AGA Oven

Hi All

I'm curios to find out if anyone out there has come across these ovens, we are in the market for one and they are extremely expensive. Are There any alternatives?

Ta

It's funny, whenever I read one of my favourite kind of novels, (those big saga types) they always have an AGA in the kitchen. I gather they are state of the Art in ovens sorry, can't help more than that!

AGAs are really old school ovens. Not much help to the OP but my Grandparents in England recently replaced their old coal fired AGA with a new fangled gas one. Wouldn't have a clue how much it cost. Great for cooking toast though :D

Attachments

• uk 257 (Medium).jpg
    uk 257 (Medium).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 68
  • uk 264 (Medium).jpg
    uk 264 (Medium).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 55
aga's are a status symbol amongst the inbred UK chattering class.

one of their primary advantages is they also act as an efficient room heating source.....kitchen and dinings were combined in those days, and the rest of the house was not usually heated apart from fireplaces. I don't know how smart it'd be to have one in anything other than a small house or unit in a cold temperate climate.

they were also designed to stay hot 24/7.....good for big farming families who work in the cold and are always after hot soup or food and a brew.

some cons I can think of:
- bad on low backs and arthritic knees cos you are always bending down. try putting something in and taking out of the oven. people were shorter when they were designed, and women did most of the cooking, so taller women and men are at a disadvantage.
- don't have a gas top afaik, so no good for stir frys....
- non electrics require regular servicing.
- check the energy consumption. they don't throw all that heat off for nothing.

Back