Anges Water

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for the future on Agnes Water? I bought a beautiful house on 4 acres 4 km from the beach almost two years ago with the intent of moving out there and commuting into Gladstone for work. However things have now changed and I can't see us moving to Agnes in the foreseeable future. This is a house I could easily retire to in about 10 years (with a bit of luck sooner). We bought at Agnes as things where hotting up here in Gladstone thinking there would be some flow on affect and we would get in before prices went through the roof, this hasn't happened although the property has gone up in value around $15k. Agnes will have a new high school set to open in January 2014 and there has always been talk of a new road from Turkey Beach to Agnes this would shorten the travel time to Gladstone from 80
to around 45 minutes and I'm sure it would cause property prices to skyrocket. I have spoken to council about the road on a few occasions and the feedback is the road has been talked about for the last 15 years it could take another 15 to happen, so I would bank on that. We do have the place rented returning a 4.6% gross yield but I'm thinking that $500k could do a lot better somewhere else. Has anyone got a crystal ball handy?

I stayed in Agnes Water for a week while I worked in Gladstone (well, Calliope to be exact) What a horrible commute! But Agnes is a beautiful, fantastic place and I loved staying there. Looking at the map, I can't see how a new road from Turkey Beach will help Agnes?

From my (very) brief experience, Agnes seems a bit out of the way, and a conscious lifestyle choice, rather than a natural expansion of the likes of Gladstone.

No crystal ball... and no predictions! :D

Yeah we love it! We spend most weekends there, just so far away from work. All the locals seem to be so frendy and happy not like Gladstone.

Last edited:
I too am waiting and wondering Jenko. I bought something at the top of the market years ago and it's now worth just over half that. Not pretty.:mad:

(Hence you don't see me providing investment advice much...........)

With the Gladstone boom having levelled off again, I can't see anything that is going to change Agnes now. It's a shame as it is a lovely place. We have been visiting for 20 years and have seen a lot of changes.

I am off there today to look at 2 places. Haven't been for a long time though.

Yes "the" road has been talked about as much as "the" airport.

Here's hoping.

I don't see why there's a need for a road between Turkey Beach and Agnes... there's hardly much traffic out that way! The existing route between Miriam Vale and Agnes itself already needs work due to the recent floods.

To shorten the travel time between Agnes and Gladstone? So more people would live at Agnes and commute to Gladstone to work.. Agnes is so much nicer then any suburb of Gladstone?

I "dropped in" for an hour on Friday to have a look at a house for a client and my unit.

Talking to a local who gave me a ride, it sounds like there is an "us and them" mentality going on between locals and tourists. That's not a good thing.

Sounds like the town is reasonably busy. A lot still backpacking.

Back