Alternative to Stone Bench Tops

That's a great help, these are the tips I am after that the builders are not sharing, I assume it looks just as good, 50% cost reduction and still get the wow factor I'm in.:)

Thanks

I use 20mm caesarstone in my developments. There isn't a massive cost differential and it is one thing that definitely lifts the perception of being a quality development.

Im with matt here. Ultimately you may find 1k or so difference between laminate and a cheap stone top, I would go the 20mm stone top

Yes, sounds good, I think stone bench top gives an overall upmarket look, that one is sorted now:).

thanks
MTR

Ooooh....sorry to high jack Marisa...but Sanj, are you happy to share who it was you got that through? I am doing a home reno and about to virgin voyage on a similar project to MTR.

Big cheers

Congratulations, was that the property on the same street as my recent purchase;)

MTR another thing to ensure you save money is to avoid 'undermount sinks'. These are sinks that sit under the stone rather than on top. They look great, but the sinks costs more and the stonemason charges about $300 more to make a smooth cut and polish the edge. Overall about $500 savings per kitchen.

Of course if the locations requires it, you'll need to spend that. I found that, unless your in the high end, it won't make any difference.

Huss.

MTR another thing to ensure you save money is to avoid 'undermount sinks'. These are sinks that sit under the stone rather than on top. They look great, but the sinks costs more and the stonemason charges about $300 more to make a smooth cut and polish the edge. Overall about $500 savings per kitchen.

Of course if the locations requires it, you'll need to spend that. I found that, unless your in the high end, it won't make any difference.

Huss.

I think I can definately get away with this for the area/suburb.

It seems if you are looking at stuff outside the square to save money the spec builders seem to make it hard they want you to stick to their stock standard stuff, perhaps they make more money

Builders are like everybody else, they like to keep things simple. Any variance creates issues and so they want to charge for it.

We are human after all, even if just

MTR is this for a build and hold development? I am planning someting similar on a rear block build on a property I own, the drafty suggested to go with cheaper finishes for when its a rental and then if you sell after 10 years or whatever, renovate to a higher standard and what is in demand at that point

I think I can definately get away with this for the area/suburb.

It seems if you are looking at stuff outside the square to save money the spec builders seem to make it hard they want you to stick to their stock standard stuff, perhaps they make more money

Correct!
Especially if you want to source something yourself - the credit they will give you back from the package is laughable so you might as well go with their stock standard in many cases.
Their markup is about 30% on most things which you desire.
This is why I don't use big builders. I built our PPOR with Deceptions and they have their formula for their stuff and don't like going outside it and ping you for it.

MTR is this for a build and hold development? I am planning someting similar on a rear block build on a property I own, the drafty suggested to go with cheaper finishes for when its a rental and then if you sell after 10 years or whatever, renovate to a higher standard and what is in demand at that point

I don't agree with the drafty I would always have reasonable specs and need to consider the area and what developers are building, standard of specs etc. Also you may still need the property/properties to be bank valued if you plan to access equity, higher specs will probably achieve a better outcome. You just never know when or if you may sell down the track, cheap and tacky is not good.

When I was building land and house packages the specs were a good standard and I found it easy to sell.

Am building 3 units/villas, I am not sure if I am selling or holding, however on completion they will be cashflow positive, if the end value is substantially higher I may offload 1 or 2 not sure. Markets can turn very quickly if I have an opportunity to bring some money back to the table I will.:)

Correct!
Especially if you want to source something yourself - the credit they will give you back from the package is laughable so you might as well go with their stock standard in many cases.
Their markup is about 30% on most things which you desire.
This is why I don't use big builders. I built our PPOR with Deceptions and they have their formula for their stuff and don't like going outside it and ping you for it.

I get my drawings this week and will be shopping it as I really don't want to deal with this.

MTR the way we reduce the cost of stone is to just use 20mm edge. None of the 40,60 or100mm. This reduces the cost by about 50%.

It then makes stone a viable option.

This will make you laugh, spoke to a larger builder in Perth mentioned this as a cost saving exercise and a certain builder doing this in Melbourne. He spent 30 minutes explaining how building structure in Melb is so different to Perth and there is no way we can do this in Perth.
WTF.... Nothing whatsoever to do with the structure.

Last edited:
Back