Am I being fair or room for improvement?

Up until now I've had happy tenants and done my best to keep it that way.

POSITIVES:

- Left a Welcome present/card and Xmas gift.
- Reimbursed cost of initial phone connection (no obligation to).
- Allowed and provided picture hooks for walls.
- Installed security screen on front door at tenant’s request.
- Installed lockable latches on other sliding screen doors at tenant’s request.
- Approved installation of pay TV and extension of phone-line (tenant offered to pay for this).
- Sprayed for spiders and ants at tenants request (no obligation to).
- Tenant requested air con and enquired about the increased rent for this. Quotes proved fairly expensive to install so said I could do it for $15 p/w HOWEVER to compensate offered long term lease (which they wanted) and no further rental increases for 2 years. Alternatively, I offered to install good quality remote control ceiling fans in every room at no extra cost to the tenant. (Air con difficult to fund at the moment with poor cash flow and wife no longer working with baby).

NEGATIVES:

- House needed some minor non-urgent repairs after defect period which have been gradually completed over 5 months. Slow progress due to availability of builder and suppliers/trades and problems accessing the premises. Mostly out of my control.

Here are some extracts from a letter I received this week from the tenants:

“The lack of motivation from the builder with repairs is a little disappointing to be honest.

In all honesty, paying what we pay without Air-conditioning (no offence intended, but the deal would have robbed the tenancy blind) - WITH a dark coloured roof (there is no way we CAN survive another summer in that house) and repairs almost taking the entire period of the lease to even have a motivated look by the builder…it's just drama that we don't need to be honest. All of which contributes towards our decision whether to stay on or not when the lease is up. Like I said, it’s no offence to you, you have generally been pretty good. But as tenants, you are still a "Paying customer" and need to get your money's worth. If you aren't getting satisfaction somewhere, you find somewhere that gives it. ESPECIALLY when it comes to where you live.”

I found it hard to not take offensive at this because I honestly believe I have been very reasonable throughout the tenancy and gone out of my way to accommodate requests and keep the tenant happy. The comment about getting your money’s worth, well they are paying fair market rent which was confirmed with two separate rental appraisals. The house has loads of extras the only thing absent is air-con but it was never an inclusion. Surprisingly there was absolutely no response to my offer for ceiling fans. As for the roof well it’s always been that colour!

My reply to them was fairly pleasant and I plan to go ahead with the installation of ceiling fans anyway. I’d appreciate some thoughts on what other forumites would do in my situation to smooth things over. The tenants have been good with rent paid on time and the house well looked after.

Ebbie,
you have done all you can do, take heart in the fact that there is no pleasing some people no matter what you do. My last job of 18 years delt with the public and I can tell you there are some people out there that no matter what you do you will never appease them no matter what.

But by the sound of your post, you manage your own IP's, each to their own but I would rather pay a property manager to handle all that stuff so I have no contacts with tenants, not that I don't want to, "it's that I could be a soft touch". I am a softy under my hard exterior!!!!

Many Kind Regards
John :)

Unlike BB I would think that self-managing a new home is quite reasonable. I chose this route and, while admittedly a little lucky with tenants, it has proven OK.

Your problem is that you built a home with a dark roof and no ceiling fans. I'm sure that in retrospect you would not do so again.

There is no indication of which part of NSW you built in but I would install fans throughout (do they need to be remote controlled?) and find a new tenant if necessary. In the tropics BOTH fans and aircon are standard. edit: I also installed a light coloured roof..... T

Thommo

Ebbie,

It's not personal. If they leave you'll be able to get that builder in to finish the job then get a new tenant at a better rate. If they stay you have a good long-term relationship going.

Asides from Fans, try installing some whirlybirds on the roof. They get heat out of the roof cavity & can make an enormous difference to the heat level in a house.

You could also have someone paint the roof, but this doesn't last that long & can look bad when it starts coming off.

Thommo, fans are nowhere near as necessary outside the tropics. In fact in certain parts of the world outside the tropics water is SOLID when it hits the ground! - hard to believe way up north where there is no whatever it is isn't it :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey, are you seriously suggesting it doesn't get hot in Canberra?

Recently, I recall, it spontaneously ignited. :D

While I know they're not cheap there are now some amazing roof paints available which reduce inside temperatures considerably. A painter mate of mine says he can walk on an iron roof painted with this stuff in bare feet. Sorry, but I can't quote a product.

T

Brizzy Boy: If my efforts are wasted trying to please an ungrateful tenant then I'll be thinking twice before paying out any more money on requests if I'm going to lose an unsatisfied tenant anyway. They're living much better than we are and if I dared ask my own landlord/s for half as much I know they'd tell me where to go!

I started off using a Property Manager but I would have been better off throwing my money down the drain (PM wasn't doing their job).

Thommo: You are right I was unaware the dark roof would be a problem when I was selecting the colour scheme; something to keep in mind for next time. My decision to use remote control fans was easier/cheaper installation as discussed here: Ceiling Fans.

Aceyducey: Great suggestion about the whirlybirds on the roof and something I hadn't considered. I'll be asking my builder about that straight away. Would it have the opposite effect in winter and make the house too cold? What could I expect to pay? I wouldn't go to the lengths of painting the new colourbond roof. In my view that's not an option but something I'd consider on an older home.

Does anyone know what the portable air-con units are like that I've seen in places like BIGW for $100 to $200? If they are any good I'll look at installing whirlybirds and/or ceiling fans first and perhaps drop some brochures off for the tenants to consider buying a portable unit for themselves.

Last edited:
Hey Thommo,
your right there is a product out now that painted onto a roof no matter what type, tile, tin etc but will reduce heat inside the house conciderably.
My mate just had a quote done and it was not cheap, I will try to get the name and come back to you all.

Regards
John

PS:
love the spontaneously ignited return!!!
For all those in Canberra our thoughts were with you during your trying time

Many Kind Regards
John

Hi Ebbie,
I know where you are comming from, whilst I was renting I never ever asked anything of the landlord/s, guess the perfect tenant!!!.
As I said I have never ever spoken to my tenants, always deal through PM, no that I do not care!!!! I have asked to ask a long term tenant through the PM, what they would like an airconditioner installed or the place repainted, plus I have not increased the rent for the next year as a thankyou for their long tenancy and care of my bricks and mortar.

But there are people out there that regardless of what or how much you do they will never be satisfied, and as I had mentioned in my last post. The last job that I had for 18 years, I had come across many, many people like this!!!!

Sincerely hope all works out
Kind regards
John

G'day Ebbie

Had a similar complaint from one of my tenants. 5 year old house and it was stinking hot in summer, eventually they had a look in the roof space and noticed NO INSULATION. Anyway we forked out the $900 and that made a huge difference.

I reckon it was about 18 months later we found a 2.5hp air con (split system) at a garage sale for $200 cost $580 to install it, bit of a gamble as to whether it would work. Luckily it did. Cools the house down very well.

Still got the same tenants in the place.:)

Cheers
quoll

Back