Alternative to Stone Bench Tops

Two problems I'd see:
1. Only the front edge is molded. There'd be side edges (possibly) and joins.
2. Laminex can get scratches and burn marks. You wouldn't want a tenant to treat a laminex product like stone.

I like Laminex.

Used it for my kitchen bench - the lime green one that people said unkind things about.

I like Laminex except when people go for the finishes that look like stone. That's when I reckon it looks a bit naff.

Two problems I'd see:
1. Only the front edge is molded. There'd be side edges (possibly) and joins.
2. Laminex can get scratches and burn marks. You wouldn't want a tenant to treat a laminex product like stone.

Good point.
But if selling this may be a good way to get more bang out of your money.

Thanks
MTR

If you want wow factor but stone top blows the budget, try looking at acrylic benchtops.

Add an undermount sink and they look terrific.

Not cheap, but much cheaper than stone and no joints evident. Can get in range of colours with various flecks.

Recently had one fitted in a laundry and happy with result.

IKEA have samples on display.

How does acrylic hold up to heat? My laminex bench is covered in scorch marks from hot pans

We have Corian at home and whilst you aren't supposed to put hot pans on it we have accidentally on occasion. The upside is you can get a scourer and give it a bit of a buff and marks come off. I love that there are no joins and it doesn't stain - no more turmeric disasters!!

For the Gwelup villas they have Q stone which is a resin/stone engineered product - I have it in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundries.

http://www.qstone.com.au

My builder, Inspired, are now using it as standard in all their builds.

I too really like this but if it is similar price to stone then I am back to square 1, I need an alternative to stone that still gives the wow factor.

MTR the way we reduce the cost of stone is to just use 20mm edge. None of the 40,60 or100mm. This reduces the cost by about 50%.

It then makes stone a viable option.

MTR the way we reduce the cost of stone is to just use 20mm edge. None of the 40,60 or100mm. This reduces the cost by about 50%.

It then makes stone a viable option.

That's a great help, these are the tips I am after that the builders are not sharing, I assume it looks just as good, 50% cost reduction and still get the wow factor I'm in.:)

Thanks

MTR you can create a shadow line. It means there is a dark strip right underneath the stone - hence the shadow line. It makes the bench look as though it's floating. Very nice.

Also you can, if the design allows avoid the stone going to the ground - waterfall - it consumes a lot of stone, creates more waste and adds cost.

For an island bench 20mm stone with a shadow line looks very smart.

Good bang for your buck.

I have used Corian for over 20 years (Mc Donalds fitouts etc), it takes a pounding, always looks good, easily maintained. Our kitchen benchtops look as good as the day they went in 14 years ago (benchtops cost more than the joinery).

Prob wont help you for this specific instance but if you were doing a reno or organising finishing trades you can save a heap by calling stonemasons and asking what leftover stone they have.

i did that last year and got pretty good sized L shaped benchtops, just over 4m long in total installed for $1500 incl GST for caesarstone tops

Prob wont help you for this specific instance but if you were doing a reno or organising finishing trades you can save a heap by calling stonemasons and asking what leftover stone they have.

i did that last year and got pretty good sized L shaped benchtops, just over 4m long in total installed for $1500 incl GST for caesarstone tops

Ooooh....sorry to high jack Marisa...but Sanj, are you happy to share who it was you got that through? I am doing a home reno and about to virgin voyage on a similar project to MTR.

Big cheers

Back