Advice From Melbournians

Yeah I think we differ a bit on that metric. I would say outer East is anything beyond Mitcham/Ringwood. Not sure about West side because I don't go there.

That's my opinion on the outer east, I prefer the eastern suburbs of Melbourne rather than the North, however, what are your thoguhts on heidelberg, greensborough?

Pakenham is 60ks from town, so your willing to disount 75% of Melbourne?

Absolutely. When I lived at home, it was just under 30kms from Melbourne city and the commute was just not worth it for me. Since moving to Canberra, I've lived between 1 and 3kms from work and it's just not comparable. I have so much more time in my day. :)

That's my opinion on the outer east, I prefer the eastern suburbs of Melbourne rather than the North, however, what are your thoguhts on heidelberg, greensborough?

Not sure of those areas tbh. Always found it a bit too remote. Just avoid Heidelberg West as that is one of the dodgiest places I've visited.

Absolutely. When I lived at home, it was just under 30kms from Melbourne city and the commute was just not worth it for me. Since moving to Canberra, I've lived between 1 and 3kms from work and it's just not comparable. I have so much more time in my day. :)

yeh, canberra is nice, for a small town.

Not everyone commutes to the city each day in Melbourne, dicounting that much of Melbourne means you couldnt start property investing until you had the means to spend $400k for a one bedroom apartment no? Seems a little bit overkill.

Im not saying pakenham is a great area to invest in, just saying only looking at a quarter of the geographic area of Melbourne just because of some notional line on a map is a bit silly.

yeh, canberra is nice, for a small town.

Not everyone commutes to the city each day in Melbourne, dicounting that much of Melbourne means you couldnt start property investing until you had the means to spend $400k for a one bedroom apartment no? Seems a little bit overkill.

I said for a PPOR, not an IP. Obviously IPs would have different criteria. Most jobs in my industry in Melbourne are in the CBD or inner suburbs therefore I would prefer to work closeby.

Well, no you didnt make any reference to PPOR, and the post is about investment properties.

If its your opinion that you would prefer to live within 15ks of town, then thats a great opinion to have, I share it, and Im lucky enough to actually live it as well. But now I have to commute to Frankston!!!!

The eastern suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney are probably some of the nicest city areas to live in the entire world and they have a price tag to match.

Having an East Melbourne Vs West Melbourne debate is pointless without factoring in the reality of the median budget.

Naturally, we all want the best but we are constrained by what we can afford.

Can't we agree that for some people (esp FHB), the west is a good choice especially when the alternatives are 30-40k north, east or south east.

The inner north is a coveted area of Melbourne now but it was not always so. I am not suggesting that the west will change over night but it's biggest selling point is affordability and closeness to the CBD (where most of the professional jobs are concentrated).

As for capital gain, it depends on your purchase more than the suburb (I read in the SH recently that 1 out of 8 properties are sold at a loss).

To say, that buying in the east will give you more CG than the west is assuming that you made a wise choice and managed your fiances well. You can easily lose money in the east or west if you are foolish.

Hi,
I am from Sydney and looking to buy an investment property in Melbourne. It has huge appeal to me because coming from Sydney, finding an inner Sydney suburb 15kms radious 2 bedroom apartment for less than $400000 is becoming very hard. Melbourne is growing and in a few decades will outgrown Sydney,probably becoming just as expensive or similiar. I have a few suburbs im interested in. Luv to hear ur opinions! I am looking at suburbs around Yarraville, Footscray, etc. I'm also interest in Coburg etc. I know these seem random choices, but it reflects my limited knowledge of Melbourne as I have never even visited the place! Peace out.

What did you decide?

probably outer east for safe bet, current state of affairs with closure of Toyota manufacturing would see a flow on effect of other small car parts supplies. majority of these rely on the holdens, fords and Toyotas which are towards the geelong area.

I personally own in the west and although it has gone up a bit - I still have my reservations.

Re: H-berg West - It will gentrify and generally a good spot...but for now, to live...avoid.
Heidelberg West is probably a bit of a longer term proposition. It is pretty well located and has a lot going for it. I just think it will take time to realise it's potential.

I purchased an investment property in Heidelberg West towards the end of last year. Was a 2 bedroom house on 600m2 close to the Aldi and shops. The area has all the amenities going for it 10km to Melb CBD, Northlaand Shops, LaTrobe Uni, NMIT, Hospitals etc.

HW will gentrify over time. Just look an Heidelberg Heights and the developments and subdivisions going on there. As people can't afford Heidelberg, Ivanhoe they push out to neighbouring suburbs. Yes, HW is full of commission/government housing so just choose wisely. Properties further up north of HW is rougher compared to properties further South towards Bell St. There are some great size blocks to be had for a cheap entry price for potential future subdivision. As land gets more and more scarce in the 10km radius of Melb CBD, just watch the land value grow.

271165_358862197526784_1734509077_n.jpg

377834_359216784157992_1381241670_n.jpg

747_389691501110520_1414118905_n.jpg

I HAVE shopped at Aldi on Bell St in Heidi West several times - my car was still there when I got out, and had no issue with the locals at all :)

The Y-man

Back