Bathroom renovation - as it happens...

Because I love "before and after" photos and threads, I thought I'd do a "work in progress" on our new bathroom. For 15 years we've had a shower over bath which I've grown to loath, too much cleaning of the bath and too much grout.

When we put in the toilet the plumber told us what sort of toilet would fit the existing plumbing and we (stupidly) didn't just change the plumbing. So we ended up with a fairly ugly pipe that has been hidden by different seats over the years, but cleaning it has been a PITA and with three sons and a husband, I should have bought a lid that could be quickly removed for cleaning. Live and learn.

Yesterday hubby has started demolishing the room.

Before -

Hubby blanked off water, removed all fittings except bath and old cupboard doors.

Halfway through demolition -

I'll update each day. It may bore some people and help them sleep :D but for anyone planning a bathroom renovation, it might provide some insight into costs etc.

Last edited:
Hi wylie,not boring at all. Will be looking foward to your updates.

Are you removing the bath and going shower only, or a combination of bath and shower?

Doing my own bathroom reno down the south east at the moment and have been recommended to Highgrove Bathrooms for Bathroom fixtures and fittings. Have bought an excellent vanity unit and some taps from them so far.

Link - http://www.highgrovebathrooms.com/

Stangman.

Thanks strangman. We are trying to squeeze both shower and bath into a 3m x 2m room. I've look at EVERY website and know Highgrove Bathrooms well. I have some interesting tales to tell regarding stores and pricing but must dash to work. Will update tomorrow. I can hear more demolishing as I type (and a bit of swearing too :D).

Hi Wylie

I won't be bored with the updates. We are about to gut a bathroom this afternoon so following your progress will be great motivation.

Looking forward to the updates ... can't wait to see the finished product.

We found the most efficient way to fit a decent sized shower into a bathroom was to go for one with a glass one with a curved swinging corner door ... either that or open plan with just a single glass side for splash control.

Love before, after and during photos.

We're building a new house and are doing the bathrooms atm. Got a 5 piece vanity set from an eBay store (they have a showroom in Brisbane). Great deal - $500 incl delivery for a contemporary wall hung vanity unit, sink, stone benchtop, mirror and shelving. You have to buy th mixer separately. They were very good to deal with too and fast delivery.

Let me know if you want to check it out and I'll send you the link.

I also get all my tapware from eBay too.

Can't wait to see more photos.

Hubby has taken the room back to its bones. The waterproofing is on the floor from 12 years ago and our tiler is calling later today to see it, and tell us whether he can go straight over it, or whether we have to rip up the sheeting over the boards so he can start afresh (fingers crossed he can go over it).

We ripped out the old cupboard, 1m wide 2.4m high of storage (at the doorway in one photo you can see this). We thought about keeping it and painting it gloss white, but the style of doors is "cottage" and doesn't suit the modern look we are going for. Also, when we built this cupboard we had eight drawers under and two doors above for sheets, towels, spare loo rolls etc. The drawers were fantastic with three little boys for socks, undies, swimmers, face washers, make-up, hairbrush etc, and kept the basin clear. I didn't have to sort out "whose undies are these - they all look the same". I just put them all in the drawer and each boy knew which were his - bliss!!! We had an old basin with no storage anyway, but did have a mirror cabinet pushed into the wall cavity, which we are repeating, but larger.

With only one son now using this bathroom with us, the drawers will go and we have bought the Pax 1m wide cupboard with white glass doors from Ikea $480 to slip into the space and give a modern, streamlined look. We thought about mirror doors to make the room look bigger, but that would reflect the toilet back into the hallway and dining room... ummmm no!

We thought about not replacing the cupboard. Sheets could go in another hall cupboard but the extra floorspace gained, was not worth losing so much storage. So many hard decisions and so many options of which way to configure the room. It has done my head in and even yesterday we were running through all the "what if we do this" options.

Due to having to fit a shower into a room only 3m x 2m we have ditched the wicker laundry basket and will use the glass door cupboard to house dirty laundry in removable nylon boxes that I can place a bag inside and just pick up and rotate the bags. It saves us the floorspace of a clothes basket.

Today we decide where our niches will go. We want to avoid a wall mounted shelf and will push a niche into one wall of the shower area and another in the wall above the bath beside the window with an LED water rated downlight in that one to give nice light for bathing and possibly leave on at night... hoping it might stop our son from turning on EVERY switch as he enters the room and having four heatlights, fan and 100W all burning, and then he leaves them all on once he leaves :mad:.

Bath coming out YEAY!!!

Naked room

Hubby today must move some studs and make room for the in-wall toilet cistern. We are pushing the cistern into the wall to gain a little extra floor space.

We bought a wall hung in-wall cistern and wall hung pan and flush panel, only to be told by the plumber that the steel beam under the house means we cannot use it. First plumber didn't mention it, so we will either keep it for another bathroom, or more likely sell it. We paid $800 for it in total (Grohe cistern and Argent pan so should get our money back - as it was a good price at the time).

We also bought an ebay basin that we will not use. It was a bit underwhelming when it arrived and we've gone bigger. That first basin was $180 so we will re-sell or keep it (easier to store that) and re-use it somewhere.

The bath I bought 15 months ago ended up being too big, but it was too good to leave. I paid $1000 for a stone bath (original price $5999) and the seller threw in a $400 toilet and a hinged bath screen. He had planned a new bathroom but sold his house instead and needed these gone.

I loved the bath, but when we got down to the nitty gritty, it was just too big for our room to work properly, so I sold it for $1000 and our son used the toilet and we'll hang onto the screen for the next bathroom in an IP.

Seems I have to buy two of anything before I get it right :D.

I'd like to see the link Angel13. We have what we want this time, but it always helps to know what is out there. We plan on doing a bathroom in an IP early next year, so once this is done, I'll look at getting things for that one.

I've bought some things on ebay, but for some things, we need to "see" them. The basin we got on ebay that we were disappointed with looked great in the photos, but when it got here, we were disappointed. Great for the IP bathroom though.

Hey Wylie this is great! I love watching reno projects and am about to embark on yet another PPOR one ourselves. When I get time I'll post up our kitchen reno pics (quite an adventure in decisions but we got there) and as bathrooms are next on our hit list, I'll be following yours with much interest.

Keep it coming :)

Hubby has framed the niches we are doing... one behind the bath to hold one of my mosaic creations, one behind the basin and under the mirror cabinet for liquid soap, tissues, whatever (like several bathrooms on The Block) and one in the shower for shampoo and conditioner etc so we don't have to have a shelf protruding into the shower area.

Instead of having tiles on the "shelf" part of these three niches, we are having white stone cut to suit for about $300 all up for three pieces. It means we don't have a grout line on the shelf and adds a bit of "pizzaz" without making too bold a statement. It also means the shelves will sit about 1cm proud of the tile wall and look at bit more "meaty" than just a tile.

We have chosen white matt finish tiles and now must decide whether to do clear glass for the shower or go for a fancy glass. I like the clear glass idea for making the room seem bigger and not "blocking" the view, but patterned glass would mean the toilet is not seen from the doorway.

Until now, we've been able to have someone in the shower behind a curtain and we can go in and out to clean teeth, go to the toilet etc. With a clear glass shower, that will not be something we will want to continue to do, especially with a 17 year old boy using the bathroom with us.

I like patterned (or a frosted strip) for ease of cleaning (I'm not going to run a squeegee over the glass on any sort of regular basis) and for the privacy. Have to decide soon...

We've gone a bit "glam" and sparkie has wired up some water rated LED lighting under the mirror cabinet, one water rated led downlight in the bath niche and another LED over the shower. He says he has used less wiring in whole houses than we've put in our little bathroom :D (but I know he is joking).

We also paid $800 to have a mat made up to heat the tiled floor. It will take the chill off the room in the winter and costs very little to run.

We are putting the switch for the four heat lights that will stay (for now) inside the mirror cabinet so our 17 year old will stop turning them on every time he goes into the room... and then leave 500 watts burning when he leaves. The thermostat is inside the cabinet plus a double power point.

Plumber comes in tomorrow to rough in the plumbing and hubby will sheet up over the weekend. Tiler comes in Monday to start the waterproofing.

After hubby pulled out the old bathroom, I've also found dust in places I didn't even know we had. I never want to renovate again :eek:.

This is taken from the doorway - do we use clear glass or frosted to give privacy and hide the toilet?

This is another photo from the same doorway

Hi wylie

Looks fantastic
can you tell me after you removed the tlies did you resheet the floor or similar as yours looks really good
the ones I seem to be doing seem yo be fairly unflat
and what did you do to cover the hole where the bath used to be

I see you are going to put a frameless shower
Are you going to waterproof under the shower?

Hi wylie

Looks fantastic

Thank you :)

can you tell me after you removed the tlies did you resheet the floor or similar as yours looks really good

The floor had compressed AC sheeting (I think that is what it is called) from when we did the bathroom up about 15 years ago. Our tiler says the waterproofing is very thick and different to what is used now, but because it is so thick and the AC sheeting is screwed down tight, it has not cracked or split. The edges where it went up the sides of the built-in bath need to be scraped to "smooth(ish)" with a flat shovel and he will go right over the top with his waterproofing.

the ones I seem to be doing seem yo be fairly unflat
and what did you do to cover the hole where the bath used to be

Hubby put floorboards back where the drainage was under the bath, removed the concrete bed for the bath and put AC sheeting to raise it to the same level as the rest of the floor. Our floor isn't really very flat, with little bumps under the old waterproofing. When we bought here the bathroom had some divided up areas and nib walls, and you can see them and feel the leftover dents, but the 40mm bed will cover all that.

I see you are going to put a frameless shower
Are you going to waterproof under the shower?

Whole room will be waterproofed.

The bath I bought is wider than the door (DOH!!!). We've considered removing the wall that holds the sliding door, removing the wall behind the build-in cupboard (which is now removed and a new one will go there), and taking the bath through the "hole" in the wall, turning one corner and walking it into our bedroom. That hole and sliding door would then be reinstated so the waterproofing can go ahead.

We can then have the waterproofing done with a lip where the new built-in cupboard will go so the waterproofing can be done properly to an "edge". The bath then is moved back into the room and the wall behind the built-in cupboard between the bathroom and our bedroom would be resheeted with plaster.

We've pondered on this but middle son build a cardboard bath (in the photo) to the right dimensions and we "walked" it through the two doors and small hallway and it will go through (just) without removing walls.

I was to the stage of just buying a different bath (again) to save all this headache but this one is stone. It is not the size but the weight. It will fit through on its side, but it is BLOODY heavy.

Hubby has rigged up a heavy duty dolly borrowed from son's workplace, used solid foam packing and taped it up well, so we can wheel it through the house. It took six men to get it to the back patio :eek:. Six men cannot fit into the hallway to manoeuvre it so we need to be smart to get it into the room.

I would not go for clear glass unless you are a neat freak and prepared to wipe over every little water drop. I believe there are treatments you can get on the new glass to make it need less cleaning, but claims are often optimistic unless you can get a recommendation from someone who has had it done.

We chose clear glass for the ensuite shower and regretted it. When we re-did the main bathroom we chose a glass with a narrow frosted "stripe" and it is far more forgiving of my "less than pristine" house cleaning.

Better things to do!!
Marg

We have frameless glass shower screens on all three bathrooms in the house and love it. I don't think I could ever go back. Shower power does the trick for cleaning.

Also if you use shower gel instead of soap it helps with soap scum.

Looking good. Can't wait to see more pics.

Photo of the room after second coat of waterproofing...

For those who want to know costs, the rough in plumbing has cost us $1500, one plumber working without a break from about 9ish to 5pm and another four hours or so next day (Saturday - what a man!).

Our regular plumber just never got back to us, so we got a quote from a plumber recommended by someone. His quote was $4K finished. We thought that was a bit high and got another quote - ballpark $2K. We said "no need for a firm quote" and booked him. Even if fit off is more than expected, it will not go near $4K.

We've bought two baths. I bought the first one a year ago, but shelved the whole bathroom idea - put in in the "too hard" basket. That purchase included a toilet and glass screen thrown in for free and I sold it for $200 more than I paid but gave the toilet to our son and will use the glass screen in an IP - so I'm relieved that little "mistake" didn't cost me anything except having to store a huge stone bath for a year).

The toilet we bought (wall hung - in wall cistern) couldn't be used without major issues to be resolved due to a huge steel beam about 40cm below where it exited the floor, so I quickly bought a wall faced floor mounted pan and another in wall cistern. I'll sell the original one or use it in an IP.

First wall hung cistern and pan plus soft close lid and flush button I paid $800 all up and when I had to quickly switch to a Geberit inwall cistern with a narrower depth, I paid $360 through Winnings Fortitude Valley the RRP Was $439, our price $373 and Reece wanted close to $540.

The first basin looked good on ebay and we needed a narrow(ish) profile, but when it arrived, it was just a bit underwhelming, so I'll keep it for an IP or sell it. I only paid $179 including plug and waste and bottle trap and the one we ended up buying as a replacement cost $671. Big price difference, but something we will use every day, so want to like it and not think "why did we settle for this"?

I looked at EVERY SINGLE bath available in Australia and had to find one that fit the layout originally planned, bought it, and then we changed the layout :eek:

It still will look good, but sometimes I think I should just have stuck a pin in a page and chosen that way. I went google eyed and spent days on the net, for just one item and one room!

There were lovely acrylic baths, but I really wanted a stone bath. I paid $1895 which was a low price for a stone bath, and only a little more (or the same as) some of the more expensive or "unusual" acrylic ones. Hubby just has to strengthen the floor a little.

Second time lucky for me :D

If we cannot get the bath through the hallway and doorways, I'll have to buy another one, but the carboard bath our son knocked up seems to indicate it gets through with about a cat's whisker to spare, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Also thought I'd give waterproofing and tiling costs.

Waterproofing $880
Plus waterproofing to three wall niches will cost $80 each x 3
Tiling floor and walls, bedding, and grouting $2980

Our underfloor heating cost $880 to have made up, including thermostat.

We've bought some lighting, LED strip light for under the basin cabinet and an LED niche light plus LED downlight above the shower and a fancy strip LED light that will hang down just above the mirror for makeup and general lighting.

Lighting is a bit of overkill for such a small room, but I want to be able to have some options and don't want to have a nice bubble bath with a plain bulb overhead... YUCK!

So, in total, we will be spending

Bath $1900
Basin $671
Toilet $1000 (little less in total)
Waterproofing and tiling total $4100
Tiles cost us about $700 all up
Ikea cupboard in place of old cupboard $800 (including fitting it out)
Lights $600
Shower screen will be about $2000
Plumbing estimated $3500
Sparkie (guess) $500(ish)

This comes to close to $20K (not counting free labour from hubby) but much of this is discretionary extras that we are happy to pay for.

Without making more expensive choices it could have been -

Bath $500
Basin $180
Toilet $150
Waterproofing and tiling total $4100
Tiles cost us about $700 all up
Paint old cupboard gloss white - $NIL
Lights $NIL
Shower screen will be about $2000
Plumbing estimated $3500
Sparkie $NIL

With less expensive choices we could have done this for $11K and a bit of free labour from hubby.

I'm quote happy to have splashed out a bit for our new bathroom. Just hope if looks good when it is finished. If it doesn't look good, we will be living with it anyway...

Last edited:
wylie, congrats, absolutely beautiful bathroom and it hasnt even finished yet?

just for my experience, any reason why you decied to concrete the floor? couldnt you have just put villaboard over it and just tiled over it and plonked the base of the shower in? or just tiles?

wylie, congrats, absolutely beautiful bathroom and it hasnt even finished yet?

just for my experience, any reason why you decied to concrete the floor? couldnt you have just put villaboard over it and just tiled over it and plonked the base of the shower in? or just tiles?

Thanks TMNT. I'm not sure how it will look when finished... smaller than we are used to and that is my main concern... but thank you :).

The floor isn't concrete, but that photo is a cement coloured thick layer of waterproofing. There is compressed AC sheet on top of the floorboards, then that waterproofing. The sparkie comes in tomorrow to lay out the heat mat which is pre-made to suit our room, and then the tiler comes in Thursday to lay the bed down on top of that waterproofing layer. We will have a step up, but we have had that for years, so it is not a big issue for us and we've never had a guest trip up the little step. I think people who are used to old houses are used to a step up into a bathroom.

If we wanted a shower tray we could have avoided the raised bed but we wanted a seamless tiled floor that runs straight into the shower, hence the need for the raised bed so we can get a slope in the shower area.

Heat mat made up to suit our room was installed by the sparky. We had to be careful that the temperature probe and wiring were able to be laid flat, and not left sticking up by the waterproofing.

Bed went in last Thursday, and floor tiles went down Friday -

Wall tiles start tomorrow, probably will take two days and grouting should be done Wednesday. Shower screen will be measured Thursday and one week later it should be installed.

Thank goodness we have a bathroom downstairs or we would be using a portaloo and having to resort to APC washes.

I'm thinking we will go clear glass and have a coating applied by the installer to protect the glass and make it easier to clean. The three companies who I liked for a sliding door screen all are similarly priced, but only one applies the coating. The others recommend and/or provide a DIY coating. We can do it ourselves for much less, but I like the fact that if we pay the company to do it, we get a ten year warranty (as long as we wipe it down with a microfibre cloth once a week). I can manage a once a week wipe down.

I'd like the privacy offered by an obscure glass, but it will make the bathroom look smaller... and it is pretty small to start with. And, our 17 year old son who shares the bathroom with us will no doubt stop wandering in like he could (and vice versa) when we had the privacy of a shower curtain, but that would no doubt happen soon anyway, as he gets older. We do have another toilet upstairs, but it gets neglected and grubby, but now I've cleaned it out we plan on keeping it cleaner and not dumping ladders, mops etc there as a quasi store room, so it can become more attractive to use than it has been for a long time.

I'm sick of dust and dirt, but we made sure EVERYBODY protected themselves and masked up :D

Back