Additional natural light to a bedroom on ground floor of a highset house

Hello all,

Not a very creative person here with house layouts, options, etc. So hoping there are some creative individual here that could offer some suggestions. Currently in a high set house and would like to have more natural light to a bedroom on ground floor.

This bedroom only has 1 window and does not get any direct sunlight. Short of putting two holes in two separate walls to put two more windows in, I'm out of ideas.... But I really dont want to put holes in walls if I could avoid it..

Is there such thing as a device that would reflect light from outside and spread the natural light? or am I on star trek thinking? :)

Cheers,

skylight?

How much do you want to spend? I realise that it's a ground floor room you want to brighten.. but could you use tubular skylights that inside look like a small down light? Perhaps run one or more of these tubes from the roof, through the top floor into the ceiling of the ground floor room? The tube would be visible in the top floor (unless hidden inside a robe or cupboard). Placed in the corners of the room they pass through, could be disguised with gyprock or encased in stainless steel pipes. Could be a design feature? It all depends on the style of the house and symmetry /proportion of the rooms above and below.
Just one idea.:)

JASA

I'd put in a very large fluorescent light fitting, recessed into the ceiling and with a diffuser panel overlaid, so it would end up looking like a "faux skylight".

Hi Yots,

You're absolutley on the right track in thinking about reflecting light into the room. You would be surprised at how much light a white panel of some description placed outside the window will reflect into the room. If there is a fence parallel to the window then perhaps attach it to that. Or as a last resort position some planter boxes (white) outside the window. Try to use something that 'makes sense' to the space (outside) rather than just plonking something in the yard for the sake of it.

I have had a few clients use this technique - even on low set homes - particularly for south facing rooms.

Hope that's helpful!

lizzie: that is an interesting idea, any idea on the rough cost?

JASA: I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible, I did notice there was a company that does what you have described. They were using fibre optic cables, sounds like a very high cost options to me.. Thanks for the idea :D

Ozperp: Good option, tho I would really like to go with natural light with no power consumption if possible. Hate using artificial light during day times.

Jane: didnt think of this one, any pics to show by chance? Not a very creative person here... give me a IT problem to solve I can do it pretty easily, anything else is a challenge for me. :\

Thanks for the comments and ideas so far, much appreciated :)

Hi Yots,

You're absolutley on the right track in thinking about reflecting light into the room. You would be surprised at how much light a white panel of some description placed outside the window will reflect into the room. If there is a fence parallel to the window then perhaps attach it to that. Or as a last resort position some planter boxes (white) outside the window. Try to use something that 'makes sense' to the space (outside) rather than just plonking something in the yard for the sake of it.

I have had a few clients use this technique - even on low set homes - particularly for south facing rooms.

Hope that's helpful!

Wouldn't a mirror mounted outside of the window angled slightly work? They work well to reflect light inside a room.

If the fence is close, then maybe just paint the fence white, and make sure any plants are kept short, to not block reflected light.

Or give us a pic or two Yots, one from inside and maybe one from outside aswell. Much easier to explain it this way, each pic tells exactly one thousand words :D

got a similar issue. My apartment is on the ground floor. It's pretty big but i need more light towards the end of the apartment. and the fences are all dark coloured wood types.

Attachments

• courtyard1.jpg
    courtyard1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 124
Back