Adding a Patio

I'd like to add a Patio to a house, but i don't know how to go about arranging the permit or the inspections.

I want to make something around 8 x 4 meters, wood or colorbond.

I can build it myself and draw plans myself, but i'm not a builder or drafts person by trade, so can i get a permit using plans i've drawn, for a patio i will be building myself?

I forgot to mention that i'd like to pour the concrete footings myself, and also build a deck on these, under the patio, so i suppose all this will need plans drawn up aswell. Maybe the deck wouldn't need plans drawn?

[size=-5]Information donated is 100% tax deductible.[/size]

Have you talked to the council?

If it's just a rear deck with a roof you may not need approval.

If you have to submit plans, your ones will probably suffice. Again, the council will tell you what you need to submit.

Regardless of whether you need to submit plans, make sure you get advice on the structure from a builder or engineer.

Scott

Vincenzo, I built my deck/ pergola in February. I didn’t need approval for my deck, it’s only 400mm off the ground, but I needed approval for the pergola and used my own plans. As above, check with your local council.

Highly recommend “The Australian decks and Pergolas construction manual” – Allan Staines and “The roof building manual” – Lloyd Hiddle & Allan Staines. You can get these from the library or bunnings. Really good to help you plan your project to suit council regs. Good ideas too.

Cheers.

Back