am i littering?

It's hard for little kids. I reckon the education on recycling has to start at home, Marg.

I actually work in a high school (sorry, should have said). Minimum age 12 years, occasionally a fast-tracked 11 year old attends.
Marg

Save the environment and all that... but put your perfectly good compost in the bin? Right....?

If you grew up in the city it's littering. If you grew up in the country it's composting.

my 2 cents.

It is actually littering - you can be fined for that.

Whilst the guys behaviour was unreasonable and uncalled for (he should have just picked it up if he felt that passionately about it) he was actually right. If everyone just left their 'compostable' waste behind then our parks would be very dirty and smelly places.

True, agree 100%.

Yeah, it's littering. I didn't think so, even a friend used to say 'don't panic, it's organic!'

The problem is the local wildlife eat it and it's not a natural part of their diet. It's a big problem in wildlife sanctuaries where the numbats and other native animals won't eat the food prepared for them as they have sugar cravings for the sweet left over fruit scraps.

It can also attract mice, rats and pigeons.

This is also true.

It wasn't your garden where you can decide what you want to compost, it's a public park. The law considers it littering, because we need that regulation to prevent everyone doing it.

It was also very cowardly of that guy to become abusive infront of your children. The sort of person that picks fights with people when they are vulnerable, is an insecure person that is unhappy with their own life, and they like to feel good by trying to put others down whenever they can.

I probably would have also backed down in your situation, because the last thing i'd want to do is get into a fight and risk my children getting hurt. I'm also not sure that i'd be setting a very good example either.

Yeah I'd say he was innappropriate making such a song and dance about it esp in front of your children.

He could have just as easily and calmy explained that it's littering for the reasons you obviously didn't know about. He would have created the change he was after much more effectively.

I wouldn't have done it unless it was a very remote area. Problem would be is if there are 100 people there a day, doing the same thing, it's gonna be a mess.

If you get 2 people a week I can't see it being an issue.

Incidently, when I was at uni, a lecturer told us of a mate of his who lived in inner city Sydney, didn't own a car and walked to work. This man worked out that by just not using a car every day, even if he never recycled, had solar hot water, grew his own veggies etc etc, that he was miles ahead of any one living out of town, living sustainably but driving even a small car to work everyday.

Funnily enough I had just read something which counters this popular notion!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article2195538.ece

“Driving a typical UK car for 3 miles [4.8km] adds about 0.9 kg [2lb] of CO2 to the atmosphere,” he said, a calculation based on the Government’s official fuel emission figures. “If you walked instead, it would use about 180 calories. You’d need about 100g of beef to replace those calories, resulting in 3.6kg of emissions, or four times as much as driving.

“The troubling fact is that taking a lot of exercise and then eating a bit more food is not good for the global atmosphere. Eating less and driving to save energy would be better.”

I don't necessarily agree with it, I walk everywhere and rarely use the car, but it was certainly food for thought!

Back