any pub/taverns owners out there?

Gday guys,

Just wanting to hear from any pub/tavern owners out there..am looking at owning and running a pub which i will be developing as part of a high rise development..have never run a pub/tavern before in my life but am willing to learn..what kind of turnover a night can a good tavern generate in the right location?? heard some can generate more than $20k per night..sounds good..
would like to hear from any pub/tavern owners out there..pro's and cons..

Just wanting to hear from any pub/tavern owners out there..am looking at owning and running a pub which i will be developing as part of a high rise development..have never run a pub/tavern before in my life but am willing to learn..what kind of turnover a night can a good tavern generate in the right location?? heard some can generate more than $20k per night..sounds good..
would like to hear from any pub/tavern owners out there..pro's and cons..
A mate of mine has owned & run pubs for around 10 years. He gets a black eye every month of so, has stories most weeks about being groped, breaking up fights between big drunks, giving witness statements, dealing with staff that refill pokies with $2 coins instead of $1s, cleaning ash trays till 4AM, then back to work some days by 10AM. It's a small pub - he makes around $700K income pa. He doesn't have many mates - he hasn't got the time.

Hi muney
yea we had a tavern in a country town for about 3 years. It was a hell of an experiance. A lot of good and a lot of bad. It was a good cash flow business but boy did we earn every cent of it. Work 15/18 hour days for weeks on end at times. Not enough in it to put a manager on. We did everything to dunny cleaning to banking. Staff is always difficult mostly because you dont really need a lot of staff a lot of the time but when you do they are very hard to come by. Yes a country town is different from a city but l think the only difference would be is that the problems multiply. The main thing to remember is you get the best and the worst of your customers.They come to you to celebrate and they come to you to punch your head in when they hate the world. And you better be sober no matter which end of the stick you get. I know people who have 4 or 5 big pubs but they have been in the game a long long time.They have highly paid and trusted managers. To contemplate learning to run a pub and to develop it at the same time is a hell of a big bite to take.In city pubs you have to be prepared to revamp /re invent yourselves every couple of years to keep the crowd comming in your door. The hotels around us now employ security thurs frid sat and sundays, l would hate to pay that account but its a necessity these days. if you can why not try and get a barmans job in a pub near you for awhile, see if you can handle being on the other side of the bar because believe me its a whole new world over that side. BUT dont let me put you off l am glad we did it when we did we had a lot of fun some times and made some great friends from it.We had also worked in hotels for a few years before we took on the challenge and it was still a bloody shock l can tell you.
Oh and dont think that family and friends will help you out either cos they will just turn up, eat drink and get in the bloody way.
good luck
CHEERS
yadreamin

Back