Agent wants me to sign a document to 'complete a contract'

Hi all!

I put an offer to purchase a place in Brisbane, and the agent has forwarded me the attached document titled "Details required to complete a contract".

I would rather have my offer accepted before signing.

The agent has advised the following:

I think the best way to do this is to fill out one of these & send it back as soon as possible & see how we go. Someone else has made an offer with one of the other sales people here but as yet they have not taken 'pen to paper'.
Regards

Really unsure what to do here - my intuition says to not sign and wait for the offer to be accepted? It is not like the market in Brissy is going crazy at the moment.

Thanks
Mona

Attachments

• doc03700720130409094405.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
This is the standard way to make an offer in QLD. If you are unsure about the contract get a blank copy - the REAs generally use the standard one and get your solicitor to give it the once over and suggest appropriate additions/deletions. There are blank spaces to add conditions like building and pest, and finance and anything else you want.

Verbal offers have no standing and whilst the vendor might say yes, a signed contract could come in before yours and regardless of what the vendor has said, if they sign that one then you have missed out. I understand it is a little scary - it was for us the first time we purchased.

This would be required just so they can fill your details in on the contract itself. This form isn't part of the contract.

To make sure just write something to this effect on the bottom of it.

The form has no legal basis, it's just you disclosing your offer in writing and allowing everyone clarity. However you are likely to be presented a contract to sign to make your offer to the seller. This is also to protect you and give you the best possible chance to purchase should your offer be acceptable to the seller.

I gave that same information over the phone to a real estate agent yesterday and this afternoon have received a contract to sign to put my offer in writing. The agent basically completed the contract over the phone for me. I will need to write in some amendments to the "conditions" however, I like a finance condition to be pretty specific (ie. subject to finance by x bank or valuation by x valuer etc).

Back