Air Conditioner VS Ceiling Fans

Just about to purchase 2 IP's (Adelaide) and neither have any type of cooling/heating. It's a poorish suburb and people don't expect much. My friends family lives in the area and find that a lot of residents own just these hideously larger portable AC's or otherwise window/through-the-wall AC'S are the normal.

I do want to put something in place though but only want to budget a small amount of around $1k. What I'm trying to figure out is would it be preferred to have 1 AC (either in lounge or dining area) or 4-5 Ceiling fans (one in each room). Quotes I'm getting they will be similarly priced.

Both properties also look quite bland and thinking that the ceiling fans would add an element of style to them (depending on which style I get). Only downside of getting the fans would be there is no heating, but portable heaters are cheap to buy anyway.

imo ceiling fans are a waste of time they really dont cool you down when its hot hot
it gives you the effect of being slightly cooler but when its 40 degrees outside after a few hot days a fan isnt going to do jack *****

Ceiling fans = maintenance free (well almost) vs air conditioner = regular servicing

Who pays for the servicing of the AC, how will you get the tenant to prove that they have serviced the AC? What will you do if they don't?

Sure you only need the AC for a couple of hot days / year (but this is Adelaide and it is a bit warmer for longer), can you justify the cost of installation if it isn't going to give a payback?

Regular servicing? All you have to do with an AC is clean the indoor filter of dust once a year.

Personally fans do jack all. If its hot they can all gather in the room with the AC. Just to be able to cool down the house after a stinking hot day is a huge plus.

Hi Anon, I would really suggest an Air Conditioner. It is too bloody hot in Adelaide not to have an Air Conditioner.

The house at the Vale has a small unit mounted in the wall of the Loungeroom

005-6.jpg

I have had a lot of use out of it over the last week and found it works surprisingly well.

Have seen photos of semi detached homes where they have a split system. The inside unit is fitted in the dining room and the main unit sits on the ground under the kitchen window, but this would probably cost around $1600 - $1800 fitted.
I recently bought a Panasonic Split System for our house at Millicent. The unit cost me $1100. Took it to Millicent and had it installed by a local business there at a cost of $700. Works fantastic. Has heating as well as cooling. Best upgrade to the place yet.

If you want to keep your costs down, just fit a wall mounted unit. Here is a link to Air Conditioner Warehouse at Salisbury with prices of some units -

http://airwaresales.com.au/loc/1/info/2/brand//show/Room Airconditioners (Box type)/products.html

Or Split Systems -

http://airwaresales.com.au/show/Hi-Wall Split Airconditioners /info/13/products.html

Stangman.

I'd go ceiling fans in bedrooms and a RC Air/Con in lounge / living area.

Ceiling fans won't help much on the 40 degree days (that sometimes go on for 1-2 weeks) that Adeliade gets. A/C can also be used to heat in winter.

Stangman, is that the front or back of the house? I would have been worried in this area that if the AC is showing, it could be a target for theft. The way our lounge is positioned, it would need to be showing from the street.

My hole-in-the-wall AC was only $400, and since all it need was a hole in the wall and an existing powerpoint nearby I could install it myself. It was actaully cheaper than ceiling fans and much more effective.

That is the front of the house.

If you look closely at the photo - you can see where the neighbours have their air conditioner mounted in the window frame. Bad idea - that could be stolen quite easily.

If you have a wall unit professionally installed in the front wall, there is not much danger of it being stolen.

Also, make sure that you measure the area where it is to be installed before purchasing the air conditioner. There is not a lot of room between the door and window. Make sure to buy one that will fit in the space and consider that you need about 150mm around the airconditioner for the framework that fits around the unit.

Stangman.

If you look closely at the photo - you can see where the neighbours have their air conditioner mounted in the window frame. Bad idea - that could be stolen quite easily.

Anon, I think what Stangman is suggesting is don't steal the aircon from his property, take the one next door.... it will be easier, and will save stangman from having to claim on insurance....... only joking people! :eek::D

The Y-man

Hehe....... If somebody thumped mine i could get a free upgrade to a Split System.:D

Having lived in the Northern area for over 30 years, we have only had one breakin. Mongrels broke into the garage and took my lawnmower and power tools. Mustang and Statesman were both sitting unlocked in the garage and they left both cars untouched thankfully.

Fitted an Alarm System and 8 CCTV Cameras after that episode. Also had to fight the insurance company for the claim. Finally won that battle, but the wife seized upon opportunity in the meantime and now i have to pay $30 every three weeks to have the lawns mowed. Bugger! Thieving B@stards.

Stangman.

You don't want air-con in every room as that's overcapitalising.

My thinking is Air Con in main living area (a good one) and ceiling fans in each bedroom.

Fans are great in bedrooms. They waft on you as you sleep when you're sweaty and they use FAR less power :D

I'm saving up for a ceiling fan in every bedroom and possibly one in the family room, although more likely to get an aircon in there. Right now we have a hideous enormous portable aircon just on blow mode to blow cool air from the room with an aircon into the family room. Noisy, but works great.

Fans are great in bedrooms. They waft on you as you sleep when you're sweaty and they use FAR less power :D

Agree with the concern about power consumption, but for an IP my concern is the increase in MY rental return, not the running costs (which are the tenant's problem).

put an a/c in the main area and let them buy a portable fan for the bedroom if they wish
as you said its
It's a poorish suburb and people don't expect much

if you put 3k worth of a/c in at 8% interest rate it will cost you 4.62/week that is tax deductible plus depreciation
if you cant get an extra $10 for the a/c your doing something wrong so your actually making more money by putting one in

Back