Advices are needed on renovating a kitchen

Hi all,

I never renovate a kitchen before therefore i m posting this thread to get your advices on someone who has their kitchen done recently

Things that i need to know !

1) what types of kitchen i can look at if i have a budget of 5k
can i get a timber kitchen with this budget?

2) is it cheaper to go through one tradesman or multiple people (such as electrician, handyman, plumber)

3) what are things i need to be cautious with ?

many thanks

Hi all,

I never renovate a kitchen before therefore i m posting this thread to get your advices on someone who has their kitchen done recently

Things that i need to know !

1) what types of kitchen i can look at if i have a budget of 5k
can i get a timber kitchen with this budget?

2) is it cheaper to go through one tradesman or multiple people (such as electrician, handyman, plumber)

many thanks

Hi Tman

It's doubtful you would get a solid timber kitchen built and installed for this price unless it was very small. Maybe just a timber top or granite top with laminate cupboards could be the go or there are some nice flat packs around as well.

Going through multiple people probably would not save you much as you have to make sure they turn up, let them in or whatever else. If one joiner/builder does it they can tee up tradesmen to suit their schedule.

As with anything do your Due Dil on the builder and get a written quote before starting the job.

Best of luck

We're getting a flatpax kitchen (which has a couple of wood look colours for the doors) for just over $1000 but this would vary dramatically if you picked any upgrades or got a more interesting design than our boring 4m-straight-line kitchen.

Total kitchen price for us will be a lot higher - paint, tiles, floors (subfloors, sheeting AND floor coverings), electrician, plumber, freight, oven and sink. You might need to look at someone to install a flat pack kitchen for you.

Measure up your kitchen and take it to Bunnings and they can do a design service for you and you'll get one starting price to give you an idea.

Also if your existing kitchen is functional but dated, you can paint the cuboard doors, put on modern handles, get a new modern benchtop, sink/taps and oven, paint the walls and do a new splashback and floor coverings for way cheaper.

1) what types of kitchen i can look at if i have a budget of 5k can i get a timber kitchen with this budget?
Timber will cost more than $5K as will timber veneer. Get a flat pack from Bunnings or a cheaper Kitchen Manufacturer to do timber-look laminate - look in the yellowpages. Use stainless steel appliances $2.5K max for cooktop, underbench oven, exhaust fan & dishwasher. Use a colour consultant to match all the colours.

Cheaper to arrange all the trades yourself but get them in the right order.

Too many things to mention. Only pay a small deposit. Don't pay until the work is done by any trade. Get your own tiles etc etc.

If you are like me, and still acquiring handyman skills, limit yourself to the ripping the old kitchen out part. That will save quite a bit.

Back