Advise on Western Sydney

Hi Guys,
I'm looking to buy in the west sydney, considering unit aparment in Parramatta or Auburn.
Understand that parramatta is more happening area than Auburn.
But from my reasearch, the property price in auburn is considerably lower ~100k.

Since Im not very familiar with Auburn, but I heard recently there are a few big businesses going there e.g. Harvey Norman, Costco,etc. Can anyone advise what is the good and bad points about Auburn? if bad, where exactly should I avoid in Auburn?

Cheers.

WHere?

Hiya Lamecrocs

Methinks you are stabbing in the dark......as the previous poster say, perhaps you should get off your Maroubra perch and at least hit the ground...have you actually done that???

Because Epping/Hornsby IS VERY different from Parramatta /Auburn:)

Thanks guys, I've been to Auburn but I haven't been living in the area so any input will be be much appreciated.
In terms of the rail network, I think Parra and Auburn have similar routes.

FYI, I have been living in eastern suburbs since I first arrived in Sydney. I know that I couldn't afford the prices in the east and there is always good and bad points in one area.

So, I'm now in the position to find a new area to settle (with my PPoR) but in the same time, it's to fit into my budget.

Spend a few weekends visiting open homes in both areas. Schedule a break or two through the day to have a coffee or lunch at one at one of the local cafes or plan to have dinner out there. You'll soon see differences between the two places and decide whether either is suitable for you.

Reactions: BV
I'd suggest spending some time in Auburn, especially the shopping centre. It is definately NOT somewhere I'd be comfortable living.

Auburn

HI Lamecrocs

Check out demographics for AUburn and Merrylands carefully; depends also whether you are buying for PPOR or Ip....

I have an IP close to Parramatta (in Greystanes); altho it is very near Merrylands, the demographics is very very different:)

I would live in Greystanes myself but not Auburn or Merrylands...that's my own opinion!

Western Sydney

Hiya

Actualy if your budget is 300K plus ; try Blacktown....lots of potential methinks! Go and have a coffee at Westpoint; you will know what i mean!:p

I would happily live in ppor there; esp south blacktown!

Hiya

Actualy if your budget is 300K plus ; try Blacktown....lots of potential methinks! Go and have a coffee at Westpoint; you will know what i mean!:p

I would happily live in ppor there; esp south blacktown!

Yep! I'd live in Blacktown (I have actually).

HI Lamecrocs

Check out demographics for AUburn and Merrylands carefully; depends also whether you are buying for PPOR or Ip....

I have an IP close to Parramatta (in Greystanes); altho it is very near Merrylands, the demographics is very very different:)

I would live in Greystanes myself but not Auburn or Merrylands...that's my own opinion!

I agree about Merrylands. Drive-by and abduction capital of NSW! :eek:

Looks like a lot of lower priced stock and units around the north side of Auburn at the moment starting at around $260k for a 2 bedder.

Point taken Skater, but looks to be a small number of 2 bedder stock around the hospital and towards Berala that seem to be a similiar price to that in the Northern area, and surrounded by larger PPOR places might be somewhat insulated from the dodgy shopping district in the North.

The demographics around Berala, Regents Park, Sefton etc are a bit better. All extremely multi-cultural. Auburn itself, however, appears to be more of one culture than any other. This may appeal to you, or it may not.

I teach skating at the skating rink in Sefton, my MIL lives in Sefton and I have various relatives living in Berala, Regents Park & LIdcome, so I do have a bit of knowledge of the neighbourhood.

Skater is just trying to scare everyone up so that once she has finished buying up everything ex commission in Tregear, Whalan, Shalvey and Wilmmott, she can buy up everything in merrylands and auburn :)

Skater is just trying to scare everyone up so that once she has finished buying up everything ex commission in Tregear, Whalan, Shalvey and Wilmmott, she can buy up everything in merrylands and auburn :)

Hahaha! Yep, that's me.:D

PS, saw some interesting stuff today out this way.

You could also argue that some streets in the above housing commision suburbs are rougher than those in Auburn, Merrylands, Lakemba etc

You could also argue that some streets in the above housing commision suburbs are rougher than those in Auburn, Merrylands, Lakemba etc

Bogans need houses as much as they need foxtel platinum and a VE clubsport. I have no problems catering to their needs :)

Back