Alternative cheaper paints

Hi Folks,

Seeking recommendations from die-hard renovators:

I am looking for a paint that is of similar quality to Dulux, but not as expensive as Dulux. I don't want to pay 20% more just because of brand name or snazzy advertising.

Any recommendations ?

Kind regards,
Tracy

I have done a fair bit of painting and use Solver or Dulux. I have used cheaper paints such as British Paints, Wattyl, Spring Design, Accent etc and have never had the walls look as good as the Dulux. I am currently painting a house and I have gone for Dulux Wash and Wear. If you are painting big areas, you can pay less buy buying it in the 10ltr or 15ltr tins.

Solver

I've been told that Solver paints are of similar quality to Dulux, but without the hefty price tag.

Cheers,
Ozi

I personally use the Taubmans range, generally using Dulux tints as their colours just seem a bit richer. Have you tried taubmans trade range 10L works out much much cheaper? I am sure Dulux probably has a similar range. Same paint but just doesn't have the snazzy label!

Regards
Alanna

Porters for special surfaces or looks.

But generally, I choose from Dulux colour range and apply them in the cheaper white Solver base.

I buy my paint in 20lt tins.

I paint all of my rental properties in the same colour. I even paint the ceiling and walls the same colour because the same colour looks differnet in differnet light.

Maybe another way could be to buy from a store like Big W or Kmart when they have a store wide 20% off sale.

Try Nutech Paint. I've just told them Dulux colour name and they've delivered it the next day ($20 delivery fee). It's best to ring for a quote as their web page is more about exterior paint. I'm happy with the quality.

http://www.nutech.com.au/

Brat

I just wouldn't use anything other than Dulux...you get what you pay for...tis not simply a snazzy name brand...tis the quality that counts for me. Pay peanuts... get monkeys! Having said that...I'm just waiting for GeoffW to say something about monkeys climbing the walls.:D

Whenever I have used Dulux, I've found it so much easier to use too (spreads better, goes on smoother, doesn't splatter as much), but then if we have to do heaps, I can't bring myself to pay the huge price tag, so I look for the trade paint.

I remember once paying a lot for a paint for my youngest childs nursery, it was dulux, duck egg blue and smelled like baby powder :)

Hi Tracy,

I have recently been using the Taubmans Easy Coat range for walls and find it to be a good quality at a reasonable price although not quite the quality of Dulux. It has a microban product in it that protects the walls from mould, so good in kitchens and bathrooms and is very low in odour.
I do not find most of the trade brands to be as good, though they are cheaper. The only trade brand I use is Taubmans Tradex White Ceiling Paint which is excellent.

Regards, Bronwyn

Back