Anti Procrastination Thread - Done your tax yet?

Well I'm still waiting for the verdict from the Notice of Objectment department of Revenue Canada. I was audited for my 2005 & 2006 tax return.
When gathering information we realized our accountant did our 2007 tax return wrong. So we decided not to file our 2008 returns until these are corrected.

Good to know we are not the only people filing late.

Unless you're expecting a refund, what's the hurry?

And it seems to me, if you are expecting a refund, you haven't organised your affairs very well. I'm happy taking interest-free loans from the tax office for as long as I can!

GP

Used to do work for the ATO (don't hate me) and the first lodged tax returns would be turning up in the system starting about 2am on the 1st of July.

BTW, mine has been done for 3 weeks, just waiting for the ATO to do their bit.

If someone said go for an hours drive and pick up 30K I'd be there in a flash, but put an hour into completing tax...nah..humans are weird!

Agreed, Nards! :eek:

Our 2006/07 ones are with the ATO, the 2007/08 almost finished (booked into see the Accountant on Tuesday) and the 2008/09 WILL be done when last year's has been lodged. (Has to be - I've already 'spent' the refunds! ;) )

C'mon, ozperp - the rest of us have confessed ..... confession is good for the soul, girl! :p

Cheers
Lynn

C'mon, ozperp - the rest of us have confessed ..... confession is good for the soul, girl! :p
Well, maybe it'll make some of you feel better... :eek:

04, 05, and 06 are completed but not lodged - but will be very soon! :eek:

Have thought about 07, haven't even thought about 08, and 09's not even on my radar yet... :eek:

mine are done, lodged and have had the money in my account for a week for those returns I get a refund for, the others can wait until April next year.(what! no gloating smiley????):D:D

Mine just done all ready to go off to the accountant.
It always make me feel much better once l have completed mine.
cheers
yadreamin

I stuff up book work as numbers are not my 'thing'.

Bookkeeper has all our paperwork and I have told him I want to put tax in early this year.

Accountant took 4 months to get our tax done last year, so wanting to get in early and get it done, then I want to start SMSF.

Cheers
Sheryn

To those who are doing returns from several years back..... will you be hit with a fine?

I cannot remember what I did last week, let alone four years ago :eek:.

I plan to do our preparation this week. I also planned to do it every week since 1 July :D.

I did 3 years worth in one go not long ago and I never got any fines. I got interest on refunded money though lol

Wylie

I have solved my problem of procrastination by hiring a bookkeeper, today I was chatting to my son and he has been 'going to do' his tax for a few weeks!

He has a folder/divider system set up and should have been doing it monthly all year but hasn't. He is now on his own...and knows to stand on his own 2 feet and do his tax.

My hope is the Henry Tax Review finds and easier way of doing our tax. I would love a swipe card system eg. buying goods for business goes on Tax swipe debit card, being paid for services goes on tax credit card.

Personal living costs goes on another card - incidently this is how I am endeavouring to set up our cards but remembering whether the card is a PIN or a signature card and whether we enter a debit or a cheque or a credit to get money out is defeating me!

SENIORS MOMENT
I was at the self service at Woolies last week (I rarely do the shopping) and usually have cash to pay for small grocery items, anyway I was trying to wave my credit card under the scanner when I should have been putting the credit card through swipe EFTPOS machine.

Eventually, I worked it out and swiped my credit card down the machine - then I tried to enter a PIN and it was a signature card. Well I was denied too many times. So I had to use the business credit card with PIN number finally to pay for $20.00 worth of groceries.

Slowly learning new bank's system.

Hoping Bookkeeper rings me tomorrow to say records are up to date and ready to go to Accountant.

Regards
Sheryn

We are expecting a nice refund, so everything done by the 3rd week July. When we sold and achieved CGT we delayed until April the following year, then quickly submitted when we realised that you were not able to lodge an ITVariation if you hadnt filed your return. And we have also submitted our Super Fund, Company and Trust returns to the accountant.

So, five banking accounts reconciled through MYOB; the share portfolio through Portfolio Planning, and personal accounts are done by excel. Always takes me much longer than I expect.

I had fines and quite substantial ones for some late tax returns a few years back. I owed them in a couple of cases.

:(

Didn't get any interest where they owed me.

Totally my fault - was just glad to get them out of the way so they stopped gnawing at my soul!

Well, maybe it'll make some of you feel better... :eek:

04, 05, and 06 are completed but not lodged - but will be very soon! :eek:

Have thought about 07, haven't even thought about 08, and 09's not even on my radar yet... :eek:

Mmm ... methinks you really do have a serious aversion to paperwork, Tracey!

Have you thought about getting a bookkeeper in once a fortnight (or however often one is needed) to do the dreaded IP stuff? I've no idea what this would cost - but maybe it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

(Please feel totally free to ignore this gratuitous advice ... coming, as it does, from someone who - many moons ago - used to get paid for preparing people's ITRs! Can't imagine anyone employing me to do that these days!!!) :eek:

To those who are doing returns from several years back..... will you be hit with a fine?

We haven't been fined in the past for late lodgement, so I don't think so, Wylie - besides, the ATO owes us ... (lots). :eek:

Cheers
Lynn

Last edited:
Generally you dont get fined unless you owe them money i think. I did 4 years at once one time and didnt get fined, my brother did 8 years worth a couple of years ago and only got fined for the one year he owed them money.

Im better organised these days though and lodged my return last wednesday, getting a very healthy return

What are the most popular things that we do with a tax return - should we be so lucky to get one?

Mine is going back into the LOC to increase my buffer - not exciting but if it wasn't for the IP's I wouldn't be getting much of a return, so I figure that's where it should go.

This year I'm getting our ITWV in earlier so will get it as we go, rather than in a lump - so no big return next year.

Back