Advice on Where to Buy in the Perth Inner City Area

I am in the same position. Looking to buy a first PPOR (and property for that matter) under 400k. I am looking for a 2bd townhouse and started looking in Mt Lawley which has townhouses for about 430ish, so a little high for me.

I wanted to keep it under 400k to keep the debt manageable and also to get the extra 2k grant.

I've since looked at Maylands and whilst quite different to Mt Lawley (less old heritage houses with nice european cars and soccer mums), it looks quite nice from the outside. I've only really walked around the west side of maylands closer to Beaufort st so unsure of what the river side is like.

Im looking for a place close to the airport (I work FIFO) and somewhere which I can fix up (I did lots of renovations in our family home). Would you go Maylands or Vic Park for capital gains?

edit: I've just looked at Rivervale and that is even cheaper....Any thoughts on that area?

I like the prospects of rivervale, check out "the springs" development that is currently underway. This will lift the area but there needs to be better links to the river across great eastern hwy. Especially since they are now also widening the hwy to the airport (pros and cons for the area I guess).

Like all suburbs there's good and bad bits... I think the south western corner of rivervale is probably the good bit.

Also there's a burswood/belmont area master plan around somewhere which details massive changes for that entire area.

Hi! I looked at quite a few properties before I (FINALLY) settled on what I got (well under 400k). There were a few townhouses from 380-400k at Caledonian Avenue, which is more on the river side of Maylands, as well as around Rupert St (where there are a few mid-sized complexes consisting mostly of townhouses). I skipped them because I had to get something walking distance to the train line specifically, but there were a few nice ones over there that you may want to cast your eye on.

The upside of getting something on the Beaufort street side is easy access to public transport (buses on Beaufort) and a quick whiz into Mount Lawley and all the lifestyle ameneties. But that will probably not be an issue if you have a car.

There was a villa along Railway Parade in a small 12-villa complex, already renovated, 2br, for 399,000 a few weeks ago (which I almost got but didn't because it didn't allow pets), you may want to look at that as well. Railway Parade is kinda busy so I don't know how you would consider that in the greater scheme of things, but it was a nice little place. Oh, and it is on the Mount Lawley side of the border - so a little more shine when you try to sell it off. Sometimes it's all about the suburb. :rolleyes:

Townhouses in Maylands are probably a bit pricier than what you would get elsewhere, though. On the upside, easy access to Tonkin Highway and the airport (for FIFO) and just 10 minutes to the city. I am hoping that due to its location, things can only get better. :D

this recently sold after less than 2 weeks on the market. great location, slightly busy road but not excessively (i live a few doors down), walking distance to maylands train station, 8th ave shops and beaufort st

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-maylands-108513976

Back