Another before and after thread

Mind giving us a break down of the costs?

Did you simply 'white knight' the tiles?

No, we replaced the tiles as the new kitchen benches were at a different height so tiles wouldn't have sat flush with the benchtops. Same with trying to fit the overhead cupboards and fridge space.

Rough breakdown of costs:

Kitchen $4900 (forgot to mention we outsourced the installation on this)
Appliances $1800 (oven, cooktop, rangehood, dishwasher, sink, tap)
Carpet $2500
Electrician $1000
Plumber $1500
Bath+shower+vanity+taps+toilet ~$2300
Woodfired heater $600
Landscaping $500 for plants, pine bark, letterbox + lots of bloody hard work, (thanks mum)
Paint $1350
Tiles, grout, glue, waterproofing $1000
Villaboard + cement sheeting $1000
Locksmith $240
Glazier $350
Window coverings $500
Lightfittings $200
Miscellaneous ~$1600

That last category I completely underestimated. Next time I'll know to allocate 10% of the budget to all those little things you end up making emergency Bunnings dashes for. Powerpoints, screws and nails, gap filler, sealants, turps, cloths, dust masks... you name it.

I think we could have spent less in the bathroom. It probably wasn't necessary to tile to the ceiling, but in terms of tiles+glue it cost maybe an extra $200-$300. It just took a fair bit of time.

We didn't anticipate having to replace the heater. Didn't think the carpet would cost that much, but we just couldn't find anyone who'd do it for less. I think we got a steal with the electrician, we had quotes up to $3000 so $1000 is a bargain as they've had to come out 3 days in a row.

Hmm what else. Probably didn't need to spend so much on villaboard, gyprock would have sufficed for the garage. Couldn't find the thinner cement sheeting for the bathroom floor so we had to pay for 3 thicker ones at $100 each.

Paint cost more than I expected, but we got it at trade prices from the Dulux Trade Centre so not much more I can do there.

The biggest bang for buck was the yard. $500! And that's including a $120 letterbox. Helps to have a keen gardener in the family :D
The stepping stone path in the back yard was made with bricks which mum discovered when she was digging up the soil in the yard. There were enough of them to make the path so that was free!

And that's it, hope that helps.

It's a good thing that you had before and after on the photos otherwise it would have been hard to tell :D . Great job!

This is a good example of why I have trouble buying at the right price to flip - people pay too much and expecting to net more than is realistic once the real numbers are done. If not for the blow out your profit would have been acceptable as I aim for around $25k min net profit on a buy price of around $200k, but with a lot less work than this. (Some also hold for a while and confuse CG with value added by reno.) But no better teacher than experience, and even if no profit it is one hell of a good training course.

Beachside, where do you buy for $200,000? I assume it's not in Sydney?

You are right that there's no better teacher than experience and I hope we make good students ;)

Beachside, where do you buy for $200,000? I assume it's not in Sydney?

You are right that there's no better teacher than experience and I hope we make good students ;)

Outside Sydney, but within 2 hours. I had to look further afield as Vaucluse houses have just edged outside $200k :p Still, too much competition from newby investors hoping to make a quick buck, speculators (buy and hold) buying while prices are low, and o/o who want something with a bit of work to do for a discount but not necessarily looking to make a profit.

Woohoo! Contract is unconditional as of today.

Sold for $275300, so a profit of $23,000. For a first go, I'm pretty damn happy with that :D

I've neglected to put the pictures of the front of the house before, so here they are.

And for any interested Tasmanians, the location was Old Beach.

Now on to the next deal!

Attachments

• Outside_front2.jpg
    Outside_front2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Outside_front1.jpg
    Outside_front1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 99
WOW!! excellent job, it looks great!!

We have a similar vintage house and hoping to do similar work! The place looks like its in good shape before you started and a good place to renvate. Did you come across many surprises? Any unexpected work required? The windows and skirts all look in good condition.

Where did you get the kitchen? Ikea?? The kitchen looks awesome! makes such an improvement!

I cant wait to do some similar work like yours!

Is the profit after stamp duty, legals and holding cost?

Yes it is.

The place looks like its in good shape before you started and a good place to renvate. Did you come across many surprises? Any unexpected work required? The windows and skirts all look in good condition.

Where did you get the kitchen? Ikea?? The kitchen looks awesome! makes such an improvement!

There weren't really any surprises other than me underestimating costs due to inexperience. The place definitely had good bones, it was just really really filthy and old inside which is why we got it for a good price in the first place.

Windows etc were mostly good, had to re-do the window putty in a couple of places as it was falling out.

Kitchen - there's no IKEA in Tassie :( We got a renovation guy to do it (I don't know if he's a cabinet maker, he does kitchens, bathrooms, painting, whatever). He supplied and installed.

You got a good bang for your buck on the front - change the salmon trim to grey, rip out the school fence.

Yep, that was probably the biggest improvement for the least cost.

Actually one surprise - once the bath was removed we discovered it didn't have a floor beneath it, it was just sitting on the beams. So we had to put in a new floor + cement sheeting + waterproofing. That was an extra $500 or so for materials.

$23K after e everying is so awesome. I will have to rethink about renovating and flipping. I didn't think there was any money in it these days with the high SD.

Thanks for sharing :)

Back