promised we'll never have) to fund his ideas>>

I don't mind which political party you belong, though it is obvious that you are a labour supporter, but the quoted statement by you is simply a lie.

John Howard said before the election "if you vote Liberal back in we will bring in a GST".

They won the election, if they had NOT brought in a GST you would have grounds to claim a broken promise. If they do what they promise, isn't that what we want :confused:

If we're to believe the media, the majority of constiuents in the Independant held seats would prefer their representatives to side with the Coalition............makes one wonder just how much notice these newly elected "members" take of the people they're representing ;)

did someone manage to have a survey of those represented by independents ?

http://www.australiamatters.com/media/never_never_gst_howard.flv

hey that was like watching a time capsule, if they went back any further he would have been in school uniform.

All it proves is that Labor is stuck in a time warp, the year of the election he said he would bring in a GST if elected was later.

I don't have the Libs version nicely packaged like the Labor one, I guess they wouldn't need one as everyone knows it was public knowledge at the time.

Your not really trying to tell me that Labor has never changed its mind are you ?

All I am saying is that he promised to bring in a GST if elected, he was and he did :confused:

I don't care who you follow, my family are a mixed lot so I am used to both sides, I can assure there are quite a few Liberal policies I think are bad.

Comrade (or should I say "friend") Strannik,

You're really showing where your true allegiance lies, aren't you :rolleyes:.

Macca, If someone questions Liberals they are automatically commuinsts with allegiances to something else ? Should people question other parties besides the liberals though, surely is allright isn’t ?

Jaycee, I have voted Labor most of my life but even I could recognise that the Rudd/Gillard gov was extreme left and I could not possibly vote for any party with the distinct pink shade that they wore.

In this case, the label is apt. :)

Macca, If someone questions Liberals they are automatically commuinsts with allegiances to something else ? Should people question other parties besides the liberals though, surely is allright isn’t ?

You quote me but refer to Macca :confused: If you read back through this thread, you'll find where I already stated I didn't vote for either of the major parties ;)

Back