Agents monthly rental statement format

This one is a first for me. As I move around a bit I request all my agents to email me the monthly rental statement .

For years they have sent this as a .PDF file but recently when I changed agents in Queensland they sent it as a .TIFF file.

I requested it as a .PDF but they refused stating that it was law in Queensland that Statements be sent as TIFF files.

Has anyone ever experienced this and has anyone any idea where this legislation, if it exists, can be found?

Thanks
Rob

Well I know that legislation can be very picky but that would be hilarious... I think your agency is having you on big time. Mine (in QLD) sends pdfs no problem.

kaf

Wouldn't have a clue as to your question (mine sends it in the body of the email), but what is the problem with TIFF? It is a pretty standard/common file format. They might be scanning it as tiff, or their exporting program can't handle pdf's or something....

There really isnt a problem with a TIFF file per se. All the others come as .PDF and it makes it easier for me if they are all the same format. I can easily convert them if I want.

Its just the excuse that got me so I thought I would ask around to see if the "legislation" had caught up with anyone else :D

Hi there
have properties in Toowoomba (Copas Newnham agent) and Brisbane - both rental statements come in a pdf format.
Whoever this guy is should be writing fiction - because they are certainly spouting it
thanks

The agent in question here is Remax Noosa. Maybe they just dont know how to create a .PDF as their scanner is set to output .TIFF and this was the best excuse they could come up with.

Ah well, its been good for a laugh :)

Maybe ask them what model scanner they have and send them the instructions on how to change the setting to pdf.:D

Well the plot thickens.

Today they tell me that well...no... there is no legislation that prohibits sending me .PDF files but there is legislation prescribing how the statements are stored on their system according to the PAMD Act. And you guessed it, these must be stored as .TIFF files:rolleyes: Talk about paint yourself into a corner.

When I get a chance and have nothing to do I'll check the act. Whats the betting it doesn't mention a thing.

If they are scanning and destroying the originals (so the scanned is the 'proper' copy), it wouldn't surprise me if pdf's aren't good enough for that purpose.

I get all my statements as a hard copy sent via snail mail.

I preferr it like that because it is easier for me to enter the data into Property Manager Pro software and then file away into my filing cabinet.

Hi there
just out of interest I did have a look at both the Act and regulations to see whether there are any specific requirements - and no .TIFF files weren't mentioned - the only requirement is to have documents that can be audited - and I am sure pdf files would be acceptable because they can't be altered
thanks

I am sure pdf files would be acceptable because they can't be altered
I'll take the challenge.... bet a dollar.... Nothing electronic is secure,
pdfs can be altered, well I can
secured pdfs can be altered after about 3 seconds, the security hash code is stored in the file. the file specification is published
.tif tagged image file format, is a lossless format so that regardless of scaling image detail is preserved and is required by statute for image storage of passport applications, (long story, evil ex-), and possibly other forms where actual signatures are important and need to be reproducible, but still can be edited or altered, and is completely uneccessary for transmitting printouts. which are stored on the drive and offsite storage and etc etc etc.
22850783.jpg
for sure

Last edited:
Hi there
just out of interest I did have a look at both the Act and regulations to see whether there are any specific requirements - and no .TIFF files weren't mentioned - the only requirement is to have documents that can be audited - and I am sure pdf files would be acceptable because they can't be altered
thanks

pdf files can be very easily altered........ though this whole argument/topic is probably a load of nonsense anyway!

Hi there
you learn something every day
Will have to speak to my brother who works for Adobe to get these pdf files sorted
thanks

Hi there
you learn something every day
Will have to speak to my brother who works for Adobe to get these pdf files sorted
thanks
and MicroSoft say IE7 is secure .....
& IE6
& ie5
& ie4
ie3
etc
adobe are not the only, or the most advanced maker of pdf tools, just the biggest.
security was not the issue in the OP, convenience was, sorry for getting off track,
pdf are way more convenient, .csv or other delimited data stream would be better still.
the PMs are swinging a very dodgy line

Back