Agent did not do routine inspection now lot of damage. Sue agent??

Hi Cam,

I think the first thing we need to clarify is whether you have landlords insurance? If not, as a PM I have to highly recommend it!

Although I am in VIC some things between states remain the same, such as, if your agent has stated in their authority that they will carry out a certain amount of inspections per year and they haven't done so they have failed in their management and not met their contractual obligations.

I would recommend contacting your PM and requesting a copy of every routine inspection report from the last 2 years. They should have these stored. If they are unable to produce these send an email to the director with a copy of your management authority attached and highlight the area where they stipulate how many inspections will be carried out per year. Request a refund of management fees for the 2 year period as they have not carried out their duties as your agent as agreed to by their agency. You will probably find the director more likely to respond to this than to a law suit!

Meanwhile, get your IP back into a good rentable standard and engage a new PM. I would be very surprised if your current PM tried to charge you anything when leaving them after their error.

Have a new PM find you new tenants and arrange landlords insurance if you don't already have it.

Let us know how this is all progressing, I hope you get a good outcome for a bad situation. :).

Back