An upcoming granny flat build thread

Wow already got most of the foundation done! that's quick.

900x900 is quite small...it would be very uncomfortable.

My neighbour has started complaining.

Today digging was done to excavate for the plumbing and gas line. The bobcat damaged a bit of the neighbors fence and it has slightly broken. Who's fault is this ?

They also said that some dirt went over to their land and hence I need to put in a retaining wall. Must I do this seeing as I am not concreting the area? It is just grass. I have not touched the grass area . It is the same as before the house was built.

They also have about 7 people staying in their illegally constructed Granny flat

Finally, they want a new fence. Currently the old paling fence is very slanted, but it can be repaired. Should I repair it or replace the fence ( split cost )

Would you just install a wooden paling fence between the house and gf or a colorbond fence ?

Also we are extending the bathroom size and hence will have to put the vanity under the window. Does anyone know where I can get a hinged mirror to hang off the right wall?

Last edited:
Btw, is it granny flats australia (Cid) building your granny flat?

My neighbour has started complaining.

Today digging was done to excavate for the plumbing and gas line. The bobcat damaged a bit of the neighbors fence and it has slightly broken. Who's fault is this ?
You - You broke it, you fix it. However if they neighbour wants it replaced, then I would say half. If they want to be a pain and insist you pay for the whole fence, then I would replace the slightly broken pailing and restore it to the slanted position it once was :)

They also said that some dirt went over to their land and hence I need to put in a retaining wall. Must I do this seeing as I am not concreting the area? It is just grass. I have not touched the grass area . It is the same as before the house was built.
If the levels havent changed then why do you need a retaining wall? If their ground was lower, then THEY need the retaining wall.

They also have about 7 people staying in their illegally constructed Granny flat

Be careful what you start. Harmony is always nice, but i'd keep that comment in your back pocket for now. Use it when you REALLY need to use it.

Finally, they want a new fence. Currently the old paling fence is very slanted, but it can be repaired. Should I repair it or replace the fence ( split cost )
Personal preference is replace... its nice to have everything new.

Would you just install a wooden paling fence between the house and gf or a colorbond fence ?
I prefer colourbond when its between neighbours. But i think they are the same price. Colourbond is not good for corner blocks because its easier to graffiti.

Also we are extending the bathroom size and hence will have to put the vanity under the window. Does anyone know where I can get a hinged mirror to hang off the right wall?
Fantastic furniture, freedom, etc.
http://www.atoptide.com.au/index.php/mirrors.html
Saw this place advertised in the local paper, they are located at Bankstown.

Decision time again.

4x3m rear concrete slab as a patio area, or just have a 1x4m walkway to the rear sliding door around to the front of the house?

Wouldnt you have all this planned out before you started the build? :)

Not sure how patios add to the sqm allowance.. but a good size paved patio is always a good thing.

First time , sort of winging it.
Patio doesn't count towards allowance, but I'm thinking concrete slab would look ugly anyway

Old bathroom wall
img2232ka.jpg

New bathroom wall
img2264g.jpg

Windows are in
img2268dv.jpg

img2265n.jpg

Tiles for the floor and bathroom have been chosen. Paid a bit extra for some very nice porcelain tiles. Gloss white.

Gyprock went in today.
img2330g.jpg

img2331o.jpg

img2333l.jpg

img2335gn.jpg

I am currently looking at blind options
These bamboo blinds seem cheap! http://www.cheapa-blinds.com.au/Bamboo-Blinds-Ready-Made-Golden-P165.aspx

I only need a few blinds. 1 for each of the bedrooms, and maybe the sliding door at the back if I feel generous (otherwise it gets a cheap lincraft curtain). The kitchen window and side window get no blinds

My concrete guy cant get in till another 3 weeks. I was really hoping he could do it next week.

Also: patio or no patio? If I do a patio itll be 2.5x4m (is this a good sized patio if I decide to put one?). If not Ill just do 1x4m path.

What does everyone think about a concrete path around the whole house? (1m). It would cost a bit, but if I dont do that I would grass the whole area and make a pathway to the house. I have read that a concrete path around the house protects the slab?

With regards to fence installations. Iv been quoted $65/m to install a colorbond fence. Should I tell the fencer to install the posts as soon as excavation has finished for my concrete car space slab? What about the areas where I will need to fence on top of existing concrete?

Lastly, is this garden shed too small? It would have to fit the tenant's lawnmower.
http://www.simplysheds.com.au/slimline-garden-shed-152-x-078-x-195-excess-stock-p-498.html

Last edited:
Also: patio or no patio? If I do a patio itll be 2.5x4m (is this a good sized patio if I decide to put one?). If not Ill just do 1x4m path.

Check with your granny flat builder/consutlant (did you use brazen) as patios/pergolas may be counted in gross square meterage. I think it is just pergolas/verandahs and not open patios but better to check first.

Tiles and kitchen are now in. nearly complete.

Concrete will be laid for the driveway and path today.

Currently have a huge issue with tiles. I had ordered rectified 600x600 tiles but it appears the tiler laid them with 3mm grout clearance. Some are not level and look like they might need to be replaced as there are highs and lows.

Anyway, will be sorting out insurance soon. Got a quote from EBM 200K front house and 120K granny flat. 1 building insurance policy and 2 Landlord for $1680.

Check with your granny flat builder/consutlant (did you use brazen) as patios/pergolas may be counted in gross square meterage. I think it is just pergolas/verandahs and not open patios but better to check first.

Hi Guys!
I was on holidays for 2 weeks so I apologise to those who PM'd me withourt a response.

To answer the question above, Patios, Verandahs, Sheds, Pergolas, Garages etc are NOT COUNTED in the 60 sq m. This means you can add them without penalty as long as the prescriptive landscaping requirements are still being met.
Have a read of this article which explains it better here:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/design-ideas/larger-than-60-square-metres/

Brazen.

Nearly there.

Everything is inside the house now, just needs paint. Couldnt get any pictures because the house was locked.

Here's the kitchen last week.
img2376je.jpg

Bathroom walls
img2373u.jpg

Dividing fence with gate to rear of main house. (also extra concrete carspot)
img2422d.jpg

Fence in front of granny flat
img2423bx.jpg

And there's still plenty of space behind the front house
img2421g.jpg

Looks pretty good Menty. As you've probably noticed by now, its the internal works that take up most of the works and $$

Looks good, thought I am not keen on the "3 frosted slit window" design, makes it look like the house is blind

Not sure what you mean by that brazen, but I really did underestimate my landscaping costs

Still have the neighbours 50m plus long fence to do

Should be complete this week.

Front of the place (With grass)
p1180180j.jpg

p1180181u.jpg

Dirty bathroom
p1180184.jpg

Only the ceiling is being painted today
p1180190.jpg

p1180192.jpg

2 car park spaces for the granny flat.
img2430yq.jpg

The front house's rear yard now looks like this
img2429x.jpg

Hopefully it will get a few more inquiries now the fence is up. Not one person has expressed interest in it for over 4 weeks. :(

Back