Advice on Split System Air Conditioner

Hi All

I have an IP in Gladstone that requires a split system a/c in a west facing bedroom. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reputable contractor in that area?

I was also unsure whether it is better to have the contractor do both the supply & install, or whether it is more economical to purchase a unit somewhere like Harvey Norman and then pay separately to have it installed?

The bedroom is about 15m2 and west facing. The heat in that bedroom has been an issue for all tenants since handover. We have previously tried having the window tinted but it is still a very hot room. Based on other posts I am considering Daikin, Fijitsu, Panasonic and Mitsubishi Electric split systems and it seems like I need about a 2.5kw inverter unit. Any suggestions on good models would be much appreciated.

All other feedback greatly received!

Thanks
Angela :)

What sort of tint have you got.

Tinted film isn't a lot of use in keeping the heat out. Reflective film however works really well.

I always get the same person to provide and install so if there are any problems I only have to go to one person.

Hi All

I have an IP in Gladstone that requires a split system a/c in a west facing bedroom. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reputable contractor in that area?

I was also unsure whether it is better to have the contractor do both the supply & install, or whether it is more economical to purchase a unit somewhere like Harvey Norman and then pay separately to have it installed?

The bedroom is about 15m2 and west facing. The heat in that bedroom has been an issue for all tenants since handover. We have previously tried having the window tinted but it is still a very hot room. Based on other posts I am considering Daikin, Fijitsu, Panasonic and Mitsubishi Electric split systems and it seems like I need about a 2.5kw inverter unit. Any suggestions on good models would be much appreciated.

All other feedback greatly received!

Thanks
Angela :)

Hi Angela, got your PM

Sorry only based in Brisbane, yes you need 2.5 kw size and the brands you mentioned are all are good to excellent systems.
I was going to PM you back but thought I might put this up for all to see as 75% of people don't know about the different license classes out there. The industry is in abit of a mess and untill they bring in a proper national trade license which is being worked on ATM then people should be carefull who they use.

Allow between $1500 and $1900 to get this done depending on the complexity of the install.
If you can find a local contractor with appropriate QBSA license and also a full RAC license from The Australian refrigeration council then that's your best option. Please note that the ARC issue 2 license classes for airconditioning . A restricted split install license only allows the holder to install but no future service including their own stuff ups like gas leaks or warranty repairs can be legally performed by them . Most people like Trade assistants, electricians even handymen if they can get a mate to say they have worked in the industry can do a 3 day course and get this ticket. When a full license holder with a QBSA license did minimum 4 years apprenticeship in the trade and also had to provide work history to get a QBSA contractor license.
A full RAC license holder can do the lot so make sure you ask the contractor what license class they have, you can also do an online search at ARC website.
We come across plenty of stuff ups like this in our travels.
Not all restricted license holders get it wrong, I have 2 electricians who have this class of ticket and do an excellent job for me, but have also been trained along the way. Just a lot out there who bash these in and take off once they got the cash.

If you buy at a retailer make sure the installer they use is Full RAC holder as some shops cheat and use restricted holders to save the $100 odd bucks on install and all's good for the first year or 2 with the unit till either a gas leak occurs (big bucks) or compressor failure (bigger bucks).You have more comeback with the RAC holder as they can repair their own work and not sub it out.

It sounds like you done your homework but get someone booked in now as in another few weeks most reputable installers will be booked to Christmas.

Back