Air con - little split system

Any suggestions on buying a split system ?

I have 25 sqm downstairs and a little tiny split system (reverse cycle) would do it – I have one upstairs which takes care of that, so it really doesn’t need to heat & cool much

Any suggestions on brands or places to purchase ? I’ve been looking online but am almost thinking I might as well go to the Good Guys/Harvey Norman/Retravision and go through them cause of all the confusion...

I’ve been suggested Fujitsu as an ok one- but that’s the other thing, everyone I speak to contradicts the previous person :S

Hi JC
Bro-in-law installs them for a living and tells me Daikin [sp] is the only way to go! He is only an apprentice though ;).

At that size (2.5-3.5KW), it makes little difference which brand you go for, as long as it is one of the well known brands. They are all very quiet and efficient at that size. Go for an inverter. Kelvinator is a decent performer and good value, with good warranty back up. Daikin/Mitsu etc. are only worth paying more for when you get up into the larger sizes IMHO.
Warranty is almost worthless on the no name cheapo brands.
Also, stay away from cheapo installers.

At that size (2.5-3.5KW), it makes little difference which brand you go for, as long as it is one of the well known brands. They are all very quiet and efficient at that size. Go for an inverter. Kelvinator is a decent performer and good value, with good warranty back up. Daikin/Mitsu etc. are only worth paying more for when you get up into the larger sizes IMHO.
Warranty is almost worthless on the no name cheapo brands.
Also, stay away from cheapo installers.

Thanks evryone,

I've got an electrician mate who will do the install for me which is good.

I wonder if it's worth looking much fiurhter than the big retailers or not.

Have had absolutely terrible luck looking online today

Actually what is an invertor as opposed to an old "reverse cycle" spit system ?

not if you want heating...........this is a cooling only model and in non inverter so slightly more expensive to run.

I would opt for a heat/cool in any make that is an inverter and if this is your prefered make & vendor then here is the same size but with all of the above for $575 and the extra $$$ is well spent.

http://www.eljo.com.au/Kelvinator_KSV26HRB_Airconditioner_p/knr-ksv26hrb.htm

I just got a Mistsubishi Heavy Industries SRK model installed at my mums from a mate in the wholesale trade and these are up there with DAIKIN if you want to go the best but a bit more $$$ required. This ebayer sells them at a good price as the one I got is listed at only $100 more than price paid and I save nearly $300 on rrp.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...880?pt=AU_AirConditioners&hash=item3cab17fd58

Last edited:
Hi all,

This is slightly off topic but I would like to help you all avoid what one of my landlords went through with a Toshiba A/C. As units4me said, guarantees on unknown brands are worthless.

This Toshiba was installed brand new by a qualified tradie and was within the warranty period. Toshiba didn't want a bar of it until we provided proof of purchase. No problem....except that the proof of purchase they wanted was the invoice THEY issued to the reseller, NOT the invoice issued to the landlord by the qualified tradie who purchased and installed it for her. We argued the point, then gave in and called the tradie. He refused to supply it on the grounds that it was archived and getting it would be a hassle - simply refused to get it - insisting that the invoice they issued should be enough. Many phone calls were made back and forth between myself, the landlord, Toshiba and the tradie to no avail. The landlord was told by Consumer Affairs - by all means put in a complaint, but until we get a number of them we won't/can't do anything.

Apparently there are 2 lines of Daikin - the cheaper model made to compete with Fujitsu (& other brands at that level) and the REALLY good ones. The cheaper ones apparently have a warranty similar to the other ones in its field, with the expensive line having the amazing warranty service that everyone is so familiar with when it comes to Daikin.

Cheers,
Jody

not if you want heating...........this is a cooling only model and in non inverter so slightly more expensive to run.

I would opt for a heat/cool in any make that is an inverter and if this is your prefered make & vendor then here is the same size but with all of the above for $575 and the extra $$$ is well spent.

http://www.eljo.com.au/Kelvinator_KSV26HRB_Airconditioner_p/knr-ksv26hrb.htm

I just got a Mistsubishi Heavy Industries SRK model installed at my mums from a mate in the wholesale trade and these are up there with DAIKIN if you want to go the best but a bit more $$$ required. This ebayer sells them at a good price as the one I got is listed at only $100 more than price paid and I save nearly $300 on rrp.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...880?pt=AU_AirConditioners&hash=item3cab17fd58

Geez, is it worth just buying that kelvinator for $575 whch they say retails at $949 ?? !!

they are $699 at bing lee so thats a more realistic RRP so the saving is not that great as you may believe. The killer is the install that can coat between $450 - +$1000 depending on who you know and where you are and that for a simple back-to-back install.

Back to back to install is the cheapest way to go, but please get a proper electrician to do it.

Even better get a cross trained tradie to do it, one that does AC but has a electrical ticket. It will always cost more if you get a AC person that needs to get a electrcian for the circuit or visa versa to do the pipe work etc.

Any suggestions on buying a split system ?

I have 25 sqm downstairs and a little tiny split system (reverse cycle) would do it – I have one upstairs which takes care of that, so it really doesn’t need to heat & cool much

Any suggestions on brands or places to purchase ? I’ve been looking online but am almost thinking I might as well go to the Good Guys/Harvey Norman/Retravision and go through them cause of all the confusion...
The way those companies are set-up with their subbies it is very hard to beat them on total install $$$$,if you the buy the unit yourself then price the cost factor then you may well find it's better-stress free- and the warranty with stand up as the companies people have done the install,with back too backs most heat pumps are charged to go up 25mts and sometimes it's better too have them on the ground ,sometimes back too backs look cheap and can ruin the outlook of the property,imho..

The way those companies are set-up with their subbies it is very hard to beat them on total install $$$$,if you the buy the unit yourself then price the cost factor then you may well find it's better-stress free- and the warranty with stand up as the companies people have done the install,with back too backs most heat pumps are charged to go up 25mts and sometimes it's better too have them on the ground ,sometimes back too backs look cheap and can ruin the outlook of the property,imho..

Yeah I reckon the electrician / aircon guy I know will give me a good job and a fair price, I expect the otyher guys to ***** themselves at the first bit of difficulty and charge 2 arms and 1 1/2 legs more than the original quote, menaing that I dont think they wil lbe cheaper at all.

I dont have much choice where the air con will go, nor the compressor.

So my main focus is on getting a unit for a decent price.

Back