Advise tenant nicely and firmly of malicious damage

We have a tenant that needed emergency plumbing twice in 4 months. Both times the tenant wanted an emergency plumber ($160 callout, $60 for 15 mns) since toilet or outside pipe was spilling out effleurage.

1st bill was $480 for 1.5hrs for plumber to remove sticks dropped down front sewer inspection lid.

2nd Bill was for sand pushed down rear sewer inspection hole.

Plumber states both cases it seems it intential damage caused by the kids. How can i let the tenant know that i am not paying another cent if this happens again. Tenant is good , pays on time and has been there for 6 years.

Below is my SMS but is there a better way to state we are not paying for this again? I cant threaten the tenant since we have no proof it was the kids and he may be unware it was his kids. Plumber didnt say anything to tenant for the above reasons.

SMS:
Hi X, Can you ensure all sand and other foreign objects are far away from the front and rear pipes at all times. We can only pay for plumbing where the problem is not avoidable.

Hello Mr/Mrs X. Two recent plumbing call outs have been due to foreign objects being put into the sewer pipes. Subsequent callouts for the same style of issues are not covered as repairs under your lease and will be on-charged on top of your rent.

In the interest of avoiding further plumbing issues and financial expenses, please ensure that children do not place foreign objects in sewer or drainage systems.

Regards,
Tano

Hello Mr/Mrs X. Two recent plumbing call outs have been due to foreign objects being put into the sewer pipes. Subsequent callouts for the same style of issues are not covered as repairs under your lease and will be on-charged on top of your rent.

Is this actually defined in a standard lease or is it a bluff?

I would say its not in the lease but it would assume its impiled that if the problem was in the tenants control to prevent or a direct consequence of the tenants and related parties actions then the landlord should not be held responsible.

Terry, I have written an email.

Kids are kids, so a bit of a stretch to describe it as malicious - probably unintentional. Chances are the tenant does not even know it is happening.

I would ask the plumber to put in writing his opinion of the cause of the damage.

A copy of this can then be forwarded to the tenant with a brief note that any future damage of this type will be their responsibility.
Marg

No-one has suggested claiming the cost of the emergency repairs from the tenant? Why not?

If it happened very soon after the start of the tenancy then maybe the tenant might argue that it was 'pre-existing' (as I was stung for a large plumber's bill to extract feminine hygiene pads and a washer from the sewage pipe).

Why should the owner (Tano) be responsible for either charge?

It's a double edged sword. They break something and demand emergency plumbing which is 3x cost. Both cases we can't prove it was the tenant but the letter was sent to advise them we don't pay when they break something.

Same problem in 4 months is irritating.

Whether these clauses are a bluff or not, they seem to work. We had two plumbing bills within a month or two, both times feminine hygiene items caught in tree roots in old clay pipes. We paid up but the second call prompted us to replace the old clay with new plastic.

We explained and wrote into the lease that this downstairs toilet should only be flushed using the full flush and that any further call outs would be paid by the tenants if the cause was hygiene products.

No more callouts...

This situation should be covered by the lease agreement. It is in QLD and all other states would have similar wording.

Any damage or maintenance caused by the tenant will be repaired at the cost of the tenant. This includes malicious, accident, negligence or visitors/children/pets.

Blocked drains are the most common of these types of occurances as you can't 'see' the problem until you get a plumber out there.

I ALWAYS ask for a report on the cause of the problem on the work order. If it is a foregin object, 90% of the time charge the tenant.

TANO - I would seek reimbursement for the plumbing callouts on both occasions (if the tenant has been there more than a few weeks).

Matt

The expenses are usually passed onto the tenant if it was their fault. I was in a similar position once. I paid for the first call out since they were long term tenants. I would make them aware as above and pass on the second bill if it is recent. In my case the tenants often fixed stuff and paid for stuff to upgrade little things so I guess it does depend but gently make them aware there kids could be the cause.

Last edited:
Even though my hubby is a plumber, he either lets me deal with the tenants cr@p or he calls out a plumber in these situations :p:D:)

This situation should be covered by the lease agreement. It is in QLD and all other states would have similar wording.

Any damage or maintenance caused by the tenant will be repaired at the cost of the tenant. This includes malicious, accident, negligence or visitors/children/pets.

Blocked drains are the most common of these types of occurances as you can't 'see' the problem until you get a plumber out there.

I ALWAYS ask for a report on the cause of the problem on the work order. If it is a foregin object, 90% of the time charge the tenant.

TANO - I would seek reimbursement for the plumbing callouts on both occasions (if the tenant has been there more than a few weeks).

Matt

Thank you.

It is good to have a professional approach and opinion.

For those who believe that tenants can always get away with using the toilet as a dump, or other lack of care and 'accidents', it is no more cost for a drainer to provide a written comment on the cause of the blockage on the invoice, and PMs and owners are failing in their own management where they do not make that request of the tradie.

I had a very expensive Sunday maintenance call-out in one house where the tenants threw a house warming after moving in. The sanitary pads and face washer could have been deposited in the toilet by the exiting tenant (extremely unlikely and even the tribunal would be unlikely to accept that one given the record of the previous tenants!) or by someone the PM allowed to inspect (where would the hand towel have come from though?). We were unbelievably lucky the blockage wasn't further under the slab.

Why water and sewage authorities don't publish specific, practical guidelines for the public and for inclusion with lease agreements, god only knows. They are failing in their role. Many people do not know for example, that fats must not be put down sinks, and that anything other than toilet paper will block a sewage pipe. That includes various teeth flossing string and disposable hand, face and baby wipes.

Back