Anyone buy an IPAD?? thoughts and impressions..

*snip*
For those who like the experience of flicking through a newspaper, or newspapers full stop, then i highly reccomend Pressreader. Originally from Sydney, its always good to catch up on the local rag. Warts and all :)

Youd better get it quick to use the trial. Its being abused at the mo, so im not sure how long itl last in its current form.

Just type in "2010" and you get an unlimited supply of newspapers for a month. Great thing about the free trial is that you dont have to supply credit card details etc. They prompt you after the month, and if you want, you can continue. "I hate" having to punch in the Cred Card to trial things over the web. Glad they dont do it for pressreader

This is about the 4th time you've said that you can get so many newspapers on it. There must be something else it'll do too, right? ;) And how do you have enough time in your day to read more than 1 or 2 newspapers? :D

Now this is nifty. http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?/posts/australian_restaurant_uses_ipads_for_menus/ But a bit of overkill, IMO - I'm sure there are plenty of other devices that can do the same job. Seems to me it's like jumping in the semi to go to the milk bar for a loaf of bread. :D

This is about the 4th time you've said that you can get so many newspapers on it. There must be something else it'll do too, right? ;) And how do you have enough time in your day to read more than 1 or 2 newspapers?

Now this is nifty. http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?/posts/australian_restaurant_uses_ipads_for_menus/ But a bit of overkill, IMO - I'm sure there are plenty of other devices that can do the same job. Seems to me it's like jumping in the semi to go to the milk bar for a loaf of bread.

Hmmm. You scare me with your accuracy WC:p that was the only time I mentioned it like that. Before I commented on someones else quip ... "Awsome app. Heres a guy from Oz using it"

But hey, let's not let silly things like facts get in the way of a good ribbing:D

I'm actually on my 3rd "paper" today!!:eek: I work in the mines. I do what's commonly referred to as a "swing";) it involves not working for a week or 2

That loop thing, I agree, looks odd. have you heard of the microsoft surface WC? I think that'll make some waves. You tube has some good examples

*pulls head in* :eek:

OK, so you've only mentioned newspapers once before, it was cloudyday who seems keen on lots and lots of them. It's all starting to blurrrr..... :D

I have an IPAD and I love it.

It is not a netbook. It is quiet, no whirring and chugging of fans.

We download the Australian App each morning, rather than read the paper. Buying the paper costs us around $500 a year; this way we are paying (currently) $48 a year.

I have the kindle app on it for reading; I buy books from Amazon - the average ebook costs around $10 - in Australia a paperback costs a minimum of $25 - $30 for a latest release. I can download that book to up to six other ipads, iphones or laptops for free by sharing the Amazon account with those devices. Currently I have 200 books on it waiting for me to read.

It is lightweight for travel purposes, synching calendars and emails with our server; and the battery life leaves laptops for dead.

It is an internet browser, photo storage, movie storage, music library. It is great for people with visual issues - macular degeneration and the like.

The Apps, the apps are amazing and an add on benefit. You can use the ipad with a projector attachment for powerpoint demos, film clips etc etc - all without the bulk and noise of a laptop, and it starts up immediately.

I just read Alan Kohlers review - I have no idea why he has a problem with the screen keyboard. It is dead set easy to use.

Of course there are other options, but just as the ipod took over other mp3 players then the ipad will be around a long time.

How is the IPAD when replying to a message on a forum like SS? is it easy enough to use or to fiddly?

If i got one i'd use it for viewing websites, replying to topics on messageboards, newspapers, e-books, email etc.

Webpages and forum posts are extremely easy. And today my son bought something online so those functions are fine. Ebooks - very easy and you can change font size, brightness and colour of the background ( white, black or sepia).
I also have a kindle which is a little smaller but the iPad is hubby's. Well, that is the story anyway. I do admit to being a gadget girl but I use the tech products I buy until they wear out. I don't buy gadgets that I won't use.
I love having all my photos and favorite videos on it.

it's probably a more convenient thing than a laptop if you just want to read

i personally read a lot of electronic books and love to read in bed or on the couch, but laptop just doesn't cut it

this would do, but i would wait for it to become cheaper

I agree, it's a bit overpriced. :(

But still I got mine and happy with it so far.

It's slowly replacing my Kindle for sure! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, it's a bit overpriced. :(

But still I got mine and happy with it so far.

It's slowly replacing my Kindle for sure! :p

The kindle app is pretty awsome. Too bad ibooks is tied up with publishers and their inability to cope with such a device. Think the OZ ibooks app starts getting proper content in Nov?

How cool is it that we can get books at the same price as americans through the kindle app. That whole economies of scale thing just got blasted out of the water. Soon "books" will be even cheaper when publishers realise they dont need the middle men and push the books themselves.

Writers will end up richer for the simple fact that they can now push there own books too!! yay for cheap books!

One of the guys at work recently purchased an iPAD and is amazed at the speed of it connecting to the net compared to the household laptops. He reckons the family fights over using it

They've begun using it as a photo album as well, it sits in a rack in a prominent place scrolling through family photos/albums

watch a 2 year old using the iPAD here

I utterly enjoyed watching a person next to me in a lecture using their new ipad. From what I can understand the screen was insufficient in size to show the notes and touch keyboard so he had to use the extra keyboard attachment which made the Ipad rather top heavy, due to this he had to use one hand to hold the Ipad steady the entire time while typing one handed. Oh yes, innovation!

Hmmm your right.not very innovative. I'm typing with two hands now. And I'm on barrow island driving a crane. Use it for weather alot.

Guess some people just don't know how to use it. Strange since it's a bit too easy to use in my eyes

Was round at a fanboi mate's place today and he had one.

Heavier that I thought, and (perhaps particular to this individual) it was going to totally replace his laptops and operate as a POS at his shop! (I think this is the 3rd time "it's going to change everything" - like the iPhone, etc)

With a particular application, I can see that this is a useful appliance but it still comes back to (for me) have the need first, then get the right device that fills that need. If iPAd is it, then great! Otherwise, get the right device/application to fill the need.

A guy is coming back to Australia- he is asked if he has anything to declare.

"Yes" he says. "I have an advance copy of the latest iPhone. It won't be here for another two years".

"What does it do?" asks the customs agent.

"Everything" he replies. "It takes movies in 3D. It plays them back as holographic images- no need for 3D glasses. It has amazing wall to wall sound. It can even teleport".

"I'd actually like to buy that" says the agent.

"It will cost you. It's unique".

So they negotiate a price- a very big one.

The guy hands over the iPhone after receiving the money- and then hands over a very heavy large suitcase.

"What's that?" asks the agent.

"That's the battery".

Stranik my teen daughter worked saved and bought iPod touch 32 g for 200 from eBay in new condition. eBay is great . People get something from work and almost give away what they already hAd.

Re ipad sounds fabulous .
Someone convinced me to get an iPhone and it has so improved my life . U just can't compare these to netbooks for ease of use .

Back