Any good "general" forums you could recommend?

I have been asked by Francine to post a question, as she is having computer trouble.

She has had a few people criticise her for asking questions on this forum which are not related to property. I don't really see a problem, as the coffee lounge is full of similar questions, but to help her to find a more suitable place to ask these types of questions, she is looking for a forum where these more general type questions would be more easily answered.

Anybody?

I would suggest to stick with SS, despite the rocky start.
Most posters here are pretty polite and helpful i have found.

I can't suggest a better place.

SS is #1......

Dont let the small minority spoil it for you Francine.

People with small minds criticise others. People with great minds talk ideas.

Group hug people.....Cant ya just feel the serenity:)

I definetly wouldn't be going elsewhere, I used to get picked on heaps but you get far more people helping you and giving you good advice than rude people. The trick is not to take stuff to heart just use the bits that are useful to you and ignore the cyber bullies!

So far as I can see the coffee lounge is for posting about anything you like and if people don't like your subject no-one is forcing them to read the posts or make comment!

I did a internet search for something a while ago and there was a good answer on this forum.. http://forums.vogue.com.au/

Its pretty general.. and a little girlie, Francine may like it ;) I don't see anything wrong with asking general q's.. SS is such an amazing resource where you can pick the brains of some very helpful people :)

Francine - After your thread on bullying it prompted me to start reading this book. I can often relate to your posts and I'm finding this book excellent reading and I thought it may be good for you also. Sometimes I get so sick of dealing/thinking about property that I head straight for the coffee lounge for a laugh or insite of other people lives. All the best with whichever direction you choose to take.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Sweat-Small-Stuff-Its/dp/0786864109#reader

I have been asked by Francine to post a question, as she is having computer trouble.

She has had a few people criticise her for asking questions on this forum which are not related to property. I don't really see a problem, as the coffee lounge is full of similar questions, but to help her to find a more suitable place to ask these types of questions, she is looking for a forum where these more general type questions would be more easily answered.

Anybody?

Just to clarify that; I don't think anyone has actually criticised Fran for any of her questions at any stage.

There have been comments that some of her questions are a bit "off-base", but I reckon good on her, and the most stupid question is the one that is never asked.

It's the coffee lounge, so ask whatever you/she want/s.

other forums for general topics please.

I received a polite message from a moderator telling me to possibly google queries that are non property related as this is mainly a property investment forum.

Then without any warning or chance for me to respond and say 'ok i wont post anything non property related' , i was without warning locked out from the coffee forum till now.

so no they dont want non investment related issues here.

francine.

Last edited:

I'm not surprised you feel a bit ripped off.

So far in my time here I've posted on farming, droughts, climate change, canoes, guinea pigs, dirtbikes, harley davidsons, truck strikes, video camera's, State of origin, Gabriella Cilmi, tennis and alcohol, greenies, drugs, space travel and holidays. Nothing in these subjects related to property whatsoever.

And that's just the ones I can remember. :confused:

Not sure why they've picked on you?

See ya's.

As previously stated I have pretty much weaned myself off the somersoft forum largely due my interest pulling me in other directions. As much as you can post any topic in the coffee lounge if most of your posts on somersoft are non property related you might want to find other fourms you can share non property interests and passions with. Many of the parenting / baby websites enjoy discussing all those issues that pop up in life. I am enjoying sharing some other interests with people on other forums who are as passionate about them as I was about property. I am resisting posting about property on those forums :D

I received this pm from...

francine.
If they really did lock you out then that's a big thumbs down. Really piss poor.

I and many others don't seem to have a problem with your questions/threads.

Anyway, for what it's worth, when I've googled things before I've often found discussions on the topic I'm searching at the vogue forums. It seems to be a pretty good general website.

But you know, you get people whingeing wherever you go. Some people seem to have nothing better to do. Almost sounds like cyber bullying to me. To quote Dale Kerrigan, "tell 'em to get stuffed" :p

Last edited:
From the front page. Surely this means talk about anything that ISNT property related?

Coffee Lounge
Come on in, chat about anything... just don't spill the coffee on the keyboard ! Tea and Hot Chocolate also served.
Test messages are okay in here - but they may be deleted when the cleaner comes through to mop the floors.

As moderators we act on complaints and reported posts. We ain't going to please all the people all the time.....so be it. Get over it!

Posting a private message is not exactly helpful and trying to shame the mod team isn't at all productive. We send a lot of PM's between us and generally people are ok with our decisions when they understand why we have made them.

We all moderate for free because we appreciate SS and the great depth of knowledge that the forum provides. If you want a forum where anything goes there are plenty to choose from out there:p

As moderators we act on complaints and reported posts. We ain't going to please all the people all the time.....so be it. Get over it!
So your actions were the result of another user reporting Francine's posts?

I don't see the problem with a member actively creating offtopic threads in an area designed specifically for it.

Perhaps some people think it will detract time from constructive posters that might have otherwise answered queries in other parts of the forum in relation to property investing?

I think some off topic chat helps add to the community.

If offtopic posting is a problem then why not just remove the Coffee Lounge altogether?

For any questions related to Microsoft products I woul recommend Woody's Lounge.

Woody Leonhard has written books on many versions of Windows, Word, Excel and the like over many years. Check out Amazon. And he's not actively involved in the running of the board (like Jan and Ian Somers and this forum) he is financially supporting that forum and its upkeep (like Jan and Ian Somers and this forum).

And, like this forum, there are many people who contribute their knowledge for free. Again, like this forum, the depth of knowledge is extremely good.

I'd be happier if it was only about property investing, investing and or related too.
But if they say that anything can be posted, then so be it.
I would'nt really expect much help from any forum on many of those types of questions though imo.
It's like she's seeking the solution to every daily problem & question from this forum. And 99% of replies are irelevant lol.

If the questions were posted in the coffee lounge then I don't see the problem. I thought that was a free for all area.

There are two levels of posting which can cause us problems.

One is when people post a high self promotion count in proportion to their genuinely useful post count. Spammers are an obvious example. But there are people who potentially could contribute a great deal to the forum, who start out by posting little but self promoting posts. Sometimes, these people, when prompted, becvome very valuable contributors.

The other is when there is a lot of "noise" in relation to property posts.

This is a very difficult situation to deal with, and we mods don't always agree.

We have been very tolerant in the past of a lot of non property related posts.

Most members also contribute in other parts of the forum. Or have property related comments to make.

I know that Francine has made many good posts which have received many good responses. Including responses from myself

But we are, at the end of the day, property investors. And there has been a level of frustration with the ratio of property vs non property responses. Even in Coffee Lounge, which is very tolerant of topics individually.

Francine, you are welcome here. Really.

But if you have questions you can find answers for elsewhere (even Google at times) it would be more useful to yourself as well as to the forum.

And when you start to learn more about property investment, you will find better answers here than say, the Microsoft Products forum mentioned previously.

Good luck with your investments, with property investment, and with the internet.

It's a wonderful place to be. Especially when you look in the places that give you the best answers!

Back