Agents NEVER take me seriously!

I know how you feel, I feel the exact same way & discriminated against too when the only car park left in the shopping centre is the one with the pram sign painted on it & i have no kids.... :D:D

You can solve that by next time there is a council clean up or check ebay grab a baby / kids car seat and strap it into the middle of your car,

I had a mate do this in his double cab ute he also put a kids on board suction cup sign in his back window. Problemn solved

The first offer I put in is usually original..counters I fax..

When I can make an agent drive peak hour friday night long journey to my house while I sip my wine why would I want to fax?:) or if they were particularly nasty I was going to cancel when I knew they were on the way and reschedule for the following night...but thought that was a little mean and I was getting down to their level...

It doesnt take much to be courteous...especially to a perspective buyer even if they look like a tyre kicker. I was told by one friendly agent that you have to be over 18 to put in an offer...at that time I was 29! 32 now so I must at least look 21?? with three kids in tow..bewdiful darling..

In fact I could write a book titled classic quotes from agents!
"do you all have the same daddy"??? directed to my 5 year old
:mad:

Are you serious, someone actually said this ?

Wa ... All offers in writing

?
Interested in that comment since I have brought a couple places with verbal offers initially until an agreed value was reached.
Then met the agent and put it in writing.

sammmeee, I still remember the attitude I got as a 19yr old looking for my first place. I had agents refuse to even show me places until I involved my mother.

did you stab him?

sometimes people need a good stabbin'. by golly - it's been a while.....

LOL!

I've had the odd RE do the same to me. (Not stab me..)
It IS tempting (not stabbing) to walk away but that wouldn't achieve anything and you might lose out on a good deal. (by not stabbing)

I can't believe some one asked your 5yr old if they had the same daddy!:mad:

Regards JO

This pi$$e$ me off constantly! Arrogant agents that make an assumption based on looking at you! DONT GET ME STARTED.... In our case its not just me that they do this to because Im a female :rolleyes:) They do it to hubby as well. Hubby is a young(ish albeit going grey now) surfie looking, tradie looking, hunk of a man!!! And between the 2 of us they constantly blow us off. Gets up my nose no end but as hubby says its better they underestimte us. You should have seen the last REA face when he dropped a contract to our door after we had had offer and acceptance on the last place.

Hubby and I have had the same assumptions used against us for the last 15 years of our property investing and yes, it gets up my nose but Ive learnt that its much nicer to rub their noses in it by inviting them to our PPOR to drop off keys! I feel like I should have taken photos of the RE agents faces at that point and put them up our wall as prize trophys!!! PRICELESS!!!!

In fact I could write a book titled classic quotes from agents!

Can I give you a quote to add to your book please, Sammmeee?

I was in my late-twenties and, together with my husband, had two investment properties and our PPOR - of which we had just accepted an offer on the latter and were trying to decide whether to buy or build our next PPOR. So we were out inspecting houses for sale and pulled our old car up and approached the front door of a modest 3 bedroom house that was for sale for considerably less than what we had just sold our PPOR for. The REA watched us as we approached (waiting for his prey?). He then exclaimed to us through a big smile, yellow teeth and a fake laugh, 'More dreamers with champagne taste but a beer budget!" I kid you not.

ps. We didn't buy the house.

Why cant you make the offer over the phone?

Look, agents think everyone is a tyre kicker until they get an offer. Nothing matters to them until then. When you make an offer they will listen, they will take you seriously.

Up to then forget it.

Sorta true here.

But, some of the good agents think that they can turn any propsect into a sale. Positive approach and all that.

Our Frangers agent is just that; we have buried the horse, and he is still waving his riding crop.

Most of an agent's life is talking to people on both sides of the transaction, and getting no result. Lots of hot air and no signatures. Lots of sellers wanting the moon, and buyers wanting to pay dirt.

I might say though, that a good salesperson in any field listens to the customer, and tries to find out what THEY want, and deliver it.

In an agent's case (and I was one for a few months :eek:) the customer is the BUYER (not the seller, because the seller can't pay the the agent until the buyer pays).

The agent needs to listen to the buyer to find out what their criteria is, and then find the property that matches this.

In respect to not being taken seriously, all you need to do is go to opens and inspections with YOUR CHEQUE BOOK in your hand, and when you have decided on the price you want to pay, write out a deposit cheque in front of the agent and give it to them.

On top of that; your appearance IS a factor (until they know you), so play the game, dress up a bit at the start and life will get easier.

Should you have to do this? No.

But, that's what the 19 year old guy with the piercings in his nose, ears, mouth, eyebrows and the dreadlocks, in boardies and a flanno thought every time he got knocked back at interviews for the office job.

Is it fair? No, but it's life.

When I can make an agent drive peak hour friday night long journey to my house while I sip my wine why would I want to fax?:)

Um, because it would be the nice thing to do and make everyone's life easier.

I can send faxes with one hand and hold a stubbie with the other; do it all the time.

We know you are only joking, right?

My point is that all this stuff doesnt matter. Who cares if someone lives in a big house, has a trust, wears a suit etc....none of it matters. I cant even see why it matters that the agents takes you seriously. Why does that matter?

What matters is that you make an offer.

You see a house, do your DD, come to some iddea of what to pay and then make an offer. The agent has nothing to do with this.

I could go to an open in my speedos and a batman mask and have a check book in my hand. He could laugh at me and dismiss me, but that will become irrelevant when i write a check.

Or i could go in my Beemer and a Ermenegildo Zegna suit and he'll be impressed. That will become irrelevant when he sees a check from me.

I suppose my whole point here is dont let the other side dictate how you do business. They dont matter. Whether its buying a house, or in business. The mindset is "this is how i do business".

You have an objective, a goal (buy this house) and its up to you to achieve it. Why does the RE agent not taking you seriously alter that? I suppose it only will if you let it.

On top of that; your appearance IS a factor (until they know you), so play the game, dress up a bit at the start and life will get easier.

Should you have to do this? No.

But, that's what the 19 year old guy with the piercings in his nose, ears, mouth, eyebrows and the dreadlocks, in boardies and a flanno thought every time he got knocked back at interviews for the office job.

Is it fair? No, but it's life.

Just need to vent, if you are an agent take note..

Ok I do all the numbers, dd, inspections and negotiating. Hubby signs his name. It works for us like a silent partnership.

So, once again on the hunt in this awesome buyers market in Perth. Sure, enough the agent does not take me seriously. I usually have a couple if not 3 kids with me. All well behaved (bribed with biscuits). My car is an old station wagon. So I guess I dont look like a cashed up investor. BUT for gods sake give me at least some decency!

1. I get ignored
2. Ask if my husband/partner is coming
3. I tell them its for a perspective IP and then they say things like..mmm yes its a bit small for all your kids. WTF didnt I just say it was NOT to live in.
4. I had one agent not give me the last print out brochure but passed it to the couple behind me.
5. Come on...we've bought 2 nearly 3 (yet to settle) in the past 6 months. Its got to the point I have to take Hubby in his business suit after work to get anyone to call me back or send through body corp minutes.

AGENTS wake up.
If the numbers werent so enticing I would love to walk away...
I would advise just reframing the way you view the situation, some excellent advice in this thread how to do that.

If the agent can unlock the property for you to look inside at an agreed time and relay offers to the vendor you are already mostly there for all you need them to do, 98% reliability on that as well!

Can assure you lack of follow up is not who you are, I get it as well, would expect 2 call backs out of 10 inspections on a very good day, and close to 0 to follow up sequentially.. just the way things are. Tip for this, if you don't get info you want, ask again politely and repeat till satisfied.

Evand the issue is to totally do all the research and DD unfortunately some things you need the agent for.

In WA the new reiwa laws state that you can't put in an offer without receiving the body Corp minutes. I have tried going around this by going direct to strata companies but they won't release any info to non owners. Soooo I can only get that info from the agent. I also wouldn't put in an offer without finding out if all owners are financial.

A recent purchase took 4 weeks to get all the relevant info!!
I'm not going for an interview..I'm a customer..and there aren't many of us shopping in Perth. There's no excuses that an agent can give for not being courteous. I am not rude, nasty..I ask lots of questions and if they dont know they say they will get back to me I see no reason why they don't.

Or is the issue they have no accountability. I think owners would be shocked if they knew what went on. In my job I have total accountability and any tiny error could be complained about or my job is on the line..agents well???

What DD do you need an agent for? And why can the agent get the minutes but you cant? Does he have special powers? He is also a non owner.

Forget about the agent. I think you're relying on him too much to do your work.

Being rude is a different issue altogether. You have to learn to not let that
let that get to you if you want the prize. Is your concern that he is rude to you and therefore wont do your DD?

And if they had a competition to who dislikes RE agents the most in Australia, i would be very close to winning it, as regular posters on here know.

Evand the issue is to totally do all the research and DD unfortunately some things you need the agent for.

In WA the new reiwa laws state that you can't put in an offer without receiving the body Corp minutes. I have tried going around this by going direct to strata companies but they won't release any info to non owners. Soooo I can only get that info from the agent. I also wouldn't put in an offer without finding out if all owners are financial.

A recent purchase took 4 weeks to get all the relevant info!!
I'm not going for an interview..I'm a customer..and there aren't many of us shopping in Perth. There's no excuses that an agent can give for not being courteous. I am not rude, nasty..I ask lots of questions and if they dont know they say they will get back to me I see no reason why they don't.

Or is the issue they have no accountability. I think owners would be shocked if they knew what went on. In my job I have total accountability and any tiny error could be complained about or my job is on the line..agents well???

No they don't have special powers BUT they have written permission from the owner to access info from strata company for the purpose of a sale.

How else do I get the strata info?? Seriously it would be a lot easier if I didn't have to rely on an agent.

Back