acreage with small house 1 hour from brisbane.

Smart thinking Baby Investor. Yours is a strategy that could make you rich. Land always appreciates, the cheaper the better.

Sadly, acerage rarely sells cheaply these days. Under $300,000 and an hour from a major city - pretty damn hard in Australia. Might be do-able in some parts of the USA, perhaps Florida. Or maybe in some regional Aussie towns.

Be sure to keep us filled in if you find something that makes the grade.

Good find Datto.

But is it a possible subdivision?

Memories of Allan Bond's Brigadoon in WA. Back then, Brigadoon was well priced acreage, pleasant enough, but impossible to subdivide. Although it has appreciated a great deal since the late 80s, it has underperformed the rest of Perth. Great if you own horses or want that sort of lifestyle.

A person chasing acreage in the 80s and 90s could have done very well in some parts of Perth, in areas off the Kwinana and Northern freeways. I know someone who made 20x their money in Wellard.....it took 15 years though.

Like the OP I totally love rural property on acreage, preferably cheap land with future highway plans. The problem lies in finding really cheap stuff. Semi-rural can be a drama for some banks and a higher deposit is often required. It's much more difficult if there is a major road reservation involved.

But the potential gains.....oh so sweet.

Beaniegirl. That's a nice fine. Not too far from the city, and pretty good value. If they would only build a highway through it, this one could rise massively.

Beanie Girl's find looks better. closer to Brisbane. you'd have to check out the flooding situation out there.

Thanks Datto and Grandad. Checked the new draft zoning for this Jimboomba one.
Zoned : Rural residential
Zone Precinct: Park Living

Park living precinct
* primarily consists of dwelling houses and dual occupancies (dual key)
* minimum lot sizes of 100 hectares.

The overlays talk about waterway resource catchments and waterway corridors and wetlands but thankfully don't mention 'flood plain management'

Yeah, but still got to check the Logan flood map. Or rather squint at it.:p

Im just looking for a smallish cottage with a few acres.
Any links would be great.
Cheers.
I'm looking at around 300k or cheaper.

---

Are these any good? The second guys looks to have lots of acre blocks for sale.

House - KALLANGUR Offers Over $389,000 1932m2
http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/house/qld/kallangur/?adid=2010706869&topspot=1

Land - WOODFORD - ACREAGE OWNER LIQUIDATES - LAST REMAINING LOTS! - Sizes 7,492m2 to 5,004m2 - WILL BE SOLD!
http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/vacant-land/qld/woodford/?adid=2010305688

Land - 26 - 28 Ken Street BURPENGARY - Offers over $299,000 - 3001 sqm
http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/acreage-semi-rural/qld/burpengary/?adid=2010846518

House - 15 Acacia Avenue BEERBURRUM - 1110m2 - Offers Over $279,000
http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/acreage-semi-rural/qld/beerburrum/?adid=2010763424

Beenleigh is a great little town with a nice rural feel to it still. On the Gold Coast Highway 4 lane 110kph, well under an hour from Brisbane. I went there from the GC every week for 18mths in about half an hour.

"An hour from Brisbane" can mean many things.

Usually a location an hour from Brisbane city in normal business hours will still be residential.

Places like Woodford and Kilcoy are very nice, an hour from the BCC limits and an hour from where I live.

Acreage at Burpengary and Narangba will be an hour outside of peak time from Brisbane city. Realistically your budget will get you either the land or the house, but not both. (I am currently looking myself for a PPOR)

I saw one nice house advertised for about $300K but it was right on the intersection of Old Gympie Rd and the off ramp to the Motorway.

Down south around Jimboomba (very nice BTW) does get affected by floods and overland water. Anywhere near the Border Ranges is regularly affected by the summer storms. On the north side we hardly ever get the storms that blow up most afternoons.

Back