Altona, Vic

The Federal Police Car and the Campervan are gone. Maybe, she has decided to move to the Lodge. Don't know whether this will be reported in the news?

Altona Blog Interactive Map !!!

Julia Gillard has put Altona on the Map so have I :D

I had included in the Altona Blog, an interactive, clickable map which plots the locations of the various attractions in Altona, matching photos with their exact shooting locations and allowing you to scroll the map, zoom in, zoom out and enter any marked attraction.

Check this out at: http://altonabeauty.blogspot.com/

This interactive map has driving directions functionality.

For example, click on Pier Street Murals (it's a little below the Altona Train Station icon, look for the railway line), this will bring up a small window. Click on the link "Directions" at the bottom of this window. This will go to a larger map for you to type in your starting address.

On the larger map, if you click "More" option in the "Pier Street Murals" window that is brought up and choose "Street View", you will be able to see the Murals !!!! I don't know about you but I find this amazing.

Feedback, comments, suggestions welcomed! :)

I have drastically updated the Altona Blog, including embedding navigable satellite maps & streetviews of the various attractions, weather forecast, link to a Facebook Page and new content.

You are invited to visit:
http://altonabeauty.blogspot.com/

I'm thinking of writing a section on Real Estate. Any recommendation on how I should proceed and what to include?

Thanks.

Hows people's health in Altona these days?

I do realise theres chemical factories to the north and its dependant on where the wind blows this mainly affects the north area..

I found this very old article on google about cancer concerns in the area http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/671 from old cases of harmful emissions..

Would like to hear other peoples take on this issue for this area.

The southern part of Altona North is extremely close to the Mobil Refinery. I will not recommend anybody purchasing house there. The northern boundary of Seaholme is the next closer while the western boundary of North Williamstown and Newport are further away.

The residential areas in Altona are far removed from the Refinery. We don't get to smell anything from the Refinery in residential Altona.

I moved to Altona in 2007. I had asked neighbours around about any concern about environmental pollution. One guy told me there used to be many factories along Kororoit Creek Road but many of them have closed down. He has been staying in Altona since its beginning. He is now 80 and still very healthy. He does not believe there should be concerns about environmental pollution and harm to health.

That article that you quoted is in 1991 - 20 years ago. Things would have improved greatly during that time span. I bet there aren't any mult-million dollars beachfront bungalows along the Esplanade in Altona at that time. Pier Street in those day will also be unrecognizable from the current bustling and thriving centre.

lived and worked in the area before moved to Canada
the 'Disaster Plan' for any leaks does not bother with Williamstown Altona Laverton Seaholme at all
those areas are a write off
those ball storages, it would be equivalent to a small nuclear blast, without the lingering radiation
they dont even begin to worry about anyone inside the 20km circle centred on Millers road and Kororoit Ck Rd corner

First Sunday of every month always sucked
Every alarm system was tested, loud as ____, at 7am

remember Coode Island? as far as Croydon and Geelong the pall spread. Coode Island is 1% the size of the petrochemical complex.
Williamstown would be just as flattened or poisoned as anywhere else
Hasnt happened in 100 years, dont worry be happy
McMansions in the Rifle Range, 90 years hundreds thousands of lead bullets punched 8feet into the soil, six inches of soil spread on top, that'll fix it
McMansions in the Salt Works, 70 years of salt mining, pumps to keep it unflooded, six inches of soil spread on top, that'll fix it
these are nice areas,

there is no place thats nice

Heard some people talking on the weekend that a 5 story 95 unit development had been approved on the old Mitre 10 site in pier street next to the recently finished complex with 50 odd appartments. Across the road three more developments are sign posted with about another 50 units. Each of these developments has shops at street level.

Not a bad place to live really walking distance to a train station that is only 20 minutes trip to flinders street, walk another 200 meters and you are at the pier and a 3klm long beach which has just had a major upgrade with lots of sand added.

Heard some people talking on the weekend that a 5 story 95 unit development had been approved on the old Mitre 10 site in pier street next to the recently finished complex with 50 odd appartments. Across the road three more developments are sign posted with about another 50 units. Each of these developments has shops at street level.

Not a bad place to live really walking distance to a train station that is only 20 minutes trip to flinders street, walk another 200 meters and you are at the pier and a 3klm long beach which has just had a major upgrade with lots of sand added.

That's very, very good news.

Two newspapers articles:
http://hobsons-bay-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/hobsons-bays-blog-war/

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star/williamstown-altona-laverton/256/story/92579.html

I will be receiving a radio interview from 774 ABC Melbourne - Breakfast with Red Symons tomorrow morning. This will be broadcasted at around 7.20 am or 7.25 am.

Heard some people talking on the weekend that a 5 story 95 unit development had been approved on the old Mitre 10 site in pier street next to the recently finished complex with 50 odd appartments.

My friend is living in 115-117 Pier Street, Altona, the new residential-retail complex in Pier Street North:

20100511134205.jpg

She visited us today and told us she had received a letter in her letter box, informing the residents of the next-door development (to start by end of the year) on the former Mitre-10 site. Her apartment has a very good view of the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre.

I asked her about the Gym below her apartment. She said it's always very crowded. The next-door hairdresser told her she's getting all the customers from this apartment block and she needs to employ another helper as she cannot cope with the business. A Thai restaurant will be opening soon.

Across the road three more developments are sign posted with about another 50 units. Each of these developments has shops at street level.
These are actually already on sale:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-altona-106892993

I can see that Altona is slowly but steadily changing. There is scope for a great deal of developments in Pier Street North - the petrol station, light industries and lower density houses/blocks will eventually make way for developments as this is prime land. There are also plenty of weatherboard and old houses on large blocks in other parts of Altona available for redevelopment.

forumite

I live in Altona on the south side near the beach and Pier St.

For other Altona residents, you may be aware we're all getting shafted in the new timetables starting in May for the train services! They are cutting so many services from Altona residents! We all need to fight this!

On another note do you all think there will be a housing price crash? If so, how will Altona be affected? My parents own a large property around the corner from the beach in a street off both Blyth and Queen St. They also own an investment property in the same location.

I read that some people are selling up. There was one guy that bought a property in West Melbourne in the early 200s for something like 300k and has sold it recently for 1.2 million. Do you think that's a wise decision? Aren't overall trends of home values always going to improve even if there is a crash in the meantime?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Altona on the south side near the beach and Pier St.

For other Altona residents, you may be aware we're all getting shafted in the new timetables starting in May for the train services! They are cutting so many services from Altona residents! We all need to fight this!

This is a beat-up and there will be zero effect on property prices in Altona.

What is happening is that more trains are starting at Laverton instead of Werribee. At the moment Altona people can't always get a seat, and sometimes are left behind on the platform. Late Werribee trains are often changed to skip Altona to make up lost time. This seperation of Altona and Werribee trains should reduce this.

The new timetable will siphon Werribee/Hoppers Crossing passengers onto their own services, running every 11 min (instead of up to 20 minutes as now). A trade-off is that for this to work Altona and Williamstown trains will be running every 22 min instead of every 20 min during the peak period. But there will be a lot more room for Altona residents to get on the train so crowding will be less.

Altona is also likely to get a large increase in evening service - if what was done for Frankston is any guide, weeknight trains will be every 20 min instead of the current every 30 min.

This is a beat-up and there will be zero effect on property prices in Altona.

What is happening is that more trains are starting at Laverton instead of Werribee. At the moment Altona people can't always get a seat, and sometimes are left behind on the platform. Late Werribee trains are often changed to skip Altona to make up lost time. This seperation of Altona and Werribee trains should reduce this.

The new timetable will siphon Werribee/Hoppers Crossing passengers onto their own services, running every 11 min (instead of up to 20 minutes as now). A trade-off is that for this to work Altona and Williamstown trains will be running every 22 min instead of every 20 min during the peak period. But there will be a lot more room for Altona residents to get on the train so crowding will be less.

Altona is also likely to get a large increase in evening service - if what was done for Frankston is any guide, weeknight trains will be every 20 min instead of the current every 30 min.

Considering I go to Swinburne University in Hawthorn and live in Altona around the corner from the beach right near the station, tell me how I will have improved services when travelling to uni?

Right now I can get a train every 20 minutes. It will soon be every 22 minutes.

Right now I can catch a train from my station direct to the city. In May I will be forced to change trains at Newport to get to the city as the trains that run in the Altona loop will simply be a shuttle in off-peak times (and I frequently catch the train in off-peak times as a student). This will also apply for when I'm coming home.

So instead of catching 2 trains a day I will be catching 3 and my trip will take longer than what it is currently.

So while we are getting more trains the Altona loop passengers are getting shafted.

Explain to me how I'm going to get improved services again? I may as well just drive to uni every day. The people of Altona are protesting this for good reason. It's not good for residents, traders and potential residents.

Back