Advise on Western Sydney

Anyway if that makes someone a racist for merely commenting about the way things are, then this country is way too politically correct. I'll leave it there.

Too funny - my old man is Maltese, Mum is 5th gen Aussie. I agree 100% with what you have said. Unfortunately there is a real scum element that is taking over in certain parts of Sydney and the common denominator will have all the bleeding hearts screaming "racist" as soon as you dare say it how it is...

Welcome to life in politically correct Australia. They did the same thing in the UK and France, look how that turned out... ;)

What are peoples thoughts of Guildford? Feels abit like the 'forgotten' suburb? not too far from Parramatta (10 min drive?). Been looking at 2 bedroom units as an IP. Prices seem to range from $250k-$280k with rental around the $290-$330 mark depending on the property...This is for something within 5min-10min walking distance to the train station.

I'd go with something on the western side of the train line over the eastern side of Guildford as the western side is much better. You'll see prices reflect this anyway. Demographic used to be quite similar to Auburn but is changing rapidly these days. The Africans have moved to town now as is reflected by the grocery stores near the station.

As for buying a property 5-10min walk from the station, a lot of people won't walk that far as it's not the best place to be after dark or after 7pm when it's very quiet round the station. Lots of parking close by to the station, but there is a reason for that. (I live 10mins drive from Guildford station now and I tried the commute from there a month or so ago and I didn't feel safe at all, particularly walking back to the car)

Keep an eye out for council approvals for "affordable housing" units not far from the station. I wouldn't be buying too close to them, will overpopulate those streets and likely to cause more problems.

so while I wouldn't bank on city commuters renting out a place 5-10min from the station, the area is likely to be significantly safer than being super close to the station. I have an IP at Guildford West and we've had no issues with tenants or crime.

Back