Any home insurance that offers unoccupied cover more than 60 days?

Is there any home insurance that offers unoccupied cover more than 60 days for a few months? My current landlord cover won't cover unoccupied 60+ days. Thanks

I've had two different companies offer this for IPs we have been renovating when they would be empty for longer than 60 days. Funny thing was we were at the IP renovating longer each day than we spent at our own house, which was fully insured. Our own house was more at risk than the IP we were renovating.

The only thing was that the excess was $2K instead of $500 (or similar amounts).

I'm sure we were with CBA or Westpac at the time.

Just check some of the banks, or call an insurance broker who should be able to guide you.

It depends on reason it is vacant. I have read a lot of PDS's and some will cover longer if for sale (hence reason empty). Most seem to be subject to reason and you need to ask for consideration.

Although probably not relevant in your case there are very few who will cover loss of rent for an incident which occurs between tenants which results in damage preventing tenancy beyond any normal vacancy between tenants.

These few may be more flexible in unoccupied, because if the others can't get their head around covering for loss of rent as a result of damage while a house is vacant between leases (even 24 hours) then I doubt if they would have the consideration for covering anyone beyond 60 days unoccupied.

The more considerate ones (or those with an underwriter with some common sense) are:

Allianz
Comminsure (expensive)

But You would have trouble switching insurers and presenting them with long unoccupancy, much better chance if already a customer.

P.S. Some banks/REA franchises sell Allianz policies under their own banner.

Last edited:
I had requested my existing insurer Allianze for this and they said it will take them around 2 weeks to reach a decision. So in case they reject, is it good idea to look around now? Would there be a hit on my insurance file just to look around for quote?

I had requested my existing insurer Allianze for this and they said it will take them around 2 weeks to reach a decision. So in case they reject, is it good idea to look around now? Would there be a hit on my insurance file just to look around for quote?

If you pay me $500 I can tell you how to avoid that ;)

Back