Anybody hear what Mark Latham wants to do to CGT?

Peter 147 said:
Yes, Labour did introduce many reforms in the 1980, which the Libs have enjoyed the fruits of in the 1990s

The Liberals have only been in power nationally since March 1996.

However Labour gave it away with in fighting. They spent more time on point scoring and fighting for the leadership than governing. Most the 1990s labour years were all Keating versus Hawke.

That's a bit of an overstatement, given that Keating became PM in 1991. However you are right that the 1990-91 period distracted Labor from what was going on in the real economy and meant that interest rates were held too high for too long. Yes they did fiddle while Rome burnt in this short but crucial period.

After initial courage, they were unable to follow through due to Union pressure. Keating actually proposed at GST and got howled down.

Keating's proposed 12.5% 'consumption tax' discriminated against low income earners and would have been more regressive than either Hewson's 15% GST MkII (ex-food) or Howard's Democrat-modified 10% (ex-food) GST.

Peter Walsh's autobiography gives an excellent account on why it was bad policy and deserved to be defeated.

Then like all Gov after many years in office they got lazy. Super got more and more confusing, and they let the economy overheat in the 1990's with Quintex and Bonds and such. Many people lost money and some (myself included) lost jobs.

The sharemarket overheated in late 1987 and the economy (and property) overheated in 1988- early 89) I'm not sure if it's fair to entirely blame the Federal government for the failings of private companies. I think the banks, who were given the keys to the lolly shop when they were deregulated in 1983 deserve much of the blame. Also some of the state Labor governments (especially Vic, SA & WA) were guilty of getting into bed with big business.

Keating told us it was our fault "the recession we had to have". Despite this, and against a GST, they bought the 1993 election with LAW tax cuts.

The 1993 election was won on a lie from Keating - that you can have tax cuts but no GST. Of course this was never true and the result was the budget deficits of the 1994-96 period (when the economy was recovering and deficits should be falling as government fiscal stimulus to the economy became less necessary).

But the public fell for it. The result was the successful 'small target' strategy of Howard in the lead-up to the 1996 election. Labor copied 'small target' under Beazley. But the 'small target' strategy (of telling people what they want to hear) is bad for democracy long-term as it means politicians can't maturely talk to the public about national issues.

So the Libs got in 1996 with a small target strategy and to their credit, reformed Gov a lot and built of the strengths of the Labour changes. Australia has survived, the Asian crisis, tech boom, terrorism, and (so far) the oil shock and enjoyed a growing economy. IMHO this success is mostly due to the fact the Libs paid off a lot of Gov debt and introduced tax reform thereby insulated us against the world to some extent.

Tax takes the biggest proportion of GDP under Howard than it has for any previous government. At least though this is more responsible than running a big deficit, which as you say has insulated us.

However Howard has done some silly things financially, eg cut petrol tax indexation, pampered private health and given handouts to retirees that are either environmentally counterproductive, regressive or will increase government liabilities long-term. There are also inequalities in the tax and social security system that the government has done nothing about and disproportionately hurt PAYE taxpayers.

I still believe jobs and a low cost of living is worth more than any Gov sponsored program of social engineering.

I agree that low costs for necessities are very important as the poor benefit disproportionately. In this regard, micro-economic reform such as removing protection on clothing has probably been a good thing (except for those whose jobs were lost, and this industry has been in long-term decline even before tarifs were cut anyway).

I am not worried about a Latham government, even if they did abolish negative gearing.

Government policy changes seems to have a reverse effect to that intended. For instance removing -ve gearing in 85-86 may have increased rental yields by reducing supply. Investors who bought in this period did very well, benefiting from the 87-89 boom. And Howard's FHOG was a ploy that probably contributed to house price increases greater than what the grant was worth (excepting many country areas prior to 2002). So conditions may be different, but will not necessarily be worse.

Regards, Peter

perky29 said:
The Residex predictions of this current growth cycle believe there is up to 4 years more growth - and the change of government in 4 years will bring this current cycle to its REAL end (Residex have found in the past that each change of Government has brought each of the last 3 cycles to an end)....I hope they are right.
I hope they are wrong & the cycle ends with this election (whoever wins) :)

The political analysis is only partially correct.

If Residex analysed the figures a little closer they would discover that the last three property cycles actually ended at the precise point in time when there was a large drop in the population of Blue Morpho Butterflies in South America.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

perky29 said:
Interesting last Sunday what John Edwards said on 2UE.
Apparently Residex believe that Liberal/Coalition will win this one - only just....but will get ousted next time.
The Residex predictions of this current growth cycle believe there is up to 4 years more growth - and the change of government in 4 years will bring this current cycle to its REAL end (Residex have found in the past that each change of Government has brought each of the last 3 cycles to an end)....I hope they are right.

What a bold prediction from Residex!

In 2001, I bought a report from Residex for an IP that I owned in a suburb of Brisbane. Their prediction was ... 1% cap growth over the next 5 years. My property has apprieciated by 50% since then. I am glad that I didn't sell based on their advice! :D

I know take predictions from Residex with a grain of salt. The only certainty I have is that nobody really knows what may happen.

It seems to me that Resisdex uses mostly a statistical approach to extrapolate the future from the past.

For them to say that there are another 4 years of growth, after one of the biggest property boom we've had, and in an environment of rising interest rates, seems very courageous to me. :)

Cheers,

Spiderman said:
The Liberals have only been in power nationally since March 1996.

That's a bit of an overstatement, given that Keating became PM in 1991. However you are right that the 1990-91 period distracted Labor from what was going on in the real economy and meant that interest rates were held too high for too long. Yes they did fiddle while Rome burnt in this short but crucial period.

Keating's proposed 12.5% 'consumption tax' discriminated against low income earners and would have been more regressive than either Hewson's 15% GST MkII (ex-food) or Howard's Democrat-modified 10% (ex-food) GST.

Peter Walsh's autobiography gives an excellent account on why it was bad policy and deserved to be defeated.

The sharemarket overheated in late 1987 and the economy (and property) overheated in 1988- early 89) I'm not sure if it's fair to entirely blame the Federal government for the failings of private companies. I think the banks, who were given the keys to the lolly shop when they were deregulated in 1983 deserve much of the blame. Also some of the state Labor governments (especially Vic, SA & WA) were guilty of getting into bed with big business.

The 1993 election was won on a lie from Keating - that you can have tax cuts but no GST. Of course this was never true and the result was the budget deficits of the 1994-96 period (when the economy was recovering and deficits should be falling as government fiscal stimulus to the economy became less necessary).

But the public fell for it. The result was the successful 'small target' strategy of Howard in the lead-up to the 1996 election. Labor copied 'small target' under Beazley. But the 'small target' strategy (of telling people what they want to hear) is bad for democracy long-term as it means politicians can't maturely talk to the public about national issues.

Tax takes the biggest proportion of GDP under Howard than it has for any previous government. At least though this is more responsible than running a big deficit, which as you say has insulated us.

However Howard has done some silly things financially, eg cut petrol tax indexation, pampered private health and given handouts to retirees that are either environmentally counterproductive, regressive or will increase government liabilities long-term. There are also inequalities in the tax and social security system that the government has done nothing about and disproportionately hurt PAYE taxpayers.

I agree that low costs for necessities are very important as the poor benefit disproportionately. In this regard, micro-economic reform such as removing protection on clothing has probably been a good thing (except for those whose jobs were lost, and this industry has been in long-term decline even before tarifs were cut anyway).

I am not worried about a Latham government, even if they did abolish negative gearing.

Government policy changes seems to have a reverse effect to that intended. For instance removing -ve gearing in 85-86 may have increased rental yields by reducing supply. Investors who bought in this period did very well, benefiting from the 87-89 boom. And Howard's FHOG was a ploy that probably contributed to house price increases greater than what the grant was worth (excepting many country areas prior to 2002). So conditions may be different, but will not necessarily be worse.

Regards, Peter

Thanks Spiderman for providing another side to the story.

I have to admit that I am also a bit worried about Labour ability to manage the economy. However, I am also very disappointed by Howard's frequent twisting of the truth. I would expect a bit more integrity at the top level.

I am sure which is of a lesser evil.

Thanks for providing a different perspective anyway.

Cheers,

House_Keeper said:
I have been in Australia for only 10 years. I don't know the history as well as many of you.

90% of the population probably has little knowledge and/or memory of history, both political and otherwise - particularly those whom have spent their whole life here... :D

Did anyone see Latham on Ch 7 Sunrise this morning?
Will you change laws in regards to negative gearing.......NO
Will you change laws in respect to CGT.......................NO

I wonder if he will keep his promise?

Back